Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/27/2013 7:41:17 AM EDT
FIrst, this isn't some holier than thou post, and it is not direct at people who are unemployed through no fault of their own and want to work but can't find any…

I know more than a few people don't work either because they are "house-husbands" or just do the minimum effort to get by and have tons of free time to jack off…these are all adults, grown men over the age of 35.

Not too long ago, I had one of these people fix something for me that I didn't have the time to fix.  This guy is cheap, an does good work.…He was supposed to stop by weds night, but didn't because he had a last minute social engagement pop up.  

Right now I am waiting on this person to drop the item back off…Ive been waiting for two hours.  They were supposed to be here around nine am, its now 11..and for the past two hours they've been at the local coffee shop "hanging out" and getting "caught up" with people.  

Must be nice to have next to zero responsibilities in life...

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:42:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Jelly much?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:44:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Sound like they just don't give a fuck.........Can't say I blame them
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:45:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I work my ass off for what I have.

Sometimes though, I fantasize about selling it all, buying 20 acres and a doublewide and just live off my savings and enjoy life.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:45:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Wait, you contracted work with someone who doesn't have a steady job because they don't feel a need to hold one?

And you're shocked that they don't seem to hold professionalism in the esteem you're accustomed to?

And you think this situation is *their* fault?

Is all that correct?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:46:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wait, you contracted work with someone who doesn't have a steady job because they don't feel a need to hold one?

And you're shocked that they don't seem to hold professionalism in the esteem you're accustomed to?

Is all that correct?
View Quote

yeah yeah i know…my bad…but seriously, the idea that someone can have no respect for someone elses time or schedule is foreign to me.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:49:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

yeah yeah i know…my bad…but seriously, the idea that someone can have no respect for someone elses time or schedule is foreign to me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is all that correct?

that's why they're where they're at.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:50:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Think about it...

He has lots of free time, does what he wants when he wants, and still apparently has a roof over his head and food in his tummy.

Makes you think doesn't it? "why am I in this rat race?"
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:56:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is all that correct?

It's quite common. Always has been.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:56:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Think about it...

He has lots of free time, does what he wants when he wants, and still apparently has a roof over his head and food in his tummy.

View Quote

well, this particular person got lucky..

house inherited from his grandfather
wife who works and doesn't care that he doesnt work

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:59:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
FIrst, this isn't some holier than thou post, and it is not direct at people who are unemployed through no fault of their own and want to work but can't find any…

I know more than a few people don't work either because they are "house-husbands" or just do the minimum effort to get by and have tons of free time to jack off…these are all adults, grown men over the age of 35.

Not too long ago, I had one of these people fix something for me that I didn't have the time to fix.  This guy is cheap, an does good work.…He was supposed to stop by weds night, but didn't because he had a last minute social engagement pop up.  

Right now I am waiting on this person to drop the item back off…Ive been waiting for two hours.  They were supposed to be here around nine am, its now 11..and for the past two hours they've been at the local coffee shop "hanging out" and getting "caught up" with people.  

View Quote

Cheap, Fast, and Good.  You can have any two of the three.  You got cheap and good.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:00:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Think about it...

There was a portion of my life where I had a live in girlfriend with an awesome job and I did odd painting gigs every couple of weeks with the neighbor for enough cash or weed to keep me happy.

It's good work if you can get it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:01:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Sometimes though, I fantasize about selling it all, buying 20 acres and a doublewide and just live off my savings and enjoy life.
View Quote

It would certainly give you more time to hang out at Wal-Mart and buy up all the .22 ammo.

ETA I can't believe I'm the first one to bring this up in this thread.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:02:41 AM EDT
[#13]
John Galt....is that you?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:03:54 AM EDT
[#14]
"Comparison is the enemy of Contentment."  Or so I heard at church from an assistant minister who lives in a house much larger than mine.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:04:51 AM EDT
[#15]
So if you are paying him for a service he provides, that is labor-based... what's the word for that?

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:08:40 AM EDT
[#16]
I retired 1 August. Worked 40 years. What I find surprising is that there are just as many if not more people on the road, shopping, eating out, ect during the day as after normal working hours. And I don't mean old folks like me either. Young, healthy (not disabled anyway) , families, but all tend to be on the fat/cheezy pale side and don't appear intelligent overall. But they damn sure aren't at work.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:08:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So if you are paying him for a service he provides, that is labor-based... what's the word for that?

