Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2013 9:45:28 AM EDT
Posting this in GD because, hey, those who use theirs to store dead bodies can chime in too.

I'm closing on a house in the next couple weeks and I'm becoming more and more certain that the garage is going to be the most realistic location for me to put a gun safe. Of course, it'll be bolted into the foundation.

Anyone have any experience with this sort of location? What do I need to be aware of?

Am I a complete idiot?

Bear in mind I will be fighting a never-ending battle against humidity here in Florida, so I'd have to seal the safe and put a goldenrod in it - at least.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 9:46:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Garage + FL humidity just doesn't scream "great idea" to me.  Then again, I totally understand it being the only viable option.

Be ever vigilant on the humidity front.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 9:49:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Garage + FL humidity just doesn't scream "great idea" to me.  
View Quote

It isn't a great idea.

If its not feasible I'll just put the fridge in the garage and the safe in the kitchen.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 9:51:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I sell safes in our gunshop and have gone to Liberty's Safe School/ Please god do not put that safe in the garage..it must go into a climate controlled environment. Now some people have garages that are but most do not.

Liberty Fat Boy's are nice depending how many guns you have, then you can go up to the 52 gun Presidential s for about $5K  I have a 48 gun Liberty on the way..  I have to special order to get my 40% off so I have a 2 month wait or so
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 9:55:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Sturdy Safes or bust for me
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:00:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:00:12 AM EDT
[#6]
I was unable to my safe through all the doors it would have to go through to get to my closet. Fortunately, my closet borders the garage. I cut out a section of wall and built an extension into the garage and around my safe. It's now in the house.  

ETA: Sun Welding - Mustang series.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:00:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I sell safes in our gunshop and have gone to Liberty's Safe School/ Please god do not put that safe in the garage..it must go into a climate controlled environment. Now some people have garages that are but most do not.

Liberty Fat Boy's are nice depending how many guns you have, then you can go up to the 52 gun Presidential s for about $5K  I have a 48 gun Liberty on the way..  I have to special order to get my 40% off so I have a 2 month wait or so
View Quote

I have a Liberty safe also and love it, Look at Lowe's website they sell Liberty safes and their delivery are cheap.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:00:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Would there be anyway to have a reloading room or work shop walled off in part of the garage that could be temperature controlled?  

I would also find a way to block the safe from the view of the road.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:03:12 AM EDT
[#9]
I lived in Florida for thirty years. Humidity is ALWAYS THE PRIME PROBLEM!!!! What ever you do, find a way to put the safe in the house. Thieves will steal your stuff in the garage in a heart beat, unless you have cameras and alarms and such. Garages and Goldenrods wont work. For me, Liberty or Security Products are the way to go. Hope this helps, 44.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:03:47 AM EDT
[#10]
put it in your Florida basement.......

ETA:http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_6/46_Safes_andamp__Home_Security.html
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:05:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Should have bought a larger safe...It is full of personal papers like wills, passports, titles, family documents. Wife keeps all of her valuables in it. Humidity is not a problem here. I bought a Liberty Safe 15 years ago. Would buy another one, but would get a larger one. Mine has an electronic lock with a 9volt battery in it. Change it twice each year. It has never failed me.

So my only advice is ....buy one size up from what you think you really need.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:05:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:07:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Or,
1. Find old safe.
2. Post questions in GD asking how best to crack the combination.
3. ?????
4. Profit.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:08:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Hmm, looks like the consensus is find a place in the house.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:14:53 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm a cheapskate.  

If you want a basic 24 gun safe, Lowes has them for $600.  

Monitor your safe's humidity with a hygrometer.  

http://dx.com/p/household-electronic-thermometer-hygrometer-copper-color-193591

I put some cheap foam weatherstrip to seal airflow around the door.  Then I put a $5 DampRid container in there.   It keeps my safe to ~40% humidity.  I change out the DampRid a couple of times per year.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:25:15 AM EDT
[#16]
If you just have to place your safe in the weakest point security wise of the garage then build a framed out and insulated closet/room for it and drop a 6 inch A/C duct from the main A/C trunkline to at least keep the temperature and humidity regulated.
Living in Houston I cant tell you how many times the humidity is so damn high the concrete floor of the garage is slick wet.
Do you really want to place your safe full of guns in that type of environment?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:26:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Question as well:  I am looking for a safe right now also, but was thinking of putting it my basement, a much cooler, and humid-feeling environment.  No go?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:30:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:39:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Being in Florida also, I can tell you that putting the safe in the garage is not a good plan. You'll have rust on your guns in a couple of days, even with a dri-rod. I lived in Louisiana previously also, with similar humidity.

I just did the whole safe shopping thing again earlier this year, and ended up going with Sturdy Safe based on the feedback from people on several forums. Its tempting to go with the easy big names like Liberty and the like, but I'd highly recommend really getting into it and comparing a lot of different places. I found that with Sturdy, I was getting heavier construction and thicker gauge steel for the same money, with the tradeoff of less "frilly" cosmetics and interior.

