Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/28/2013 1:30:51 PM EDT
Obviously someone is buying, because otherwise they wouldn't devote valuable table space to it.  And I'm not talking one or two items, some people have entire tables devoted to swastika kitsch.

Re-enactors?  How many of them are there out there?  And you'd think they would all already have all their stuff by now.  It seems like a pretty limited market for the amount of items for sale.  And original Nazi-marked dishware?  Srsly?  What, are they re-creating bunker dinner parties?

Of course there's the obligatory "angry young men looking to shock" demographic.  But after seig-heiling around a few times & getting the expected (and craved) outraged reactions, I'd think they'd be off to the next fad, facial piercings or Justin Beiber or something.

So who the fuck would want this stuff?  Interesting, sure, but this is more stuff that belongs in a museum than something I'd want on my coffee table.  I suppose it's sort of neat to have, in a macabre kind of way, like having a Genghis Khan knife or something, but still not what I'd want sitting around the house.  Are there really enough neo-Nazis around to support the sellers, and do they really want that clientele?

So does anyone here collect that kind of stuff?  Why?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:31:31 PM EDT
[#1]
8 pages
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:32:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Most of those stuff they sell at fun shows (especially daggers and what not) are repros.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:32:33 PM EDT
[#3]
IBTL
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:33:43 PM EDT
[#5]
"history buffs"

Supposedly so we don't forget.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:33:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Pretty elaborate for a troll thread.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:34:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IBTL
View Quote

Wuffo?  Will this thread smoke out the Arfdotcom closet Nazis?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:34:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I have some items like that.  My family always referred to those tables as "Nazi underwear" vendors.

I always saw these items as war booty.  "My grandpappy kicked your grandpappy's ass... and now I've got your dinner plates."

Anyone who hangs up a ton of Nazi shit on the wall has issues.

I put Japanese war booty on the walls, but would not put up Nazi stuff.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:37:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Illinois nazis?

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:37:42 PM EDT
[#10]
I would honestly buy a piece of actual history with insignia on it, but it would be tough to verify authenticity.

Like a rifle or bayonet or something that was actually part of the war is real to life history and should be preserved.

The reproduction stuff though, burn it, all of it. The only people buying it believe in the message associated with it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:38:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have some items like that.  My family always referred to those tables as "Nazi underwear" vendors.

I always saw these items as war booty.  "My grandpappy kicked your grandpappy's ass... and now I've got your dinner plates."

Anyone who hangs up a ton of Nazi shit on the wall has issues.

I put Japanese war booty on the walls, but would not put up Nazi stuff.

View Quote

Right, because the Japanese were absolute angels during the war. They didn't experiment on Chinese prisoners/civilians, massacre civilians, put people in concentration camps, etc.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:38:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't see a lot of nazi stuff at gunshows around here.

However yesterday at the first local gunshow in 14 years I saw a friggin' nazi General walking the aisles accompanied by a US paratrooper.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:38:36 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I would honestly buy a piece of actual history with insignia on it, but it would be tough to verify authenticity.

Like a rifle or bayonet or something that was actually part of the war is real to life history and should be preserved.

The reproduction stuff though, burn it, all of it. The only people buying it believe in the message associated with it.
View Quote

I didn't realize repro shit was in the conversation.  Screw that crap.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:38:38 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd buy some original war trophies, though I've not yet.

I also quite like the Germanic artistic style. The only thing I really have like that is a quilt my great-great-grandparents brought from Germany in the late 19th Century. It has small red swastikas throughout the design; while it predates and is no way associated with the Nazi party or the Hakenkreuz, I'm sure most people would see it and think "Nazi!"

Besides - what makes you think people buy Beanie Babies at gun shows? Most of the ones I've been to as a vender charge only a pittance for a table - as little as $20-$40.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:39:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
8 pages
View Quote

No.... 88 pages.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:40:33 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a fair amount of authentic WWII collectible items. US, Jaoanese, and German.

I suspect what you're seeing is mostly reproductions, while there is probably a niche for it, most likely it's what you suspect; the weirdos.

The authentic items are getting rarer. I have examples of badges that have been demilled (swastika removed) and also an intact specimen.  I've always been intrigues by WWII, I had one uncle who went in on Omaha beach and another who flew P51's.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:41:09 PM EDT
[#17]
If it was not repro, for the historical value. If it's repro, I don't see the point in it, but whatever floats your boat.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:41:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Only answer you need is..... because it's their money.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:43:55 PM EDT
[#19]
If as much effort went into fighting the libs as trying to prove the 2A scene is made up of 88ers, we'd have Hughes repealed by now and new MG's for everyone.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:43:59 PM EDT
[#20]
I love fun shows
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:47:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it...

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:48:02 PM EDT
[#22]
I always thought the Nazi booth was ran by the liberals to make the show look bad?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:48:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Do you really have to be from my state?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:50:25 PM EDT
[#24]
I buy mg34 related stuff and optics. You have to study for years to not get burned on badges, daggers and uniforms.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:52:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Because all gun owners are racist rednecks. Is that what you wanted to hear?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:53:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why?  Is asking a question about Nazi stuff now verboten?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:53:57 PM EDT
[#27]
It balances out the beanie babies yen and yang
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:54:07 PM EDT
[#28]
I've got a Nazi bayonet some gave me. Chrome plated, old and his dad brought it back from Germany where he was an MP just after WWII.  I also have his 1911A1 he carried too
But the bayonet is stashed away. No display or shrine built around it. Anyone want to buy it?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:54:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Because all gun owners are racist rednecks. Is that what you wanted to hear?
View Quote

Ummmm, I think you added 2+2 and got banana...
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:54:43 PM EDT
[#30]

unless we buy up all the NAZIs old belt buckles and have sociopath dress up parties there's going to be another Holocaust?

