Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/28/2013 5:41:07 AM EDT
I love being early but don't want to show up too early. Is 30 minutes ok? Or 15?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:41:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Depends on the job
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:42:16 AM EDT
[#2]
On time is late.

10 minutes early is on time.

15  minutes early shows someone who wants to work.

30 minutes early is trying too hard.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:42:54 AM EDT
[#3]
15 mins
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:42:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Depends on the job
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:43:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
On time is late.

View Quote

This is your answer.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:43:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Show up right on time.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:43:39 AM EDT
[#7]
I was always told to start at the start time, and if I needed to arrive x minutes early to do that then that's how early I needed to be.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:44:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Think I'll go with 15 minutes. Well just be going over HR related paperwork I'm sure. I don't even have a uniform so it's not like I can just show up and get to work.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:44:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Show up at least 20 minutes late.

Own that fucking place!
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:45:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
On time is late.

View Quote

Sounds about right. The possible flip side is unexpectedly early, for example if you live 30 miles away in a major city and have unexpectedly good traffic.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:46:37 AM EDT
[#11]
If I tell someone to meet me at my house for work in the morning and I say 6:30 I fully expect them to be pulling into the driveway by 6:20.

6:30 is the time that work begins and if you get there just on time then there is a chunk of time wasted while you park, tie your shoes, grab your lunch and tools etc.

I don't expect them to wheel in 30 minutes early though, people have their lives outside of work and so do I, what good does it do for you to sit in your car for 20 minutes while I finish my coffee and say goodbye to my wife and kids.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:46:38 AM EDT
[#12]
10-15 minutes early is how I rolled...
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:48:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This is your answer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
On time is late.

This is your answer.

Nuff said
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:49:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Sounds about right. The possible flip side is unexpectedly early, for example if you live 30 miles away in a major city and have unexpectedly good traffic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
On time is late.

When I was driving over an hour to the work each day that would sometimes happen, if there was a huge chunk of time I would use it to go get fuel in the truck, buy lunch or get another cup of coffee before heading to the shop. If you show up super early every day you set a precedent that you probably won't want to follow for long and after that initial period it will seem like you went from motivated to complacent.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:49:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Problem about showing up early on your first day is nobody knows who you are!
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:50:03 AM EDT
[#16]
I worked in an office. I would get there an hour early just to beat the traffic and school zones
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:52:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Another side to it also is once you get rolling in your position find out if you can show up and clock in early.

Some people like to get there an hour early and get started on their duties before everyone else shows up and turns into distractions.

It is common practice for laborers on construction sites to show up an hour before the tradesmen and get everything ready to roll so when they show up their jobs are ready to begin.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:54:56 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm always 30-45 minutes early but I walk in with enough time to get my shit together and start work.  If work starts at 0630 then I'm ready to work at 0630.

YMMV
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:55:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

When I was driving over an hour to the work each day that would sometimes happen, if there was a huge chunk of time I would use it to go get fuel in the truck, buy lunch or get another cup of coffee before heading to the shop. If you show up super early every day you set a precedent that you probably won't want to follow for long and after that initial period it will seem like you went from motivated to complacent.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
On time is late.

This is a valid concern.  However, I've found it to also work in the opposite.  By that I mean that people remember their initial impression of you for a very long time.  When I first got to my current gig, I arrived early and went home late.  Of my 15 days of paid time off per year, I used one for a funeral in my first two years.  Since then, I've burned about 12 a year and I'm still known as the guy who works so hard and never uses his time off
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:56:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Come in too early for the first week for recon. Watch how the site wakes up, who comes in when, and how you should proceed.
Best o' luck to you.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:58:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
On time is late.

View Quote

Pretty damn close to my thoughts.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:58:38 AM EDT
[#22]
if its the first day show up 30 mins early and wait in your car until 15 mins before.  Dont go in before that because you dont want to jump the person that is going to do your orientation.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:00:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Show 30 minutes early, observe others arrival time. If someone says something just tell em you weren't sure how early you were suppose to be there... Op is this your first job?

I usually get to work 20 minutes early but they pay me dress out time, plus 20 minutes gives you time to get gas or small emergencies.

I had a fuel line come loose on my bike on the way to work two weeks ago, since I plan to arrive early, I was able to diagnose and fix the problem, and still make it to work 5 minutes early. If id have been a slack ass I would have been late.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:03:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
On time is late.

View Quote

Agreed. 30 minutes is getting into the weird zone.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:03:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Don't fo.

That'll show 'em
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:07:22 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Own that fucking place!
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:08:29 AM EDT
[#27]
You should show up 2 or 3 days early. And don't leave.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:08:40 AM EDT
[#28]
fuck, I'm, 30 minutes early every morning, Guess I'm trying too hard.

15 minutes is appropriate. I'm a special case since I unlock the doors.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:13:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Here 5-10 is good, any earlier and our IT dept probably won't have your computer set up. They like to procrastinate.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:15:16 AM EDT
[#30]
15 mins early is on time, on time is late, late is unacceptable. YMMV
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:18:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

This is a valid concern.  However, I've found it to also work in the opposite.  By that I mean that people remember their initial impression of you for a very long time.  When I first got to my current gig, I arrived early and went home late.  Of my 15 days of paid time off per year, I used one for a funeral in my first two years.  Since then, I've burned about 12 a year and I'm still known as the guy who works so hard and never uses his time off
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
On time is late.

For some reason there's one or two of you on the layoff list. Take your time off.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:22:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
fuck, I'm, 30 minutes early every morning, Guess I'm trying too hard.