View Quote

I think he's referring to people who don't hold steady full time jobs which require daily reinforcement of professional principles.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:10:40 AM EDT
[#18]
I bust my ass 50-60 hours each week so that my wife can stay home and raise our child. It's the way I wanted it....call me old fashioned.
I've worked consistently for 20+ years without so much as a week between jobs.

After my kid is off to school, if my wife goes back to work and she happens to make enough money to cover the majority of the bills, I won't feel the slightest bit guilty about taking some well deserved time off from working, and then may only work a limited schedule thereafter.

I've paid my dues....I'd like to spend my time living my life and not die at my desk cranking out reports.
When I eventually get to that point, I'll be one of those dude who spends afternoons fishing, and hangs out at the coffee shop in the morning reading the news over some espresso.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:11:12 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Think about it...

View Quote
Sure, but he knows OP is "in this rat race."  It would take a few minutes to swing by and drop off the work before he goes for coffee, but instead he blows off his commitment and goes to the coffee shop.  Makes me think the guy is an inconsiderate asshole, rat race or not.  If that's the way he is, the rat race probably doesn't want him anyway.  We're all better off if he just stays the fuck out of our way.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:12:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I think he's referring to people who don't hold steady full time jobs which require daily reinforcement of professional principles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It sounds like a simple lack of common courtesy to me. I'd file it under 'some people are just assholes.'
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:12:18 AM EDT
[#21]
wonder what their 401K's look like, if they have one.  They're retire poor if they live that long
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:12:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I retired 1 August. Worked 40 years. What I find surprising is that there are just as many if not more people on the road, shopping, eating out, ect during the day as after normal working hours. And I don't mean old folks like me either. Young, healthy (not disabled anyway) , families, but all tend to be on the fat/cheezy pale side and don't appear intelligent overall. But they damn sure aren't at work.
View Quote

To be fair, there are a lot of people on shift work now, who don't work 9-5 M-F.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:14:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

You know, thats something thats been on my mind often lately…

There have been days that Ive been off work, and am simply amazed at the amount of young healthy people that are out frolicking around in downtown areas in the middle of the afternoon on a weekday...
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:15:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Years ago I used to fix computers.  I didn't charge much at all.  It was going out money.  I told everyone up front that I do it on my free time.  If you need it quick, go somewhere else.  I stopped doing it because a guy who I told I didn't have time when he called, started bugging me when it was taking too long.  I stopped doing it after that.  Not worth it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:19:12 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View Quote

I don't think I have enough savings to do it quite like that, but occasionally I consider moving to the mountains, renting a shit-hole apartment, and working part time.  Just enough to scrape by, but have free time to go hiking, fishing, etc. whenever I want.  But realistically, I don't think it would work.  I'd probably be too broke to enjoy myself, and eventually I'd be old, broken down, and penniless.  I don't want to end up on the dole.

Maybe if I ever get laid off, I can live that "dream" for a short while.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:19:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

To be fair, there are a lot of people on shift work now, who don't work 9-5 M-F.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are also many people who work four 10 or 12 hour days and get a full weekday off.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:20:50 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote

I know multiple young people who stopped working at 25yo and will never have to work again.

They were born lucky and invest their money regularly. They also spend it, which helps the economy.

I'm okay this with this.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:21:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Sure, but he knows OP is "in this rat race."  It would take a few minutes to swing by and drop off the work before he goes for coffee, but instead he blows off his commitment and goes to the coffee shop.  Makes me think the guy is an inconsiderate asshole, rat race or not.  If that's the way he is, the rat race probably doesn't want him anyway.  We're all better off if he just stays the fuck out of our way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Think about it...

Not everyone gives much of a shit about the schedules of their clients or adhering to them very tightly when you're doing good work for them cheaply.

That doesn't necessarily make them an asshole, either.

I have a regular type, full time gig. I also do a ton of side work for friends and family. I'll get to it when I get to it and I'll get it back to you when I get it back to you. If you want someone's throat to choke when it's not being done on your schedule, go hire someone who will charge you the going rate for the level of work you expect, not a buddy giving you "friend rates."

I'm actually very seldom "late" with the work I do but, I also very seldom tie myself down to a deadline if it's side work. If *I'm* doing someone a favor, I don't feel especially beholden to their time line or expectations of professionalism unless I've agreed to them, in advance.

