User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2013 9:17:02 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 9:21:26 AM EDT
[#1]
estimated $1 million in damage
Thank God it's not bad...
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:03:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Pottsville Pisswater, oh nectar of the gods, our prayers are with you (and by "you" I mean your beer production)

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:06:31 AM EDT
[#3]
When did they start brewing it in Tampa???
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:08:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I may be in the minority, but I think Yuengling is the most overrated beer on the market.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:08:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Union guys just stood around and watched it burn because it wasn't their job to put out the fire?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:08:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:10:44 AM EDT
[#7]
They brought hazmat to a brewery? Even the concentrated caustic wash stuff isn't that bad.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:12:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Union guys just stood around and watched it burn because it wasn't their job to put out the fire?
View Quote

I don't think Dick Yuengling has unionized employees.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:14:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Oh no!
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:16:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

wat no insurance
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:20:23 AM EDT
[#11]
That's in Florida, not Pottsville, PA.  So I'll lose no sleep.
Quoted:
View Quote
Many companies prohibit it because the personnel are not properly trained or equipped.  It's more a liability to allow the try than letting them watch.  And that standard policy here in NC, where unions have no real power at all.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:20:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Since maybe 2006, 2007?

It's the largest implementation of their expansion model.  If you're drinking Yuengling anywhere South of Tennessee, it came from Tampa.

By many accounts, Southern Yuengling is actually better than the Pottsville stuff because the equipment is newer.  I think they're pretty much equal, personally.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:21:43 AM EDT
[#13]
*whew*... It's Tampa, not Pottsville...
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:22:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Not the Pottsville factory, so that's okay.

Quoted:
By many accounts, Southern Yuengling is actually better than the Pottsville stuff because the equipment is newer.  I think they're pretty much equal, personally.
View Quote

My wife, who grew up in Mobile, says the Tampa stuff tastes "sweeter" and prefers the PA stuff.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:22:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
They brought hazmat to a brewery? Even the concentrated caustic wash stuff isn't that bad.
View Quote

Ammonia cooling systems?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:23:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I may be in the minority, but I think Yuengling is the most overrated beer on the market.
View Quote

I've had it once. Once was enough.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:23:33 AM EDT
[#17]
I haven't had a beer in months, but, damnit, it'd be a Yuengling if I had one.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:23:45 AM EDT
[#18]
the ash might help the beer taste better, certainly couldn't hurt
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:24:56 AM EDT
[#19]

I was like WTF i didnt hear anything ?

...Oh its in Tampa NM ...Dont care lol ....

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:29:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:35:37 AM EDT
[#21]
All you "it's in FL, zfg" oughta care. Without the Tampa brewery there is no freakin' way Yuengling blows up in the early 2000's. Buying the Stroh's brewery in '99 was a big risk, but an enormous opportunity that paid off. You also don't get any of the delicious Octoberfest they make every year, cuz that's invented, brewed, and bottled in Florida. (Had a nice chat with the brewmaster, he's awesome.) Tampa also brews more beer than both the other Yuengling facilities combined, iirc. Unless you're drinking it in Pennsylvania, you're probably drinking Florida Lager.

Furthermore, any of you dorks who claim to be able to taste the difference need to apply for a job with them right now because I have great news for you, your superhuman senses are about to pay off big time. The only difference is the water, which they take great pains to keep as close as possible.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:35:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Shiner has the trophy on that one with Guinness being a close second.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:43:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because they aren't supposed to be fighting fires. Most places employees are specifically told NOT to try and fight fires.
Locally, both Hershey Foods and Kelloggs have employees that are trained to fight fires.
Everyone else is supposed to stay the fuck away.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:44:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Probably. The ammonia cools the glycol that cools the fermenters.  If it turns into a bad situation, everyone better run.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ammonia cooling systems?

Probably. The ammonia cools the glycol that cools the fermenters.  If it turns into a bad situation, everyone better run.

