Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/27/2013 3:48:07 PM EDT
Had a heating issue. Basically snake was a week without heat without me realizing it.  He was in his water dish and was ice cold... he previously had snake mites but has been treated. I think I can post a pic.p

Costa Rican boa. Four months old.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:55:27 PM EDT
[#1]
What are you using now for heat?  What is his humidity?  How large of a tank is he in?  How did you treat the mites?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:55:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Cocaine?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:59:13 PM EDT
[#3]
There is a member here who is very knowledgeable about snakes, but I cannot remember his name.

Hopefully, someone else will and you can IM him.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:00:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Had a heating issue. Basically snake was a week without heat without me realizing it.  He was in his water dish and was ice cold... he previously had snake mites but has been treated. I think I can post a pic.p

<a href="http://s1003.photobucket.com/user/louass123/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20131027_182953_025_zps3bb15897.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1003.photobucket.com/albums/af155/louass123/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20131027_182953_025_zps3bb15897.jpg</a>
View Quote

Looks like unshed skin to me.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:06:45 PM EDT
[#5]
His heat source is good now. Daylight bulb and under tank heater. Humidity like 65 percent. Ten gallon tank for now.

It does look like unshed skin but he's had nothing but full sheds since I got him.

I used a shampoo called nix that kills lice. A snake forum reccomended it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:08:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Have you tried throwing the entire tank out the front door and getting a cat?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:10:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Lol..
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:12:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Snakes have noses?

I'll be damned.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:16:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Fuck!

No heat?

Must be frostbite.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:20:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Fuck!

No heat?

Must be frostbite.
View Quote

Are you being serious? Do you really think that's what it is?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:20:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s1003.photobucket.com/user/louass123/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20131027_182953_025_zps3bb15897.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1003.photobucket.com/albums/af155/louass123/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20131027_182953_025_zps3bb15897.jpg</a>

Yup, me too.  You can see some more unshed skin around his lower lip.
You are much better off using an under tank heater than an overhead light.   Under tank heaters use much less electricity too.  A lot of snakes that are getting baked by heat lamps have shedding problems, especially,around the head.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:24:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Lol..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol..

That is god damned hilarious!
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:26:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Whats wrong with its  nose?.....It's  still attached to its  body...
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:29:54 PM EDT
[#14]
You guys sure its not mucus from a resp. Infection?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:36:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I can't see anything in the pic that looks like mucus.  If it doesn't have a respiratory infection, I wouldn't worry too much unless some other sign shows up.  It may have been getting ready to shed when the heat went down.  Essentially when that happens hormones cause the head to swell, then fluid fills the area between the new skin and old as the swelling goes down.

If you see mucus in the nose or mucus bubbles in the mouth or can hear it weezing, you need to take it to a vet.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:37:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

That looks like stuck shed.  Symptoms of an RI will include bubbling around the mouth, major mucus as well.  Head will be raised and held high nose pointing up and you'll hear rasping or gurgling sounds as the snake breathes.

As my better half asked, what is the temps, humidity, size of the tank, etc.?

Important to know to give better info.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:37:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck!

No heat?

Must be frostbite.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:37:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Doesn't look like RI, more likely than not its unshed skin. Get a sizable Rubbermaid container and luke warm water in it, enough to cover the snake but not enough to make him have to continually swim to stay afloat.

Also get rid of the overhead light/heat source and buy an under tank heater, but make sure you get a thermostat with it. They can get extremely hot an can cause burns without a thermostat. How big is his tank?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:39:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck!

No heat?

Must be frostbite.

I'm laughing my ass off...
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:42:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck!

No heat?

Must be frostbite.

ETA: after re reading both posts I am not sure who was being sarcastic. Either way funny as hell.

Funniest shit I've seen tonight. Thanks.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:42:47 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Cocaine?
View Quote
Costa Rican -- it's the only plausible explanation.  

There's already good advice here, but I would emphasize that the humidity should not be kept super high and he needs both cool and warm zones so he can regulate his body temperature.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:43:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Ok, first, the NIX.  Yes, you can use it to treat mites BUT not full strength shampoo.  You're supposed to get the 59 ml bottles, mix one with 1 gallon of distilled water to create a 0.5% permethrin solution, use that to spray the tank, hides, and substrate, and allow it all to dry before putting the snake back into its enclosure.  It is NEVER to be used directly on the snake or in his water dish as they are very susceptible to poisoning.  Products like Reptile Relief and Reptile Spray are formulated for treating mites directly on the animal, NIX and PAM (Provent-A-Mite) are not.

Second, the heat.  Lamp + UTH, do you have a thermostat regulating them?  What is the temperature on the top of the substrate, as measured with a heat gun or IR thermometer?  It should be 88-90*F for that boa on the hot side, 78*F on the cool side.  Personally I don't like the lamps as they kill humidity, so I prefer the UTH.

ETA: I'm not thinking RI at this point either.  Watch for yawning, bubbles in his mouth or nostrils, wheezing, etc.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:43:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Ten gallon tank...65% humidity. Is just an under tank heater gonna be enough? I do have one of those ceramic lamps that don't shoot any light...
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:44:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Unshed skin.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:45:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Fuck!

