Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2013 3:55:17 PM EDT
I bought a pretty nice (for me) spotting scope last year

It came with a crappy tripod and terrible bag to keep it in

Upgraded tripod but i'd like something a little more protective to keep it in and transport it

I was thinking maybe a pelican case? Never owned one but I hear good things

What do you guys use?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:07:31 PM EDT
[#1]
The hard case it came in. It's just a Tasco, but it works great for the price, and the hard case protects it fine.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:07:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Mine is a pretty cheap Tasco but it did come in a hard case so I use that.

Any decent optic deserves a hard case. Pelican is good or Storm or even a lighter non-waterproof case for budget reasons.
They do make tripod cases, both soft and hard, look at Adorama or B&H (site sponsors) for those.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:28:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a MKIV. It gets the cover that it came in, goes in the ruck, then where ever I am taking it. It is a piece of field equipment, as such I expect it to be durable enough to use in the field. That said, I am not chunking it around for my amusement either.

My precision rifles are treated the same. I will either sling them or throw them in a Gunslinger, and go about my business. So far I have had no issues with any said equipment.

ETA: That read rougher than I intended it to be.

Pelican
This one should fit a spotter
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:30:49 PM EDT
[#4]
In an old sock.

It's a crappy Bass Pro model, the sock just keeps it from getting (more) scratched.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:43:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Pelican1450

The 'cute' little gitzo tripod in there is all but useless if a wind is blowing, but if I have a senior moment and forget the full size tripod I normally use, at least all is not lost.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:09:06 PM EDT
[#6]
In its original packing box.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:17:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Surplus PVS-4 case.  Check ebay.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:18:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Pelican.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:19:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I throw it in my backpack.  I'm not dragging a case in the mountains.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:20:27 PM EDT
[#10]
it's attached to my rifle... i call it a scope.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:22:24 PM EDT
[#11]
In between the rifles in a hard case. Tripod stays bungeed to the wheeled toolbox that carries the rest of my crap.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:29:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:31:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Cheap scope i have goes in the cheap case it came in.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:51:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cheap scope i have goes in the cheap case it came in.
View Quote

Same for me, but that cheap ass Tasco has worked everytime I've needed it at the range.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:55:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Barska came in a case....
crap...
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:14:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Pelican1450The 'cute' little gitzo tripod in there is all but useless if a wind is blowing, but if I have a senior moment and forget the full size tripod I normally use, at least all is not lost.
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x167/50-140/DSC00999_zps24a1fb6a.jpg

View Quote

That's pretty much a clone for my set up,  including the small backup tripod.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:26:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Leupold...in a neoprene "sock" style bag...maybe I should upgrade but it's really fast for looking at the neighbors

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:32:16 PM EDT
[#18]
If you have to protect the thing like china, you bought the wrong gear.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:41:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't...but I don't have a big car so things have a tendency to get crammed together
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:48:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I don't...but I don't have a big car so things have a tendency to get crammed together
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have Zeiss binos and a Leupold spotting scope.  I really don't take care of them all that well.  The binos ride with me in a pickup and sometimes get cleaned with a t-shirt or some other horrible cleaning tool.  The Leupold rides with me all hunting season and ends up on the floor, kicked around and not at all taken care of.  When I go to the mountains it gets worse.  I had my pack slip off my horse while packing in and all my shit rolled about 50 yards down the mountain.  Pro-tip.....Make two trips up.  You'll almost kill your horse doing it in one.  And you'll get to pack him twice.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:02:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I throw it in my backpack.  I'm not dragging a case in the mountains.
View Quote

This!

Hardcase is great in the truck or on a 4 wheeler, but I wouldn't want to carry it on foot any distance. My el cheapo Burris came in a small padded bag with a shoulder strap. I throw that in my backpack.

Maybe you could invest in a piece of 4" pvc pipe, some caps and some foam padding for something to throw in a pack. Or just put Blizzard caps on it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:03:57 PM EDT
[#22]
I've got a Bushnell 18x-36x and I just keep it in its original box, if I'm lugging it to the range, which hasn't been all that often.

Chris
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:08:15 PM EDT
[#23]
it only goes to the range, i'm not a hunter
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:18:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

You'll never fuck it up then.  Put it on the passenger seat.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:22:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have passengers in the passenger seat

It goes in the trunk or in my back seat where all my tools are (I work construction and my car is perpetually filled with tools, this isn't a take them out every time you go kinda thing)
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:33:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's right, I know you want to take care of your stuff, but hard cases are kind of a PITA. They take up lots of room for their volume, and are not real convenient to cart around when you have other stuff to carry. You will find out that you spotter is pretty durable and end up sticking it in your range bag with the rest of your stuff.

Hard cases do have application. If I were to subject my sensitive items to any kind of baggage handlers, they would be in a hard case.

ETA: You posted while I was typing. If thats the case get one big enough to fit all of your stuff that needs protection, so you only have to haul one case.

EDIT again: That's where post 223 went, at least I was trying to be helpful.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:34:36 PM EDT
[#27]
my leupold mk4 is thrown in a tough box with a bunch of other shooting stuff.  It is strong it will survive.  I throw it in my bag when I go out to shoot and enjoy it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:38:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Soft zip case it came in. Then in the range bag it goes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top