I know Molson uses ammonia, my friend worked on implementing their lock out/tag out procedures
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:47:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're pretty far from either of the breweries.  Those green bottles travel like shit, and will skunk in the cooler quick enough if the stock doesn't rotate.  Try the can.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:49:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You're pretty far from either of the breweries.  Those green bottles travel like shit, and will skunk in the cooler quick enough if the stock doesn't rotate.  Try the can.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very true. I'm within easy driving distance and I buy cans when I get a case.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:50:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:50:49 AM EDT
[#28]
All I can say is thank government we're required to have fire extinguishers, even though we're not allowed to use them without civil repercussion.

Sounds like when I worked for the government, we had one of those automatic defibrillators on site but we were told not to use them. We were supposed to go find someone else in the building who was designated too use it and they would handle it.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:55:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Guys, regardless of your opinion of Yuengling, this is a tragedy. Any sort of fire involving a beer factory is a tragedy...you're all so insensitive.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:56:05 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Rain Water for the above.

Now Spaten That's Beer.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:57:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you're smart....You bring hazmat to any industrial facility, factory fire.... At least thats SOP for us and a few other agencies around here.. We are primarly firefighters first and  special operations (hazmat team members) second... We generally help slay the dragon, while some will  perform air monitoring, etc.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:58:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I know Molson uses ammonia, my friend worked on implementing their lock out/tag out procedures
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ammonia cooling systems?

Nh3 seems to be used alot more in industry for cooling these days.... cheaper.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 11:03:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Now Spaten That's Beer.

http://www.spatenbeer.com/images/lager-bottle.png

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now Spaten That's Beer.

Spatan is good beer, but for the home team factor, I drink Yuengling.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 11:10:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Since maybe 2006, 2007?

It's the largest implementation of their expansion model.  If you're drinking Yuengling anywhere South of Tennessee, it came from Tampa.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since maybe 2006, 2007?

Nope fall of 99 I went to the opening.  Im family friends with the Owner
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 11:11:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
estimated $1 million in damage
Thank God it's not bad...
View Quote

Damnit, that's an entire year's worth of production.  This really sucks
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 11:12:29 AM EDT
[#36]
NNNNNOOOOOOoooooooo!!!!!!!!

ETA:  Oh Florida.  My supply line is still secure.  Whew!
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 11:13:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Ammonia cooling systems?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ammonia cooling systems?

I don't know that plant, but nearly every brewery I've seen uses a glycol jacket. I guess the chillers themselves could use ammonia.

My brewing is much smaller scale
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 11:14:57 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since maybe 2006, 2007?

Wasn't one of the daughters who opened that one up?

I know it's sure nice to travel to the keys and find it on tap.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 11:15:48 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Spaten is good beer, but for the home team factor, I drink Yuengling.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now Spaten That's Beer.

Spaten is good beer, but for the home team factor, I drink Yuengling.
If for  the Home Team (for US Sales)  Steinlager  is supposed made somewhere in Tenn. now dayz last I heard.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 11:16:04 AM EDT
[#40]
Shitty beer, no loss.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 11:16:05 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

It used to be really good. I once went on a brewery tour in Pottsville after they moved their kegging line to Fla.

I saw a basket of bungs from whn they used 2 prong kegs and asked the tour guide if I can grab some to which she obliged.

Upon returning to the group, I saw several pallets of food grade drums of.......carmel coloring.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 11:16:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
*whew*... It's Tampa, not Pottsville...
View Quote

Amen
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 11:23:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 11:26:05 AM EDT
[#44]
Wow,so the goat piss will be delayed a couple months while they rebuild the swill vats ? Guess you guys will have to drink Hamms or PBR,probably taste better anyway.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 11:50:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Since maybe 2006, 2007?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since maybe 2006, 2007?

What about Yuengling in NC?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 11:51:47 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Ammonia cooling systems?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ammonia cooling systems?

Only at the old Budweiser plant (IIRC). And even then it is only because of the historic significance.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 11:57:59 AM EDT
[#47]
As long as no one was hurt in the process it is a fucking travesty that the whole fucking thing didn't burn to the ground and bring production of that vial swill to an end.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 12:00:38 PM EDT
[#48]
For a cheap beer,Yuengling is pretty good.I MUCH prefer it to Budweiser (except that Bud Black Crown is pretty good).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top