No heat?

Must be frostbite.
View Quote

Post of the day
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:45:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Ten gallon tank...65% humidity. Is just an under tank heater gonna be enough? I do have one of those ceramic lamps that don't shoot any light...
View Quote

You need a thermometer so you can set the tank up to have proper thermal gradient.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:48:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Bubbles, I mixed the shampoo in a gallon of water. That's how the snake forum reccomended I do it.

The temp on the substrate on the hot side is about 88 now. I do not have a thermostat. Can you send a link of a good one?

Is one heat mat going to be enough?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:51:07 PM EDT
[#28]
N/M ;)
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:52:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Snakes get respiratory infections?

What does GD not know?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:54:56 PM EDT
[#31]
It's because they are not pets, should be where nature intended to be
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:55:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Bubbles, I mixed the shampoo in a gallon of water. That's how the snake forum reccomended I do it.

The temp on the substrate on the hot side is about 88 now. I do not have a thermostat. Can you send a link of a good one?

View Quote

One heat pad should be plenty for a little 10 gallon.  88 is plenty hot enough, make sure the cool side isn't below 80.  And take temps where the snake seems to hang out the most.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:59:01 PM EDT
[#33]

Uhh that's fine. I currently only have one heat mat under the tank. Is that enough?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:59:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

One heat pad should be plenty for a little 10 gallon.  88 is plenty hot enough, make sure the cool side isn't below 80.  And take temps where the snake seems to hang out the most.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK good. I ordered the thermostat.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:04:55 PM EDT
[#35]
I am not trying to sound like an ass, but please tell me you plan on getting a bigger tank.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:09:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I am not trying to sound like an ass, but please tell me you plan on getting a bigger tank.
View Quote

When it gets bigger, yes. Ten is fine for now, its a baby.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:09:24 PM EDT
[#37]
tweezers, pick off old skin.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:09:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I am not trying to sound like an ass, but please tell me you plan on getting a bigger tank Boamaster or Boaphile enclosure.
View Quote

Fixed.

Boamaster is located in PA so you can probably pick it up and save on shipping.  You will want to upgrade your boa ASAP.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:13:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Is somebody afwaid of a wittle snake?

Quoted:
Whats wrong with its  nose?.....It's  still attached to its  body...
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:17:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Fixed.

Boamaster is located in PA so you can probably pick it up and save on shipping.  You will want to upgrade your boa ASAP.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am not trying to sound like an ass, but please tell me you plan on getting a bigger tank Boamaster or Boaphile enclosure.

Fixed.

They are soooo nice but a little pricey. I would probably end up trying to make something out of melamine or plywood.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:47:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
They are soooo nice but a little pricey. I would probably end up trying to make something out of melamine or plywood.
View Quote

Don't hate me... I just picked up 4 4x2x2 Boamasters, all with an RHP installed, for $50 each, from a guy getting out of boa's so he could focus on ball pythons.  Score for me b/c I have five BCI's, three are females.
Saw Mark at Hamburg last weekend, he said even though we bought them secondhand he would honor the warranty.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:44:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Don't hate me... I just picked up 4 4x2x2 Boamasters, all with an RHP installed, for $50 each, from a guy getting out of boa's so he could focus on ball pythons.  Score for me b/c I have five BCI's, three are females.
Saw Mark at Hamburg last weekend, he said even though we bought them secondhand he would honor the warranty.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is an utterly ridiculous deal.

I only keep balls presently but the larger boas and pythons are impressive.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:04:35 PM EDT
[#43]
How long ago did you treat for mites? That is definitely not a stuck shed. It looks like dry residue from the nix.

ETA: I just read the comment about using a tweezers to get the shed off. Please don't do that. It is not a stuck shed. You will only be harming the snake.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:10:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Snake mites? Respiratory infections?  Difficult sheds?

I didn't realize snakes were such pussies until this thread.

Might as well have a quadriplegic hairless chihuahua.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:15:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:19:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Snake mites? Respiratory infections?  Difficult sheds?

I didn't realize snakes were such pussies until this thread.

View Quote

I'd buy that for a dollar!
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:01:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Do you have hard water? I had an iguana that would soak a lot-I used tap water and when it evaporated it left a similar scale on her skin. Could also be a bad shed that was retained in that area, and it's not just the white between the scales, but the whole top of the head. The white is just where it's visible.

And one of our resident experts is Retic.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:03:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
 I do have one of those ceramic lamps that don't shoot any light...
View Quote

WAY too hot, especially if you don't have a thermostat. I've seen a guy light a cigarette on those.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 12:02:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
How long ago did you treat for mites? That is definitely not a stuck shed. It looks like dry residue from the nix.  

ETA: I just read the comment about using a tweezers to get the shed off. Please don't do that. It is not a stuck shed. You will only be harming the snake.  
View Quote

I treated maybe three weeks ago? I did rinse him under water after..
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 12:21:23 PM EDT
[#50]
What about this "ball room rack" as an upgrade? There are other boas I would like to pick up. The biggest would probably be a BRB. Would this rack suffice?

http://www.boaphileplastics.com/rhinoraxx_ball_room.html
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top