Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2013 2:21:19 PM EDT
I started looking for one in the 400-450cc range. I currently use my riding mower and dump cart to haul wood, brink, stone, garbage, and whatever. The problem is that's not what the mower is made for and I can't take it beyond the cleared part of my property. I'm looking for something that can go into the woods, is tough, can haul (I've seen this size can haul 1300lbs.) Also used for carrying hunting equipment and harvested animals. I looked at the Yamaha Grizzly 450 then started looking for used, but couldn't find much that made it worth not buying new. Any suggestions on models, brands, features? I did a search, but couldn't find anything.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:26:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I am a Yamaha guy, and currently have a Kodiak 450, basically the same as the current Grizzly 450. My suggestions would be get something with EFI. Other than that, it really doesnt matter, they are all pretty good.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:31:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am a Yamaha guy, and currently have a Kodiak 450, basically the same as the current Grizzly 450. My suggestions would be get something with EFI. Other than that, it really doesnt matter, they are all pretty good.
View Quote

Electronic Fuel Injection? I think they all do, I'm looking at 2013 models, but I guess if I look at used I'd have to be aware of that. What is the deal with "EPS"? I did the model comparison and can't seem to figure out the difference.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:37:49 PM EDT
[#3]
If you're looking for something that will mainly be used as a utility bike I would get a Honda, something like a 420 Rancher.

Mainly because they come with real transmissions.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:39:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Electric Power Steering. Its a nice doodad, but I have never been tempted to sell mine just to get it.

The 2013 450 is still carbureted. Mine doesn't give me any issues, but EFI would just be simpler to live with in the long run. Realistically, there really isn't a huge advantage, but I am a pretty big fan of not having to jack with stuff.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:40:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a 2004 Yamaha Kodiak 450 with 150 miles on it.  It's been sitting idle since I bought a new Polaris Ranger Crew (6 passenger) UTV back in 2010.  I use the Ranger almost everyday.  It's a nice machine and pretty quiet compared to the Kawasakis and Can Am's.  Those things are louder than shit.

Tony

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:41:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If you're looking for something that will mainly be used as a utility bike I would get a Honda, something like a 420 Rancher.

View Quote

This is a valid argument, and Hondas are bulletproof machines. That being said, the Yamaha belt drive is pretty well sorted out, and doesn't give any issues. I kind of like the automatic. I can hop on it and go, one leg, sidestraddle, etc....and I despise the Honda Electric Shift.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:43:45 PM EDT
[#7]
What's "brink"?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:49:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Electric Power Steering. Its a nice doodad, but I have never been tempted to sell mine just to get it.

The 2013 450 is still carbureted. Mine doesn't give me any issues, but EFI would just be simpler to live with in the long run. Realistically, there really isn't a huge advantage, but I am a pretty big fan of not having to jack with stuff.
View Quote
I love my '11 Kingquad 750 with EPS. The bear outfitter I went to this spring had Suzuki Kingquad 500s and loved them. Light enough to throw around in the bush country and powerful enough to haul bear baits and bears as well as pulling boats through the bush to get to remote lakes. My Kingquad is a good comfortable ride, with enough power (not as much as the 750 V-twins) but is built a little cheaper. The mechanical parts are stout enough but the body/plastics leave something to be desired. That being said I paid just over 8K for it brand new, so I'm not too disappointed. I'd give them a look. I have literally beat the shit out of mine and it still runs just like I drove it off of the showroom floor.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:03:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Goal would be to keep it at or under 6,300 for sake of the 2013 Grizzly 450.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:37:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Ok, 2013 Polaris Sportsman 400 has the most towing and best weight for the racks and the least expensive. Why are they overlooked?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:39:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Ok, 2013 Polaris Sportsman 400 has the most towing and best weight for the racks and the least expensive. Why are they overlooked?
View Quote

I believe the smaller Polaris is carbed still

ETA, look at arctic cat
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:42:16 PM EDT
[#12]
There are a lot of guys who do not like Polaris. I am one of them. That being said, they are just too heavy to do the kind of riding I do but may be perfectly good for what you want. I would look at either Yamaha, Suzuki, or Kawasaki. There is absolutely wrong with the Yamaha.

ETA: Not sure if you want to finance it, but the Suzuki Kingquad 400 is $6500 base price and they are running a 0 interest for 60 months deal through the end of the month. They do this quite often, so I'm sure they will have the same deal in a few months.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:11:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
There are a lot of guys who do not like Polaris. I am one of them. That being said, they are just too heavy to do the kind of riding I do but may be perfectly good for what you want. I would look at either Yamaha, Suzuki, or Kawasaki. There is absolutely wrong with the Yamaha.  

ETA: Not sure if you want to finance it, but the Suzuki Kingquad 400 is $6500 base price and they are running a 0 interest for 60 months deal through the end of the month. They do this quite often, so I'm sure they will have the same deal in a few months.
View Quote

OK, will look into this. Thanks
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:27:25 PM EDT
[#14]
I bought a used $1500 Honda several yrs. ago, as my buddies were buying new $6-8K units.  Mine is now more reliable.  Pulls trailer, hauls deer, and gear.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:32:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I bought a used $1500 Honda several yrs. ago, as my buddies were buying new $6-8K units.  Mine is now more reliable.  Pulls trailer, hauls deer, and gear.
View Quote

I looked for used but couldn't find much that made it worth not buying new. What do you mean, "mine is now more reliable"?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:33:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Looking at both the ASI and FSI, can't seem to see a difference between them besides weight. Also, no listing of towing capacity.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:50:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I looked for used but couldn't find much that made it worth not buying new. What do you mean, "mine is now more reliable"?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My 2000 Honda has just held up better than my buddies later model Polaris and Arctic Cats.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:05:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Came here to suggest the rancher.  I know several farmers that use them down here and they've been good.  much better than the older ranchers, but nothing like the old fourtrax 300.  

as for as the belt transmissions on the yamahas and other bikes, I don't care for them.  More of a personal preference than anything, but I know enough about them to know that I'd rather have gears than a belt.  YMMV
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:08:46 PM EDT
[#19]
OP, you need a kitty like mine.

