Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2013 9:34:34 PM EDT
Our 4 year old has asthma, but it is only triggered when he gets a cold.  He started coughing yesterday and sure enough, this morning comes the sore throat and now the wheezing/breathing has started.  Already gave him a few puffs of  abuterol, which helps, but he is still breathing rough as he's laying next to me.  Hope he grows out of it - he has no asthma symptoms other than times like now.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:44:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Our kids too. Was worse when they were younger, they are pretty much grown out of it now. But we knew right away when their cough changed sounds. Get the doc to give you a nubulizer for home use and use it often. Usually it would take a couple weeks to clear up, but you have to stay on top of it, multiple times a day. It was really only when they started to get a cold. I believe it was every 4hrs and then gradually tapered off. They had a little dinosaur mask that the kids wore that helped also. Good luck...It's rough for a few years.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:03:38 AM EDT
[#2]
My daughter was that way too when she was your child's age.  She's now 7 and rarely gets a flare up.  One thing that we think has helped a ton is Singulair.  She takes it nightly and I can honestly not remember the last time we had to break out the nebulizer.  We get it for free because my company's insurance (Cigna) offers free meds for diabetes and asthma if you participate in a nurse consultation once a quarter.  Bring it up with your pediatrician....it may be worth trying.  Good luck.  I know it can be a scary time for the little ones.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:07:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Nebulizer and pulmacort.  Its a godsend.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:09:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nebulizer and pulmacort.  Its a godsend.
View Quote

THIS works much better and last longer then the puffers
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:10:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Nebulizer.  We have "The Panda".  Our little one sounds like yours.  Get one, they're awesome to have and work great.  Ask his doctor.

http://www.semedicalsupply.com/Airial-MQ-6003-Baby-Panda-Bear-Pediatric-Nebulizer-p/mq6003.htm
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:10:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I had asthma until I was about 12, it sucked ass.

I remember dad putting me in a hot shower to help, we also used to go outside in the cold all bundled up until flare ups went away.

I think I still get them from time to time but at this point in life I have just adapted to them and don't notice.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:12:30 AM EDT
[#7]
I feel for the little guy.  I had severe childhood asthma.  Was hospitalized several times for weeks actually.  Fortunately I'm healthy now, and my 3 sons don't have it either.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:31:38 AM EDT
[#8]
I understand that feeling. It makes for a very long night, being a dad watching your child's breathing. My oldest has had pretty severe asthma that's required hospitalization.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:49:46 AM EDT
[#9]
I'll probaby be bashed on GD for this....

My 5 year old had similar problems and we spent many sleepless nights with a mask on her.  Our doctor suggested having her avoid gluten.  We have had her stay away from gluten for over a year and she has not had a single episode in that time.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:52:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Symbicort is another good medicine.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:54:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'll probaby be bashed on GD for this....

My 5 year old had similar problems and we spent many sleepless nights with a mask on her.  Our doctor suggested having her avoid gluten.  We have had her stay away from gluten for over a year and she has not had a single episode in that time.
View Quote

I think getting into sports is what fixed me, I also played saxophone.

Actually using your lungs beyond their capacity helps to make them stronger over time and able to function better.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:24:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Two of my three kids had asthma when they were very young.  Thankfully they grew out of it.  A nebulizer with Pulmicort and Xopenex worked wonders.  One thing we learned from our dentist is to make sure the kids brush their teeth after a treatment.  According to him the meds weaken the teeth.

We still have the nebulizer and meds on standby just in case.  Might need 'em when the zombie apocalypse hits
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:19:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Symbicort is another good medicine.
View Quote

It's good stuff, but is wicked expensive.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:23:08 AM EDT
[#14]
I hope the little guy gets better soon.  It is tough watching your child like that, hang in there pop.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:24:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Scary for anyone.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:32:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Tough time.... My boy was in the same boat from birth, RSV, asthma and many nights up helping him thru it or sitting at the ER till his O2 level came back up!
He's 17 now and rarely has an attack even with sports and activities.
Do yourself a favor and get a "chargeable" nebulizer.
We got a couple of these, work great and always ready when he needs it!
http://www.anactivelife.com/pari-trek-complete-package-p-118.html?language=en&name=Pari%20Trek%20S%20Complete%20Package

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:42:45 AM EDT
[#17]
My Son is the same way. Whenever he gets a cold, I really have to keep an eye on him to make sure it doesn't turn into an Asthma attack.

