Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/16/2002 9:01:06 PM EDT
Absinthe - An alcoholic and supposedly hallucinogenic drink popular with poets and artists in the 18th and 19th centuries such as Vincent Van Gogh. Absinthe was deemed illegal in the US in the early 1900's.

I have seen the drink mentioned in a few movies of late and was just curious if anyone had ever tried it. It is sold legally in the US now by a company called Absente. This company apparently skirts the law by excluding the hallucinogenic compound, wormwood, from the drink.

Absinthe that is still made with wormwood is available on the internet from foreign distribution channels, but I am unsure as to the legalities of shipping to the US.

Just curious if anyone has ever tried any of the "legal" or "illegal" brands? If so, what was the effect? Hopefully it didn't want to make you cut off you ear and mail it to your best girl! [whacko]
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 10:02:21 PM EDT
[#1]
you must've recently seen "from hell" or "moulin rouge." both films feature absinthe, and one of those dvds, i forget which, has a cool mini-documentary on the drink.

yeah, i've tried it a few times, both the legal and illegal. and they're both very strong. tastes kinda like jaegermeister mixed with nyquil and black licorice.

the "legal" stuff, as you mention, does not contain wormwood. but it'll still get you drunk. the illegal stuff i tried at a friend's house. she brought it back from the netherlands. the taste isn't significantly different, but the effects are. i got drunk faster. i didn't hallucinate, but from what friends tell me, i got really loud and excited about every topic that came up. i don't remember the evening that well.

once you get past the strong taste, it's hard to stay away from it. definitely add a little sugar to the shot.
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 10:30:58 PM EDT
[#2]
No,
But i hear that a fairy lives in it and somehow does somthing to give it a greenish color.

Link Posted: 11/16/2002 10:44:40 PM EDT
[#3]
The stuff I tried in London was like mixing Jaegermeister with a cow pasture if you catch my drift.  Not sure of the legal issues here in the US.  I would be hesitant to import anything I was unsure of in these times of Terrorism due to high chances with Customs.  Check the US Customs website for they may have the answer for you or possibly the DEA website.  Try and use someonelese's computer!!
Gemologist[x]
BLOAT
Buy Lots Of Ammo Today
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 10:52:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
you must've recently seen "from hell" or "moulin rouge." both films feature absinthe, and one of those dvds, i forget which, has a cool mini-documentary on the drink.
View Quote

Another movie in which the drink plays a very heavy prominence is the Deceiver, a little well known, but interesting flick, staring Tim Roth.

Thanks for the info. I'm not a fan of licorice flavored drinks such as Jagermeister so I'll probably stay away from it. Plus it looks like the good stuff, which contains a THC like substance, costs about $200.00 per liter. I think that I can come up with a better and less costly way to get my THC fix.
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 11:01:05 PM EDT
[#5]
LMAO[:D]!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gemologist[x]BLOAT
Buy Lots Of Ammo Today
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 11:31:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a girlfriend who made absinthe and other liquers like honey mead.  The absinthe she made was really strong shit, alcohol content like bacardi 151.

You can order it from import companies in the UK, who are the middlemen for authentic, traditional absinthe producers.  Do a Google search if you're interested.

It's really toxic stuff. The liquor Pernod is a watered-down version of absinthe marketed after the real stuff became banned in Europe.  I drank half a bottle of that once, and I was very ill for days. Buy a bottle of that, if you want a taste of what Absinthe is like.  It's not bad.  Turns yellow when you add sugar, just like real absinthe.
Link Posted: 11/17/2002 5:37:47 AM EDT
[#7]

It's great, I cut My ear off and didn't feel a thing !
[img]http://psyweb2.ucdavis.edu/grads/mcohen/images/van%20gogh%20night.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/17/2002 5:40:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.....[:D]
Link Posted: 11/17/2002 5:55:14 AM EDT
[#9]
These days, absinthe is bottled primarily in the Czech Republic.

[img]http://www.laboheme.uk.com/images/Absinthe%20Original_500.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 11/17/2002 6:27:10 AM EDT
[#10]
I think absinth was the stuff Vlad Dracul (Gary Rothman?) and actress/shoplifer Wynona Rider were drinking in that last Dracula movie.

And isn't AbSynth a type of sit up machine, like an AbDoer. I think Suzanne Somers does an infomercial on the AbSynth excerciser.