I've TOLD people "yeah, I can fix it but I can't promise I can fix it by then, you may want to take it to someone you can pay to promise you those terms." A couple of times those people have done just that, most times, I find, those expectations are just some arbitrary shit the person conjured up on their own based on their personal expectations of how shit *should* work.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:26:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

This. I get your point but there are a few flaws in your line of thinking. Such as something like 1/5 Americans only work part time, he seems to be one of them. Thats lots better then the 1/5 Americans that choose not to work at all.

If the guy does good work for cheap, why are you complaining that it's done slowly?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:28:46 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Jelly much?
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:29:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Tree rats, chipmunks, tree rats, deer, groundhogs, hawks, tree rats, rabbits, I'm sure the occasional skunk, tree rats, the local avian variety, and more squirrels.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:30:23 AM EDT
[#32]
When I need something done that I can't do myself, I go to a real live in business professional who will charge me the going rate. I get it done with bitching priveleges intact. Had  enough buddy rate snafus in the past.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:31:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Tree rats, chipmunks, tree rats, deer, groundhogs, hawks, tree rats, rabbits, I'm sure the occasional skunk, tree rats, the local avian variety, and more squirrels.
View Quote

They have no responsibilities?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:31:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

This. I get your point but there are a few flaws in your line of thinking. Such as something like 1/5 Americans only work part time, he seems to be one of them. Thats lots better then the 1/5 Americans that choose not to work at all.

If the guy does good work for cheap, why are you complaining that it's done slowly?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

RIF….go back to my first post.

He was supposed to be by earlier this week, but bailed at the last minute to go out to dinner and party….

He was supposed to be by this morning at nine am…but hasn't shown up yet because he "wants to get caught up with his people at the coffee shop"

I have no issue with slow…none at all.  What I have an issue with are people that will say they will be somewhere at a certain time and are not, and than act like its no big deal….

I mean, I have 2 hours a night free during the week, and a ton of stuff that I need to do on the weekends.  I don't have time to sit around like this…

I've actually given this guy a fair amount of business in the past, but this is going to the last time….
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:32:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jelly much?

dont know wtf that means.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:40:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.  I worked tons of nights and weekends.  Always pissed me off when someone assumed I was lazy or not working cause I was at the store at 10am buying something.

I remember starting at a job as a contractor, and they wanted night shift to start soon.  The other employees were like "You mean...like...work till 6pm?"  they were totally flabbergasted that the company wanted us to go 24/7/365.  They could not understand how people could work nights and weekends and....gasp HOLIDAYS!?  My response was basically 'must be nice going through life only ever working 9-5 M-F....'
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:53:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

He was supposed to be by earlier this week, but bailed at the last minute to go out to dinner and party….

He was supposed to be by this morning at nine am…but hasn't shown up yet because he "wants to get caught up with his people at the coffee shop"

I have no issue with slow…none at all.  What I have an issue with are people that will say they will be somewhere at a certain time and are not, and than act like its no big deal….

I mean, I have 2 hours a night free during the week, and a ton of stuff that I need to do on the weekends.  I don't have time to sit around like this…

I've actually given this guy a fair amount of business in the past, but this is going to the last time….
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you dont have time to wait for something pay someone to do the task fast and well instead of cheap and well. I get your frustration that he said he would be there and isn't. That said, it really seems like you had some pretty unreasonable expectations coming into this from the guy you knew was irresponsible.

Ive got a similar situation. I'm paying a buddy to build a computer for my brother. Hes going to order all the parts, unpack everything and assemble it. It's probably 5 hours of work. I'm going to pay him 60 dollars to do it. He's unemployed, never finished college, and just generally flaky guy. A sort of "Oh I was going to come over but then I forgot to set my alarm and slept till noon" kind of guy. He was going to have the computer finished and built so I could install an OS almost 2 weeks ago now. It still isn't finished, which is no big deal because going in knew I was getting a cut rate.

My brother asked how much he would save building a computer but didn't want to do it and wondered if I did. I said sure but it would be 200 dollars. He wondered if he could get someone else to do it cheaper. I said sure but it might take a while. He just wanted something done well and cheap and said fine. If he had wanted it done within 3 days I would have told him to spend the extra 300 bucks and get a computer at best buy.

It seems like you're in the same situation, opted for the same choice he did, but expected a much different result from someone you knew was sketchy.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:01:01 AM EDT
[#38]
There is only one problem.

What if money is worthless when it comes time to retire?