If it does, it usually means Albuterol every 4 hrs. and Pulmicort twice a day using a Nebulizer.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:42:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Two of my three kids had asthma when they were very young.  Thankfully they grew out of it.  A nebulizer with Pulmicort and Xopenex worked wonders.  One thing we learned from our dentist is to make sure the kids brush their teeth after a treatment.  According to him the meds weaken the teeth.
View Quote

This is what we use for our youngest.  Works well.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:43:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Poor kiddo.  Hope he feels better ASAP.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:59:55 AM EDT
[#20]
I've lived with asthma since the age of 10 now I'm 24. Singulair daily. I have been recently trying to find a way to get off of singulair so I'm not dependent on it if anything ever happened. I can go about 48-72 hours without it then my lungs lock up tighter than fort knox. I'm working on getting in better shape and hope that it will help. Best thing for him is hot showers. It will open up his lungs. also see if the doc with subscribe him ipatropium bromide. it's a steroid but when mixed with the albuterol does wonders.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 8:05:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Every time my 5yo gets a chest cold I get no sleep, I usually lie awake next to him wishing I could make him feel better.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 8:21:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I've lived with asthma since the age of 10 now I'm 24. Singulair daily. I have been recently trying to find a way to get off of singulair so I'm not dependent on it if anything ever happened. I can go about 48-72 hours without it then my lungs lock up tighter than fort knox. I'm working on getting in better shape and hope that it will help. Best thing for him is hot showers. It will open up his lungs. also see if the doc with subscribe him ipatropium bromide. it's a steroid but when mixed with the albuterol does wonders.
View Quote

You should take up an instrument.

I remember reading an article a few years ago about a boy that had terrible asthma, like could barely function but he wanted to learn to play the clarinet I think. He began taking lessons and at first would have to stop and rest often but over time could go longer and longer between rest breaks and eventually got his asthma under control and could function like a normal kid, it was super interesting.

I am almost positive that sports and band helped me get rid of the problems I had.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 8:24:25 AM EDT
[#23]
get that kid some peppermint..
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 8:28:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Poor kid. My fucking cunt ex-wife and her shithead redneck fuckstain boyfriend smoke in their house around my 3-year-old son and 5-year-old daughter. Tried playing soccer outside with my daughter and she doubled over in a coughing fit at one point. Fuck those white trash assholes. She says, "We smoke in the bathroom with the fan on." That's still in the house you fucking moron, and it doesn't explain the full ashtrays in evey room and the kids smelling like smoke all the time. Douchebags.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 8:28:47 AM EDT
[#25]
My nephew had it when he was young and is now running ultra-marathon events in his early 20s. Hang in there!
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 8:33:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Poor kid. My fucking cunt ex-wife and her shithead redneck fuckstain boyfriend smoke in their house around my 3-year-old son and 5-year-old daughter. Tried playing soccer outside with my daughter and she doubled over in a coughing fit at one point. Fuck those white trash assholes. She says, "We smoke in the bathroom with the fan on." That's still in the house you fucking moron, and it doesn't explain the full ashtrays in evey room and the kids smelling like smoke all the time. Douchebags.
View Quote

You should speak with CPS about it and make their life hell.

That is one thing I would not tolerate, if you want to smoke in your house and stink the place up that is fine, but confining a kid in there with you and having them breath in that shit is not cool even a little bit.

I don't care if people are smoking outside and the wind brings a little my way and my kid happens to smell some of it, totally different. Inside that shit just lingers for long periods of time like a blue haze.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 8:35:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
My daughter was that way too when she was your child's age.  She's now 7 and rarely gets a flare up.  One thing that we think has helped a ton is Singulair.  She takes it nightly and I can honestly not remember the last time we had to break out the nebulizer.  We get it for free because my company's insurance (Cigna) offers free meds for diabetes and asthma if you participate in a nurse consultation once a quarter.  Bring it up with your pediatrician....it may be worth trying.  Good luck.  I know it can be a scary time for the little ones.
View Quote

Ditto.  

Except for the free meds.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 8:36:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That is one thing I would not tolerate, if you want to smoke in your house and stink the place up that is fine, but confining a kid in there with you and having them breath in that shit is not cool even a little bit.

I don't care if people are smoking outside and the wind brings a little my way and my kid happens to smell some of it, totally different. Inside that shit just lingers for long periods of time like a blue haze.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I gave her warning last night. If I smell it on their clothes, see ashtrays or the kids tell me they smoke in the house, I'm dragging her ass back to family court.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 8:37:19 AM EDT
[#29]

Been there man, but opposite, mine is triggered by heat.

Its horrible to see playful boys full of life unable to move because they just cant breathe.

Hang in there, prayers sent.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 8:38:03 AM EDT
[#30]
My 1 yr old has it. She was on steroids last week to help, now she has a cold. Hopefully she out grows it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 8:39:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I gave her warning last night. If I smell it on their clothes, see ashtrays or the kids tell me they smoke in the house, I'm dragging her ass back to family court.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would put it right up there with child abuse. My brother in law smoked forever, but always outside and never in the car and his youngest had asthma when she was little and even the smell of it would set her off. Without hesitating he quit cold turkey and stayed that way for a long time, he is back on dip now, but at least he isn't putting that shit into his or his kids lungs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top