Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2013 10:47:13 AM EDT
As the US dreadnoughts were being modernized between the wars,  in many cases the "cage" masts were replaced with tripod masts.
Think in terms of the USS Pennsylvania / USS Arizona.

What were the "buildings" that sat atop them....they look like office space from the outside...
My understanding was the range finders were stationed lower on the ship, like on the forecastle.
And yes, I know the rear mast had the birds nest of .50 cal MGs.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:48:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Bring Back The Battleships
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:48:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Crow's nests?

Before:

After:

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:48:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Press box? Hell, I dunno...
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:51:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Observation and fire control.  Basically you wanted guys up top calling where the shots landed.  Also, you wanted to spot the other guy's ships first.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:52:16 AM EDT
[#5]
In most cases it's where the fire direction and spotters/lookouts were stationed.

The lookouts job is obvious.

The fire directors would watch the fall of shot and give correction..
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:54:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:59:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you talking about #37 in this diagram or something?

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Parts_of_a_battleship_%28Warships_To-day,_1936%29.jpg
View Quote

More like 16 & 17.....
It would've helped for it to be an American BB...but that's as close as I could guess.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 11:00:28 AM EDT
[#8]
The one on the Missouri is different yet.  No windows.  Are they covered, or is it electronics?  No public access granted to that platform.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 11:01:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Based on the second photo, it looks like the aft tower was a less than pleasant place to be stationed.  The smoke appears to flow right in that direction.  Was it manned 24/7 or only during battle?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 11:01:54 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

The one on the Missouri is different yet.  No windows.  Are they covered, or is it electronics?  No public access granted to that platform.
View Quote

Missouri was a later BB that primarily used radar.  

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 11:02:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

that's what I figured.  thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top