That would suck.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:02:42 AM EDT
[#39]
You sound jealous OP. Some people don't define themselves by how many hours a week they spend at work. As long as they're not on the public tit I say good for them.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:05:05 AM EDT
[#40]
I work glorified part time.
Sometimes I'm busy sometimes slow.
I do honor my word regarding time since I don't like mine wasted.
I knew early on that working and putting in the time requirements year end and year out at a real job was not for me.
I don't make alot of money nor have a hot wife and adorable kids.
However for the most part my time is my own -- it's a trade off, I'm cool with driving mid 90's vehicles, not appearing outwardly "successful".
Luckily I bought a couple properties early in a desirable coastal area, one paid off and the other 5 yrs from being pid off.
I sorta get a kick out of some new neighbors over the years asking me if the rent was cheap trying to puzzle piece clues together how I manage to pull my shit off with my part time, ramble shack rides ass. " rent?" I reply " I own this thing out right" -- it crushes them.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:09:01 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
wonder what their 401K's look like, if they have one.  They're retire poor if they live that long
View Quote

Retirements for the weak, if someone still able to accomplish goals, help, or do anything worth shit they still should. Sitting around doing jack shit, or cruising the U.S. in a trailer just doesn't sound to rewarding.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:11:21 AM EDT
[#42]
I will be out doing grocery shopping or running errands on any given day. My schedule can be a strange one now with the kid. When I start a job I work every day until it is done and really bust ass to finish it up and get my final payment.

Then I usually take a few days off to hang out with the kid, clean out my truck and run errands.

I also take most of the winter off to watch the kid.

We aren't rich, but we keep up with the bills, have a happy little girl and live a good life with enough free time to be a family.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:11:24 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Years ago I used to fix computers.  I didn't charge much at all.  It was going out money.  I told everyone up front that I do it on my free time.  If you need it quick, go somewhere else.  I stopped doing it because a guy who I told I didn't have time when he called, started bugging me when it was taking too long.  I stopped doing it after that.  Not worth it.
View Quote

I do the same thing with home automotive repair. I do it right, I do it cheap and I do it on my own time. If you're in a hurry go pay the dealership three times the labor rate I'm charging is what I tell people upfront. Most of my work is based off referrals and one day a friend of a co worker drops off his car for repair. That fucker called me every day for three days wanting an ETA. Finally I just rolled it out to the street and told him to send a rollback to pick it up and take it to another shop.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:14:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

There are also many people who work four 10 or 12 hour days and get a full weekday off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I work Monday-Tuesday-Thursday and if I worked late on one or more of the other days sometimes go home by noon on Friday.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:14:40 AM EDT
[#45]
OP, keep slaving away, society appreciates it, especially when they eventually come for your 401k. In the meantime, I'm going to take it easy and enjoy my life. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to the coffee shop.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:15:18 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I do the same thing with home automotive repair. I do it right, I do it cheap and I do it on my own time. If you're in a hurry go pay the dealership three times the labor rate I'm charging is what I tell people upfront. Most of my work is based off referrals and one day a friend of a co worker drops off his car for repair. That fucker called me every day for three days wanting an ETA. Finally I just rolled it out to the street and told him to send a rollback to pick it up and take it to another shop.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are vastly more patient and reserved in your application of wrath than I am, I can say that for certain.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:16:11 AM EDT
[#47]
You are misplacing your anger.  You should dislike those who don't follow through with an obligation.

Frankly I don't give a single fuck if people work or not, as long as they are not taking government handouts.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:16:15 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Exactly.  I worked tons of nights and weekends.  Always pissed me off when someone assumed I was lazy or not working cause I was at the store at 10am buying something.

I remember starting at a job as a contractor, and they wanted night shift to start soon.  The other employees were like "You mean...like...work till 6pm?"  they were totally flabbergasted that the company wanted us to go 24/7/365.  They could not understand how people could work nights and weekends and....gasp HOLIDAYS!?  My response was basically 'must be nice going through life only ever working 9-5 M-F....'
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This. Only recently after a great job offer have I gone to a nice bankers hours schedule. I kinda miss having weekdays off.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:24:16 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View Quote

Oh, so what you really mean is you're jealous that you bust your ass and this guy has it easy. You wish your wife would let you lay about and that you would inherit a paid-off house.

I know a bunch of people (men and women) who live (well) off of oil royalties and don't do shit but take vacations and dine out all the time. Being jealous will take years off your life. Mind your own business and let it go.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:29:03 AM EDT
[#50]
People who don't work are really starting to irritate me..
View Quote

Me too. They're called my coworkers
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top