Link Posted: 11/18/2002 3:30:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Yes, I've had absinthe on several occasions, and really can't agree with those who taste NyQuil or licorice or Jagermeister.  (For that, go for another Czech liquor: Becherovka.)  I wonder what they had, and where.  Also, in the CR, it's not expensive.  Seem to remember that it was much cheaper than American whisky, and could easily be found at many markets.  
To me, absinthe tastes like poison, even with the carmelized sugar added.  A very harsh alcoholic drink, even when diluted with water.
I've never encountered one who drinks absinthe for the flavor, but do know many who take greater pleasure in the flaming ritual than in the effect of the ETOH/wormwood/thujone.
Didn't drink enough to progress through Wilde's stages (wanted everything to look like a Mucha work), but did feel a bit, oh, "funny" (that's a description that'd make Poe and Papa proud) after more than one/sitting.
If you're in a country that serves the Green Fairy, have one in a decadent cafe.
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 3:54:15 AM EDT
[#12]
You can get "absente" at most liquer stores its an Ameircan version of the drink. it Alcohol content is 110 proof, the real stuff is ussually 150-170 proof. as for the wormwood it dosnt have it they use another kind of plant thats woimwoods cusin about 50% of the "thunge" (mis-spelled?) content so to get the effects just drink twice as much...now if you drink the absente and no other aicohol when you get buzzed you'll notice its a little moree different then beer or liquer...its kinda wierd but kinda smooth too...
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 7:04:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Alright, you asked for it.

In the early days of Hollywood, there were two up-and-coming young actors from the Midwest who enjoyed a great deal of success right away, Jimmy Stewart and Henry Fonda. These two would meet regularly for dinner to share stories of their respective backrounds and burgeoning careers.

On one occasion, at Henry Fonda's home, they were drinking a liquor that was new to them but popular with the "in" crowd in Hollywood - Absinthe. Unaware of the strong narcotic effect of the drink, the two were swilling the sweet stuff like lemonade, when suddenly Jimmy Stewart began hallucinating quite spectacularly. He was staring into the unlit fireplace but seeing bright colors radiating from it. His eyes were bulging in wonder and awe at what he thought he was seeing, as if in a trance.

His friend Henry saw him in this state, and became concerned, shaking young Jimmy and asking, "Stewart, Stewart! Are you alright? What is it?"

Jimmy Stewar broke his gaze, looked at his good friend and replied, "Absinthe makes the hearth glow, Fonda."

Sorry.
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 7:57:18 AM EDT
[#14]
"In the U.S., traditional Absinthe is illegal to sell for human consumption because it contains the chemical thujone which is banned by the FDA for use in foods but allowed in some herbs known to contain thujone (Title 21, Chapter 1, Part 172.510). Some types of absinthe are sold in the U.S. which contain no thujone and other absinthes are imported into the U.S. despite FDA regulations."

from [url]http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/absinthe/absinthe_law.shtml[/url]

but it is legal in canada and hell heres the companys webpage [url]http://hillsabsinth.com/[/url]

course the keyword in the law is SELL doesnt mention possesion
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 4:34:50 PM EDT
[#15]
I have heard of there being some 180-190 proof stuff as well.

If I want a quick buzz my wife has a girlfriend in VA that gets us "Whitelightning", approx 190 proof. So much alc in fact that it will evaporate in your mouth if you inhale quick. Tastes like shit but not bad mixed with lemonade or cider.

SorryOciffer
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 9:09:47 AM EDT
[#16]
They drunk it in "Murder by Numbers" with Sandra Bullock.  Those kids didn't even wince, that stuff is super bitter.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 9:38:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Make your own...try infuse the herb "Thuja".
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 10:09:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 10:23:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Alright, you asked for it.
Jimmy Stewar broke his gaze, looked at his good friend and replied, "Absinthe makes the hearth glow, Fonda."

Sorry.
View Quote

Aaaaaaaaah, my brain, it hurts!!!
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 1:31:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I think absinth was the stuff Vlad Dracul (Gary Rothman?) and actress/shoplifer Wynona Rider were drinking in that last Dracula movie.