It is my pick up, my tractor and my transpo. Great ATV and only 400cc

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:11:47 PM EDT
[#20]

Is that tilting bed an accessory you purchased? What size trailer hitch does it use? 2"?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:17:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Op, i just bought a 2013 rancher last thursday for the hunting lease.  I got the most basic model, solid rear axle, foot shift and 4x2.  I love it.  

More importantly, i got it out the door after all fees for under 5k.  Tested it out this weekend and couldnt be happier with my decision.  It even hauled a 8 ft utility trailer with a 400 lb bear on it through some really ugly stuff like it is nothing.

Not as high end as some of the other guys stuff but Honda can really build an atv, motorcycle, etc.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:22:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Op, i just bought a 2013 rancher last thursday for the hunting lease.  I got the most basic model, solid rear axle, foot shift and 4x2.  I love it.  

More importantly, i got it out the door after all fees for under 5k.  Tested it out this weekend and couldnt be happier with my decision.  It even hauled a 8 ft utility trailer with a 400 lb bear on it through some really ugly stuff like it is nothing.

Not as high end as some of the other guys stuff but Honda can really build an atv, motorcycle, etc.

View Quote

Interesting. I figured the 4x4 was a must. Can anyone shed light on this? I assumed like a pickup truck, there is no point in not getting 4x4. I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:24:54 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Interesting. I figured the 4x4 was a must. Can anyone shed light on this? I assumed like a pickup truck, there is no point in not getting 4x4. I could be wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

In my experience, it is more about knowing your limitations.  Really deep mud or deep snow i would want 4x4.  Never needed it for anything else.  I think the tires are set at something stupid like 5 psi...plenty of traction in most situations.

Edit- i was concerned with breaking my truck getting up to where i wanted to hunt, truck is a v8 4runner with dual lockers and 33 inch bfg km2 tires.  Had a pretty ugly go of it the week before.  The 4x2 rancher laughed at it all.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:27:17 PM EDT
[#24]
For me, 4x4 is not negotiable, just as I consider a front diff lock, IRS, and low range necessities. Everyone's uses are different, however, and a 2wd ATV will do a pretty good amount of work, with a huge cost savings up front, and simplicity down the road.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:30:35 PM EDT
[#25]
I have an 04 Honda Foreman 450. It's the "dreaded ES model". It's never given me any trouble. Replaced tie rod ends and wheel bearings. It's got over 2000 miles on it now. I've got a small lift and mud tires on it and its geared so low that I still use 2nd gear as first unless I'm pulling something super heavy or going up a steep incline. I pull a 5x8 utility trailer loaded with wood, rocks, lumber. It's a great machine.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:31:00 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

For me, 4x4 is not negotiable, just as I consider a front diff lock, IRS, and low range necessities. Everyone's uses are different, however, and a 2wd ATV will do a pretty good amount of work, with a huge cost savings up front, and simplicity down the road.
View Quote
True, and the sticker shock of 4x4 is what got me.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:31:00 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Is that tilting bed an accessory you purchased? What size trailer hitch does it use? 2"?
View All Quotes
Standard tilting bed. 2" hitch.

http://www.arcticcat.com/atv/category/utility/

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:31:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats why I buy used. None of these damn things is worth what they cost new.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:33:23 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I tried for a month to buy used, the last guy i contacted via text on craigslist i was pretty sure was going to kill, rape and eat me if i went to look at the atv.  Figured screw it.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:35:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I tried for a month to buy used, the last guy i contacted via text on craigslist i was pretty sure was going to kill, rape and eat me if i went to look at the atv.  Figured screw it.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also, used doesn't come with a warranty.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:36:09 PM EDT
[#31]
The Grizzly's are bad ass quads. I just traded my '10 Grizzly 450 for a 700 with EPS. EPS is amazing, can't believe how much of an improvement it makes. Makes the 700 feel like your maneuvering a little 450 through the trails. would opt for a used 700 over a new 450. Have a 800 Can Am Renegade also,  and I'm going to trade it for another grizzly 700 w/EPS.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:38:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Pic

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:39:52 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm a Honda guy myself. My dad's 95 fourtrax 300 still looks new and runs like a champ to this day with no major work. I bought an 06 foreman 500 new back in 07. It's built like a tank and takes any kind of abuse I throw at it (it's been a lot of abuse). If I swamp it in deep water I just got to drain the carb and I'm good to go until I do it again .  The electric shift is nice but it get kind of finicky in cold weather.

If I were to do it all over again buying brand new I would've spent a little more and got into a can am. There is so much more power with those it's not even funny. When me and my buddies are out wheeling I'm usually close to the back of the pack because of the lack of top end but I don't think your really going to be pushing your wheeler to it's limits from what you said. From your description I would still recommend a Honda, it will last forever for your needs.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:42:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought a very nice used 2006 Kodiak 450 IRS with 300hrs on it for less than $3000, and the guy never even came on to me. As for the warranty, I fix my own stuff, so thats not a concern in the least. ATVs are so simple, and parts so cheap that it really is not a concern, unless you simply dont care to do it yourself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top