Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/28/2013 3:44:59 AM EDT
SUCKS

I know there is no cure, but can you guys offer anything to help?

My right ear rings like a mofo from being stupid in my younger years, seems like its getting worse lately.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:45:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I've had pulsatile tinnitus in my right ear for about 4 years now.  Got use to it after a while.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:47:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Put on a fan while you sleep, helps drown it out for me. Otherwise I just deal with it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:49:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Background noise is the only thing that helps me.
I always have music going, a fan on and make a lot of noise myself like humming and clicking and shit.
It sucks, will never go away and only get worse with age.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:50:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I am listening to a whine in my ears right now.

The kicker is that my hearing is still very good, I just have to listen to the damn WHEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!! when there is no other noises.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:51:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Sleep with a fan - check
music - check

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:51:27 AM EDT
[#6]
I have an extremely noisey cricket in my office right now.  It's pretty bad too.  It's living under the floorboards in my tent. I swear the flooring acts like an amplifier.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:52:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I've had it for almost a year. From deer hunting last year, never used ear protection while hunting. And my rifle with a muzzle brake barks too loud for that.

I also use a fan to sleep. When I am somewhere quiet it seems much louder. I almost forget about it while doing other things.

Bow hunting a few weeks ago it seemed loud as help, and I think my ability to take note of positional audio type junk is lowered. I had my hearing tested and I basically have super hearing in my right ear, and my left ear is now just normal.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:56:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've had it for almost a year. From deer hunting last year, never used ear protection while hunting. And my rifle with a muzzle brake barks too loud for that.

I also use a fan to sleep. When I am somewhere quiet it seems much louder. I almost forget about it while doing other things.

Bow hunting a few weeks ago it seemed loud as help, and I think my ability to take note of positional audio type junk is lowered. I had my hearing tested and I basically have super hearing in my right ear, and my left ear is now just normal.
View Quote

Duck hunting for me.

Last year I got muzzle blasted by two different people, one in each ear. It hurt like a bastard.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:57:27 AM EDT
[#9]
I hear caffeine makes it works. Drink coffee lately?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:58:14 AM EDT
[#10]
I leave the TV or radio on low, even if I'm not watching/listening.  Cancels out the noise to a large degree.

I literally almost lost my mind when I first became symptomatic.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:00:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Have it Hate it, Fan, TV, background noise. When it is quiet I almost can't hear the voices in my head!
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:01:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The kicker is that my hearing is still very good, I just have to listen to the damn WHEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!! when there is no other noises.
View Quote

Add to that having to lean in close to understand someone if there is any sort of background noise.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:02:47 AM EDT
[#13]
All it takes is time man, soon enough you will barely notice the ringing.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:03:23 AM EDT
[#14]
I ignore it for the most part, but it's there if i listen for it. Yep, there it is...
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:05:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I hear caffeine makes it works. Drink coffee lately?
View Quote

Funny you should mention that, I am drinking a coffee right now and it definitely seems to be worse. I just got back on Arfcom after reading an article about just that, research has shown mixed results but at least for me it seems to make it worse.

One shot with a friends .357 mag revolver when I was like 20 set it off.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:14:24 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm able to tune it for the most part.

The only time ot gives me problems is at work.  I work with mostly females so I have problems hearing them when they talk.to me.

It's kind of a blessing sometimes.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:16:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've had pulsatile tinnitus in my right ear for about 4 years now.  Got use to it after a while.
View Quote

Is that the one where you hear every beat of your heart?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:18:00 AM EDT
[#18]
IED's, shooting things, 50's, and all the other assorted crap that comes with being Infantry has taken a toll on my hearing.  For the most part I tune it out but when there is background noise I have trouble making out words.  I have learned to almost lip read so that helps a ton.  All of my friend know that if they want me to answer they need to make me face them so I can see and hear what they are saying.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:18:46 AM EDT
[#19]
huh?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:19:34 AM EDT
[#20]
I was standing in the doorway of a trailer that exploded.  I've got bad tinnitus.  I use fans everywhere for white noise.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:42:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I was standing in the doorway of a trailer that exploded.  I've got bad tinnitus.  I use fans everywhere for white noise.
View Quote

Whoa, care to share the story?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:47:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Regardless of the story this is how I am going to picture it going down.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:49:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:02:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
SUCKS

I know there is no cure, but can you guys offer anything to help?

My right ear rings like a mofo from being stupid in my younger years, seems like its getting worse lately.
View Quote

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWhat? I can't hear you. Oh, you want me to be quiet? Okay... EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Did I sum up tinitus correctly? I have had it all my life in my right ear. Under normal circumstances, I don't hear it because other things are going on, but when it gets quiet, I hear it constantly.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:06:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Mine sometimes harmonizes. Low background roar that sometimes is in time with my hearbeat mixed with constant high pitched screeching.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:08:00 AM EDT
[#26]
geta  white noise generator or ocean sounds mp3's.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:12:06 AM EDT
[#27]
You get used to it and learn to tune it out. Music helps for quiet times like sleep.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:29:29 AM EDT
[#28]
I have not enjoyed pure silence in many decades.  You get used to it.  In fact, when it comes to falling asleep, it can be almost hypnotic.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:39:05 AM EDT
[#29]
I have had it for more years than I can count. I never pay any attention to it until someone asks me about it or I read a thread like this.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:42:28 AM EDT
[#30]
I was pretty much born with it.

