Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2013 6:32:10 AM EDT
Had both driver and passenger side cv joints replaced last week on an 03 dodge ram truck.
Now both oil seals are leaking.  So questions for professional mechanics.

When you replace cv joints, do you replace seals as part of the job?
If not, would you ask the customer if they would like them replaced?

I haven’t talked to the shop yet, but I’m assuming they’ll want to charge me to replace the seals, even though they should’ve been replaced when the cv joints were pulled.  Also assuming the labor rate will be very similar to the joint replacement.  Now I’ll pay double to get this job done correctly.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:38:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Seals are generally not replaced unless they are leaking at the time of axle replacement, but leaking after axles get changed is quite common.  I would deal with the shop and negotiate with them to replace the seals labor free (you pay for parts and fluids).
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:40:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Dana 60 swap! CV axles are for pussies!

ETA: Never changed a seal when swapping out CV axles. Even if they do charge labor it shouldn't be that much. Its an hour job for a decent mechanic.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:42:42 AM EDT
[#3]
View Quote

Always. Your already there. The seals are cheap.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:47:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Had both driver and passenger side cv joints replaced last week on an 03 dodge ram truck.

I haven’t talked to the shop yet, but I’m assuming they’ll want to charge me to replace the seals, even though they should’ve been replaced when the cv joints were pulled.  Also assuming the labor rate will be very similar to the joint replacement.  Now I’ll pay double to get this job done correctly.
View Quote

If it's the same setup on my 01 with Dana 44, it's a 4 hour job to repair and you have to take the axle apart from the middle.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 8:50:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Difficult to say without seeing what they took apart. If the old inner boots were shot and spewed their oily guts all over it may not have been readily apparent. Back in the day I would have tried for the up sell for the point of it being apart already. Doubt if you will get a break on the seals but it's worth asking.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 8:54:02 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote
Any time I pulled half shafts, I've replaced the seals.  Worn CV joints can cause the seals to wear, best to freshen it all up.

I  don't know about your truck but it sounds like they damaged them when doing  the repair.  This is a warranty issue, they should suck up all costs.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 8:56:08 AM EDT
[#7]
As part of the normal process, no.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 9:32:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Update.  The entire shaft was removed/replaced on each side of the vehicle.  The cv joints were not removed from the shaft. They were replaced as a unit, so the shaft was pulled out of the seal.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 9:34:42 AM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This. About to do both on my 4runner. The whole assembly was only like $10 more.  

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 9:39:56 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Update.  The entire shaft was removed/replaced on each side of the vehicle.  The cv joints were not removed from the shaft. They were replaced as a unit, so the shaft was pulled out of the seal.

View Quote
Seal is on the stub shaft coming out of the axle housing.

How many miles on the rig?

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:02:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Over here, with a vehicle that old, we'd be suggesting you change them while we're in there. The customer is already paying to have the axles out, so give them the option of putting in fresh seals while it's apart. Worst case scenario, it would cost them an extra $50.00 at that point. I've seen service writers work it in to the initial estimate also, just to avoid having the thing come back with bad seals afterwards.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:07:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:24:23 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shouldn't be leaking yet.  Likely were damaged when removing or reinserting the new axles stubs.  I've done it before, the spline on the axle will hurt those relatively fragile seals in a heart beat if you try to slide the axle in/out while it's resting on the seal.

ETA:

Why did you need both sides replaced with that low mileage?  Did you manage to tear the protective boots or was this some rough mileage?

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 12:32:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Shouldn't be leaking yet.  Likely were damaged when removing or reinserting the new axles stubs.  I've done it before, the spline on the axle will hurt those relatively fragile seals in a heart beat if you try to slide the axle in/out while it's resting on the seal.

ETA:
Why did you need both sides replaced with that low mileage?  Did you manage to tear the protective boots or was this some rough mileage?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA:

Boots were torn.  6 inch lift
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 12:55:38 PM EDT
[#15]
If I'm doing 1 CV on something quick like a Honda Civic, I'll usually suggest the seal but I'm not too worried about it.

Bigger jobs like the OP's, the seals would be included in the original quote. IMO, they fucked up by not suggesting seals and should only charge for the additional parts to do the job again.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:44:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the opinions.  Wife was supposed to take it back to the shop today, but didn't make.  Her truck, so she can deal with it.  Will update after
she takes it back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top