View Quote

gray oldman, and yes.

apparently, there's a woman in waco who produces the real stuff.  don't know how she gets around the legal issues, though.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 4:01:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Isn't that the stuff that drove Toulouse Lautrec crazy?
View Quote

I belive it was [url=http://cocaine.org/tonicwine.jpg]Vin Mariani[/url]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 6:58:20 AM EDT
[#22]
I think Ralph Wiggum summed up absinthe best with "tastes like burning".
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 7:23:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 7:28:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Plus it looks like the good stuff, which contains a THC like substance, costs about $200.00 per liter.
View Quote

No, no THC.  And in Japan, a fifth of the very best stuff on the planet costs about $15 (a beer costs you $8)

Absinthe gets its ooomph from the heb, Wormwood.
I think that it's a nuero-toxin of sorts.
It is in no way a narcotic.

It is not illegal to consume, just to sell or to import.
Japan makes the best Absinthe.

If you drink it, just order a shot and dump it into a glass of water.  It will immediately cloud the water. It's bitter.  You won't "hallucinate", but it makes for a nice Happy Hour, that's for sure.

If you knock back an entire bottle, you'll be drunk as hell, and the wormwood will make you a bit crazy (as in hoopin' and hollerin' and fightin').
If you drink it all day, every day for 20 years, besides rotting your liver, it will rot your brain.

Link Posted: 6/6/2003 3:04:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Oh-huh...you seem to know a lot about this... :)
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 3:15:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Is it get able in mexico?
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 4:03:30 PM EDT
[#27]
I am going to be in London in September and it is one of the things I will have to do.
[coffee]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 4:17:44 PM EDT
[#28]
I absolutly LOVE it.  Its the best buzz you will ever have from a drink.  The best word to describe it's effect is 'clarity.'  The stuff you can get in the US, which was mentioned before, if called Absente and its pretty good.  You can find online distributers from Europe that will ship it here.  I've never had a problem getting my orders but you dont get it, its a good chance that Customs has it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 4:24:10 PM EDT
[#29]
... Was absinthe the same elixir in the movie Tombstone where Wyatt Earp's (played by Kurt Russell) wife drank and stayed in a stupor with?

... If not, what was the crap she was supposedly drinking?
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 4:41:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 4:51:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
... Was absinthe the same elixir in the movie Tombstone where Wyatt Earp's (played by Kurt Russell) wife drank and stayed in a stupor with?

... If not, what was the crap she was supposedly drinking?
View Quote

Laudanum [url]http://www.nycgoth.com/more/laudanum/[/url] Basically opium mixed with alcohol/sugar water.  In "The Shootist" it's what John Wayne was taking a swig of now and again for his cancer pain.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 4:59:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Try crack Cocaine, it damages your brain (just like real Absinthe), is illegal to import (just like real Absinthe) and from what I hear it is a better high.

Link Posted: 6/6/2003 6:58:24 PM EDT
[#33]
You would be dead from alcohol poisoning long before you could consume enough absinthe to cause any damage to your brain.  The potency of modern absinthe is regulated by the EU...they made it legal to make in Europe again a few years ago--althouhg it has always been legal in Britian..

Quoted:
Try crack Cocaine, it damages your brain (just like real Absinthe), is illegal to import (just like real Absinthe) and from what I hear it is a better high.

View Quote
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 11:12:32 PM EDT
[#34]
A long time ago...while in Japan they would only serve us a couple of shots of this stuff to us in the bars.  One night I was on duty on one of our utility boats moving crew members from the dock to our ship.  A crew member came on board with two quilts he had bought; he also had a bottle of said drink and kept passing it around on the trip out to the ship; a lot of the guys declined, including the boat crew.  We carried a 5 gal. can of fuel and water.  When we got to the ship he was so out of it he picked up the two 5 gal. cans thinking they were his quilts and carried them up the ladder onto the ship! Wasted!
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 11:52:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 1:19:09 AM EDT
[#36]
according to the bottle im looking at right now its 67% alchol.

anyway Its good stuff Strong thu and for the record there is no illegal brands there just techinaly not able to be sold per FDA nothing agient possion or use for personal consumption.

You dont hallucenate atleast I didnt just everything gets really lucid.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 6:01:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
according to the bottle im looking at right now its 67% alchol.

anyway Its good stuff Strong thu and for the record there is no illegal brands there just techinaly not able to be sold per FDA nothing agient possion or use for personal consumption.

You dont hallucenate atleast I didnt just everything gets really lucid.
View Quote

... Potential Drug Interactions: "[i]May affect ability to spell[/i]"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top