Make sure you watch that video that was just posted above, the one about 'the truth about safes'.

http://www.sturdysafe.com/
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:39:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Never buy a safe that uses 'guage' in describing it's construction.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:53:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Never buy a safe that uses 'guage' in describing it's construction.
View Quote

Eh, 4ga is about a quarter inch thick.

If we're talking about 16ga safes from Lowes, then yeah I agree (16ga = 0.05"). But almost every gun safe out there is still measured in gauge thickness.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 11:02:49 AM EDT
[#22]
ive been very happy w/ my American Security safe.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 11:26:51 AM EDT
[#23]
This thread is relevant to my interests
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 11:32:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Sturdy Safes or bust for me
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 11:37:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Posting this in GD because, hey, those who use theirs to store dead bodies can chime in too.

I'm closing on a house in the next couple weeks and I'm becoming more and more certain that the garage is going to be the most realistic location for me to put a gun safe. Of course, it'll be bolted into the foundation.

Anyone have any experience with this sort of location? What do I need to be aware of?

Am I a complete idiot?

Bear in mind I will be fighting a never-ending battle against humidity here in Florida, so I'd have to seal the safe and put a goldenrod in it - at least.
View Quote

I held my collection in a safe in Miami for 7 years. Didn't have to seal anything; goldenrod did the trick.

Bolt it down, and try to make it so it isn't easily visible from the street with the garage door open.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 11:39:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
If your safe will be at all visible when you open the door, I would make a facade.  I used to have a safe in the garage for ammo I camouflaged as a cabinet.  Something a s simple as a cardboard box from a new fridge is better than nothing.
View Quote

This is a good suggestion.  I put a blanket over mine and stacked cardboard boxes on and around it so it just looks like a pile of junk.  No one ever asks about it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 11:48:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Don't put the safe in the garage.

Amsec and Sturdy are good brands.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 12:10:28 PM EDT
[#28]
I had same thoughts about putting safe in the garage but I couldn't bring myself do it. I finally put it in one of the back bedrooms. I went with a Superior safe just like the one mentioned at the 14:39 mark. I couldn't be happier unless I would have bought larger one then again I don't think it would have fit down the hallway into the bedroom
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 12:11:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Where ever you end up putting it, make sure you get one of these:
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 12:13:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I held my collection in a safe in Miami for 7 years. Didn't have to seal anything; goldenrod did the trick.

Bolt it down, and try to make it so it isn't easily visible from the street with the garage door open.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Am I a complete idiot?

You had guns, in a safe, in a garage, in Miami?

And nothing was stolen or rusted?

You, sir, are a wizard.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 12:14:08 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm in the market as well. After doing my research, the browning safe me and my dad had been eyeing no longer seemed appealing. We have decided to go wi sturdy safe after a lot of research, and prioritizing our needs for the safe.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 12:18:22 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Am I a complete idiot?

View Quote

Do your homework on safes so you don't end up with less security than you are lead to believe you are buying!!

Put a rubber pad between the bottom of the safe and the floor before you bolt it down.

Wire it in for goldenrods and lights. Possibly a motion sensor inside.

Camouflage it from being seen when the door is open and buy a wifi security camera to watch it.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 12:21:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Sturdy or American Security period (unless you can swing a Brown).

Bolt it down (I don't care how much it weighs).

Get it at least 2 sizes bigger than you think you need.

I had a Liberty. It was too small so I sold it. After a good amount of research, I bought a Sturdy. No regrets.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 12:21:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Put it in the house OP.  A truck and a chain and you can watch your safe being drug down the street.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 12:26:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Here's a very interesting video on safes:

http://youtu.be/ltK-bDbADa8
View Quote

That long gun Fort Knox safe is the tits!
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 12:27:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Whatever size you think you need, go AT LEAST one size bigger.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 12:34:07 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Where ever you end up putting it, make sure you get one of these:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51enRFUnxXL._AA160_.jpg
View Quote

I got mine a couple weeks ago. Works great. Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 12:40:26 PM EDT
[#38]
I have a safe in the garage with a dehumidifier in it.

Not a rod or desiccant pack....a dehumidifier.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:03:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Opsec - the garage is probably the easiest room in the house for people to see into.  They will have a good view of your safe every time the garage door opens - and from what I read, getting a garage door open is pretty easy for a thief as well.

Second issue is that the temp will swing a lot more in the garage.  Hot humid air goes into safe - temp drops, no good.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:07:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Here's a very interesting video on safes:

http://youtu.be/ltK-bDbADa8
View Quote

I wonder how much Fort Knox paid him for this video
And I wonder how much the cameraman saved on his next safe by recommending this CE guy.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:12:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

In IL, though.  Not as humid as FL, which will be the problem.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:14:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Always buy bigger than you think you need. Black rifles take up more room than grandpas old 30-30.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:14:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Two medium sized safes are easier to move and less expensive than one giant safe.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:24:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True, but all summer the humidity here is 80%-90% during the night up through noonish. If I get in my safe in the mornings the humidity in the safe shoots back up to around 80%
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:27:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top