15 minutes is appropriate. I'm a special case since I unlock the doors.
View Quote

I wouldn't call it trying too hard if other people can't do their job until you do yours.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:25:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Being your first day, I'd suggest being quite early.  This will let you judge traffic a litttle better.  
Then tomorrow, leave 5 minutes later and see what happens.

When you are no longer 10-15 minutes early, that's your new departure time for work.  

Everything changes during the summer.  There is much less traffic on the roads (around here) and I can leave another 5-8 minutes later and still get there at the same time.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:30:08 AM EDT
[#34]
yup, 15 minutes.

so what's the new job?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:32:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Being your first day, I'd suggest being quite early.  This will let you judge traffic a litttle better.  
Then tomorrow, leave 5 minutes later and see what happens.

When you are no longer 10-15 minutes early, that's your new departure time for work.  

Everything changes during the summer.  There is much less traffic on the roads (around here) and I can leave another 5-8 minutes later and still get there at the same time.
View Quote

Summer is a bastard here, every single road seems to have construction on it. Fall and spring are the fastest drive times, winter is hit or miss depending on the weather. Most employers are understanding if you live over 30 minutes away and you get hit with a snowstorm halfway to work. You can go from doing 55 mph to only doing 15 mph in an instant, and even planning on being early you can still end up late.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:36:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I worked in an office. I would get there an hour early just to beat the traffic and school zones
View All Quotes
Quoted:

that's something to consider too.

back when i was in hawaii, for a while my supervisor was getting to the ship anywhere from an hour to 45 minutes early and taking a nap - cos he said he wanted to beat the rest of the traffic.  One of those times when if he left by one certain time he would be way too early, but if he waited 20 minutes he'd be stuck in traffic cos of everyone else going to the base.

i'd say go early - anywhere from 30 to 15 is good cos you're gauging the traffic & commute time.  if you find you're close way too early, spend some time relaxing, having coffee or whatever before you go in.  then once you're famiiar with the traffic patterns, then gauge it for 15 minutes early or so.

Quoted:
Another side to it also is once you get rolling in your position find out if you can show up and clock in early.

Some people like to get there an hour early and get started on their duties before everyone else shows up and turns into distractions.

It is common practice for laborers on construction sites to show up an hour before the tradesmen and get everything ready to roll so when they show up their jobs are ready to begin.

not a bad idea.  early to work can mean early to home.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:40:25 AM EDT
[#37]
At the fire department, shift change is at 0700. I try to be there by 0630, so whoever I relieve can avoid catching a late call. Getting there earlier is worthless because the Battalion Chief doesn't get staffing out any earlier than that so you don't know if you're going to move up or have to swing to another station.

Since I'm in a pseudo-supervisory position, I have higher expectations for myself than the firefighters at my station. The Captain is always there before me, and most of the rest of my crew gets there by 0645.

In my experience the guys that consistently arrive ~10 min before shift change are the slackers and high-maintenance employees.

At my part-time job (ER Tech), I try to clock in ~15 min before my scheduled shift, but I just started. All four days of orientation I've gotten there before my preceptor.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:43:05 AM EDT
[#38]
If you have a workstation with old equipment that takes time to boot up and load, factor that in if you're salary. I arrive 5 min early. We have cams all over so as long I'm inside by 9 its all good.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:44:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
On time is late.

I'd prettymuch go with this. But after being there a few years, a lot of us would show up 30 to 20 minutes early to just sit, get that first cup of coffee and BS with each other. We worked alone, so this way we could catch up with each other. But I also worked with a bunch of good guys who I think would've helped me move a body.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:45:14 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sounds like you left about 45 minutes too early.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:48:03 AM EDT
[#41]

on time. probably the only time this person will ever be on time to work.
15-20 minutes is the range I have found that the best new hires tend to show up at.
30 minutes or more. Your trying to hard,brown noser.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:48:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Own that fucking place!
View Quote

That's how I've always done it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:54:20 AM EDT
[#43]
By the title I thought this was a Fap thread.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:55:38 AM EDT
[#44]
On time is late? Eff that.

Being too early can be almost as bad as being late (almost). I regularly have vendors show up 15-20 minutes early for meetings and I get a call from the front desk that "Joe Schmuck is here to see you." Well, I hope you brought a book or something because we're meeting at the agreed upon time. If I show up that early, I sit in my car until about five minutes before, then walk in like a boss.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:56:13 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
By the title I thought this was a Fap thread.
View Quote

Or a poop thread. I have worked with guys that I swear set themselves up to take a shit during the busiest part of the morning on purpose.

It's not that hard to get on a schedule of shitting before work, yet every day around 9am "I gotta go take a shit, I'll be back in 20" and of course they come back just in time for a coffee break.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:57:28 AM EDT
[#46]
Depends. I once showed up so early that I couldn't even get in the building for 45 minutes. You don't want to be that guy.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:57:36 AM EDT
[#47]
I'd show up about 15-20 minutes early.  No more than 30, and 30 is pushing it a bit.

Different jobs may change those numbers.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:13:38 AM EDT
[#48]
I was the boss I got in at least 30 minutes early expected every salary person be be at their desk working at start time. I expected hourly people to punch in and get to their workstations not head to the john to shit/pee or go get a cup of coffee.
I respected a new person who there waiting for me when I arrived but I'm old school.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:14:32 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
On time is late.

I did that  after an organizational merger which required me to learn a shitload of stuff.  I came in an hour early, every day, and earned a signoff each morning.  My prior SSN quals experience really paid off, and everyone regarded me as a hot runner.  I finished my signoffs a year ahead of the next closest person.

Which was the point.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:16:20 AM EDT
[#50]
No time to post this.....I'm late for work
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top