Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2013 12:00:10 PM EDT
A while back we had our infamous rolling blackouts and in the weeks that followed, the freezer section on my GE side by side would completely ice up. I went through cycles of thawing that bitch out every couple of weeks. It went on for a while till my gf insisted that I get it fixed. So I stopped and bought a new defrost element for the freezer, yanked the old one out (you could look inside the tube and see it was burned out) and replaced it with a new one.

Everything worked fine, I got some sex out of the deal, everyone was happy.

Fast forward 4 months.... the freezer ices up again. Refrigerator section warms up and the complaints start pouring in.

I'm dumbfounded. I defrost it, pull the defrost element, looks good, tests good with a meter. I put everything back together and it works awesome for 3 weeks.

Fridge is warm again. Freezer is iced up.

What should I check next?

Is it a bad thermistor?
Which one should I test first?

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 12:02:09 PM EDT
[#1]
GE, that's your problem.......
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 12:08:14 PM EDT
[#2]
go to repairclinic.com and they will tell you how to fix your appliance and sell you the parts cheap.

I fixed my GF's dryer by using them, cost me $10 to replace a thermistor and about a half an hour total to diagnose and replace it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 12:13:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
go to repairclinic.com and they will tell you how to fix your appliance and sell you the parts cheap.

I fixed my GF's dryer by using them, cost me $10 to replace a thermistor and about a half an hour total to diagnose and replace it.
View Quote

Yeah, I read through one of those and that's how I came up with the defrost element, the guy at the local shop where I bought my parts suggested it was either that or a thermistor.

There are 3 in the refrigerator. I was hoping for a consensus on which one fails more often. I was going to buy a new thermistor on the way home. God help me if more than one is bad.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 12:20:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yeah, I read through one of those and that's how I came up with the defrost element, the guy at the local shop where I bought my parts suggested it was either that or a thermistor.

There are 3 in the refrigerator. I was hoping for a consensus on which one fails more often. I was going to buy a new thermistor on the way home. God help me if more than one is bad.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If all three have to be replaced, it will still be cheaper than having someone come to look at it just to tell you it was a bad thermistor.

What's the worst it's going to cost you, $30-40??
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 12:21:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Could be a refrigerant leak also. mine had that.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 12:25:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If all three have to be replaced, it will still be cheaper than having someone come to look at it just to tell you it was a bad thermistor.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's never just $30 to $40, especially for a service call.

Defrost element was around $40 itself.

I think three thermistors should run about $30 for parts.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 12:34:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Check the defrost timer.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:25:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I'm saying-buy all three and cry once. Otherwise you'll be crying again when you have to call a guy to fix it that thinks you are going to put his kid thru college for him.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top