Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2013 12:21:49 AM EDT
I purchased a book on archeology from half-price books.  Got to the end of it and there's a library card in it.  The book was published in 2008 so I can't imagine a library buying it and then getting rid of it that soon.  

I also purchased a few book off amazon from third party sellers.  Every once in a while, they have a library card in them.

Am I buying stolen books?

Morally speaking, am I obliged to return the book to the library?  If I don't, am I as responsible as the person stealing the book in the first place?  

I mean, if you buy a HDTV from a crackhead for $100, you're complicit in theft even if you didn't steal it yourself.  

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 12:25:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I can see a library turning around a book that fast. They dump stuff pretty quick if they have multiple copies, or newer versions, or low demand

And I have bought books at library sales that had stuff left in them.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 12:41:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Local library sells their own books, so we have tons with library stamps and stickers all over them. I suppose they pop up from time to time in various places, although some places won't take former library items. Cute thing is - if they have a book, someone says they lost or it never returns it and pays the fine, they mark it as gone in their computer. Then if the item is found and returned later on, instead of changing the computer flag and putting it back into the system, they sell it. The store is a formerly closed library location, and they call it "The Title Wave" *groan*

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 12:43:50 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I can see a library turning around a book that fast. They dump stuff pretty quick if they have multiple copies, or newer versions, or low demand

And I have bought books at library sales that had stuff left in them.
View Quote
I've had that too with a few used books I've bought in the past.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 12:45:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Probably just library surplus OP...
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:40:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:50:59 AM EDT
[#6]
What did the police say when you called them about it?

Just kidding, don't call the police. They might get you for possession of stolen property.

I have quite a few former library books, bought directly from the library.
Several "new" titles too.

If it bothers you, why don't you call the library?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:05:17 AM EDT
[#7]
They stamp them with, "Out of circulation" or "Removed". We have a few. Call the library in question.

Subscribed.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:17:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
They stamp them with, "Out of circulation" or "Removed". We have a few. Call the library in question.

Subscribed.
View Quote

None of my filched book are marked with any such stamp.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:22:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Subscribed.

Several of mine aren't marked, and I bought directly from the library.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:22:51 AM EDT
[#10]
For many libraries, if a book is way past due, they'll just charge the customer the full replacement cost and not even allow you to
return it after that.
Kind of like RedBox.. keep it to long and they just charge you for it.

It could be people who find themselves in that situation and are now trying to sell it in some attempt to recoup a few of the dollars.

If it's not this, it should be stamped inside somewhere "DISCARDED" or something similar.

Or it could be stolen!
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:39:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:54:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You and your good time buddies.  
View All Quotes

Couple of joy boys.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:01:55 AM EDT
[#13]
I know my local library system sells off a lot of books in new condition with recent publication dates. I believe in the Internet age, libraries are maintaining smaller inventories of paper media. If a particular book doesn't have much demand for borrowing, multiple copies are culled and sold to the public. They may keep one copy for that occasional oddball request.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:08:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Hope the mattress you're sleeping on still has it's tag
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:28:03 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Hope the mattress you're sleeping on still has it's tag
View Quote

Leaving the tag on a mattress gives me no peace at all. Look at what the fuzz does to people - ATF turning normal rifles into machine guns, EPA or USACE declaring a person's yard to be a wetland because of a flood or they installed an artificial pond or a developer is dragged through decades of obscene and baseless court battles while facing felony charges for following the letter of the law because a single federal employee decides they did something wrong despite a complete lack of legal authority or a law stating it is illegal - and some very similar extortion techniques being used in family court constantly. Yeah. Fuck the government, and fuck their rules. TEAR OFF ALL THE TAGS!

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:19:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Couple of joy boys.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Couple of joy boys.

"Yeah, '71. That was my first year on the job. Bad year for libraries. Bad year for America. Hippies burning library cards, Abby Hoffman telling everybody to steal books."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top