Shooting a 12 ga at 8 yr old repeatedly might have something to do with it.

I can't sleep without a fan going.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:53:18 AM EDT
[#31]
In my early teens I was in a shitty garage metal band for a little while, and was too cool for ear plugs. 10 years later I'm still reminded of it. I'm like most everyone else, I like to have music or fans, just something to make me unaware of it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:07:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I ignore it for the most part, but it's there if i listen for it. Yep, there it is...
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:09:59 AM EDT
[#33]
White noise generator at night.  Always have a radio going during the day.  Do this and you won't notice it (unless you get threshold shifts also... which suck....).  Basically a quiet room is torture for us,  because there's no such thing as a quiet room for us.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:30:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Between shooting skeet as a kid and a single day of shooting 500 rounds of 556 did me in.
Fan is the only way I sleep and if I hunt, I wear electronic ear pro so I can at least hear something instead of eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 8:07:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Vinpocetine. Noopept.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 8:08:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Clean the wax out as well as you can.  It might help a little.  That's all you can do.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 8:37:51 AM EDT
[#37]
I have had it since December 31st, 1984. We sleep with two fans at the foot of the bed and a ceiling fan.

As others have said music or TV on in the background.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 8:39:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 9:20:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Changing your diet might help, same with making sure your sinuses are clear, cleaning your ears, all of these things might help, including watching your blood pressure. And there are hearing aids that blast white noise into your ear canals. There is also suppose to be an expensive medical procedure that temporarily makes the ringing go away, but I don't know the details.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 9:22:35 AM EDT
[#40]
WHAT??
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 9:26:44 AM EDT
[#41]
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Constantly.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 9:35:06 AM EDT
[#42]
On and off ringing. Either from music, engines, or being raised by a family that didn't wear ear pro for anything other than shooting at an indoor range. I probably had thousands of round downrange by 18 with no earpro.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 9:49:38 AM EDT
[#43]
The best way I have found to describe it is, think of a big stereo inside your head with the volume turned way up, but no signal coming through. Just a lot of static, and the volume is inverse to the level of ambient noise.  

So the louder the noise is outside our head, the less obvious the tinitus is and the quieter things get, the more static we hear.  Its almost like my brain has the "mic" turned up way too high inside my head and when things get quiet outside, it gets crazy inside.

Like someone above said, "There is no quiet room."
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 9:53:13 AM EDT
[#44]
It is actually a malfunction in the brain rather than a ear problem. I had my right ear removed because of a brain tumor, and I still have tinnitus in my right ear, even though it was removed.  Each ear has a feedback system that works instantly that prepares the ear to hear noise. Sort of like the eye can open and close to allow more or less light to enter. This feedback happens in  the brain, and when the system malfunctions, the brain manufactures a noise. That is why I still have tinnitus...my brain is making a noise.

Try this. Look straight ahead and then roll your eyes to the left and then back to the right. Your tinnitus will change. It has nothing to do with your ears. When your ears hear sound, it can help drown out tinnitus by altering the feedback, so sound machines do help. Just about any noise can help.

Your brain is pretty complicated. Do you ever dream and it is in color...you're sound asleep, eyes closed, but you "see" 3 dimensional objects in color, hear music, carry on a conversation, drive. Pretty crazy!

Well, that is how tinnitus happens. Your brain just starts making noise, just like it starts making dreams.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 9:58:53 AM EDT
[#45]
I used to live in the city so the 24/7 traffic noise pretty much hid it.  Now that I'm in a quiet suburban neighborhood a fan at night is a must.  The worst for me is when I'm at a hunting or lake cabin and it's dead quiet at night.  For some odd reason wearing the sponge style shooting ear plugs makes it tolerable and I can get to sleep.  It doesn't make sense but it works for me.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:19:44 AM EDT
[#46]
Been living with it for 15 plus years ,gotten use to it .Outside sound helps ,but you do get use to it . And when it finally goes away
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:52:25 AM EDT
[#47]
I've heard that your blood pressure can affect it too.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:57:29 AM EDT
[#48]
I use audiobooks to cover it up
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:58:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 11:02:05 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I was pretty much born with it.

Shooting a 12 ga at 8 yr old repeatedly might have something to do with it.

I can't sleep without a fan going.
View Quote
must have been a pretty tough kid, how many times did you have to shoot him? or was a he a fast runner and you could not hit him?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top