The thousands  of hours of documentaries, thousands of museums, and the Internet won't do
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:55:49 PM EDT
[#31]
When I was in France in 1960, the French were selling all kinds of Nazi crap everywhere.  I guess they found a lot of it lying around.  No repros either.  Helmets and daggers were popular, as were Lugers.

Also saw alot of unexploded ordinance along farmers fields, it was picked up weekly.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:56:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No a question about Nazi memorabilia is not verboten. But suggesting that people who collect it are Neo-Nazis is idiotic in my opinion. Sure there are some just like any fringe element but most collect it because it is a part of history.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:56:57 PM EDT
[#33]
I like it....
took my Iron cross to the show....magnetic yes...
$60 credit...pass.. I paid $20...
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:57:02 PM EDT
[#34]
I can see the appeal for history buffs.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:57:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Not everyone who collects WWII German stuff is a racist, despite the belief by many that they are
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:58:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IBTL
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:58:43 PM EDT
[#37]
While I do see nazi stuff on the tables, I never see anyone buying it. Hell, I never even see anyone LOOKING at it.

If those guys make table money during a 3 day show I'd be shocked. They almost strike me like the merch equivalent of flashers... they just want people to look at their junk, they don't care if they close the deal.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:59:47 PM EDT
[#38]
We use to do a lot of gun shows, and one thing I noticed is the guy selling Nazi crap usually had the same crap at every show. However I have to agree with you, the guy must have sold something or how else could he afford 12 tables and travel show to show.

Here locally I know of two guys that collect original Nazi gear. One guy was heavy into daggers and knives, the other guy is into anything and everything Nazi. I don't believe, or haven't seen any sign of either being 88 types. At the pawn shop we will take in German guns, and knives, but we have no interest in any other Nazi stuff.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:00:27 PM EDT
[#39]

I've got 3 Nazi marked German guns.  Does that make me an angry young man looking to shock, or some kind of a neo nazi scumbag?

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:00:30 PM EDT
[#40]
What I have was given to me by my uncle.

Captain U S Army in Germany 1944
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:01:23 PM EDT
[#41]
I have collected it since the 1970's back then a helmet with one decal was $25 now they start at $500. I started with civil war stuff and it was hard to find and $$$.
The WW2 stuff was everywhere and not so much money, so I stayed with that. And both my grandfathers were there. And you need to at least have one Luger  or two. I also have some WW1 things as well, its just a hobby.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:01:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
While I do see nazi stuff on the tables, I never see anyone buying it. Hell, I never even see anyone LOOKING at it.

If those guys make table money during a 3 day show I'd be shocked. They almost strike me like the merch equivalent of flashers... they just want people to look at their junk, they don't care if they close the deal.
View Quote

Yeah, that's pretty much been my experience too.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:02:16 PM EDT
[#43]
I saw a pristine panzer tunic at a gun show in PA...
just history to me
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:02:42 PM EDT
[#44]
I have a few nazi coins and trinkets. One of my friends brought me back a medallion made to celebrate Adolf Hitlers life.

It's an interesting period in history.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:03:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Here locally I know of two guys that collect original Nazi gear. One guy was heavy into daggers and knives, the other guy is into anything and everything Nazi. I don't believe, or haven't seen any sign of either being 88 types.
View Quote

OK, that was what I was looking for.  Some guys do legitimately collect the stuff, then.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:04:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Prince Harry?

We used to have a bunch of trophies my grandfather brought back from WWII. He was an MP and got his hands on a lot of cool shit he took off of prisoners. Couple of small caliber semi-autos and revolvers (my dad always referred to these as "suicide pistols") a canteen, a flashlight you charge by squeezing the handle, a compass and a few other things. My brother has them now.

My dad's brother's oldest son got the P-38 with holster, 2 mags and original ammo.

My wife's wedding diamond was given to my grandfather by a German General who thought my grandfather treated him with respect. He said he would eventually lose them (there were two matching diamonds) and he'd rather my grandfather have them than someone else. Supposedly, they came from a Parisian prostitute. But for all I know, they could have been looted from a Jewish family. Impossible to verify at this point.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:05:28 PM EDT
[#47]
They are paying $60 for a table to promote the Nazi party.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:06:10 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
OK, that was what I was looking for.  Some guys do legitimately collect the stuff, then.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Here locally I know of two guys that collect original Nazi gear. One guy was heavy into daggers and knives, the other guy is into anything and everything Nazi. I don't believe, or haven't seen any sign of either being 88 types.

The price of original WW2 relics is so high right now, that I would say most people buying it are serious collectors. The skinhead 88 types usually have the cheap ass Chinese made replica shit.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:07:03 PM EDT
[#49]
There is a small militaria store in Rotenburg ob Der Tauber in Germany.  The store sells Prussian and WWI German militaria.  If you ask about WWII, they will show you through the door to the back room.  An amazing collection of Third Reich material in there!  The small bronzes were incredible.  I was with a collector of the Third Reich  -- he spazzed out.  He knew his stuff, and the stuff was genuine. He spent way too much money. That was 9 years ago.  Bet that little militaria store is still there, and the backroom still waiting for true collectors. Some people are fascinated by Nazi memorabilia;  I've never met a collector of the stuff that was in agreement with Nazi dogma, however.

I believe the display of the Swastika is still against the law in Deutschland.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:07:25 PM EDT
[#50]
There's only two types of people I know of - Neo-nazis and those that really, truly enjoy historical artefacts. I find it easy to distinguish between the two.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top