Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2013 7:32:32 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:34:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Dave Ramsey has said that Yelp is rapidly losing credibility for stuff like this.

Never used it myself, so I can't say first-hand...
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:36:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:39:09 AM EDT
[#3]

Suspicions have long existed that some public relations companies engaged in re-writing Wikipedia entries using obscure user accounts in order to present a more favourable picture of a client.
View Quote

Actually, no, there were not suspicions. Usually it was so blatant that it was funny. I loled at a bunch of them.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:40:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I run a very small forum of friends. Maybe 75 members are legitimate. I currently have over 30K Members awaiting registration approval that are all fake. lol
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:41:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I wonder how many of those accounts were involved with Scientology...
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:41:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Ove the past year, I have noticed a growing shill problem in Tripadvisor's restaurant reviews as well.  In Budapest, I think 87% of the reviews were either shilling or trying to hurt the competition.  It was the first time I simply stopped using it as a reference.

The hotel and other reviews so far have not let me astray.

I fear it is a growing problem.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:41:11 AM EDT
[#7]

This explains soooooooo much.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:42:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I run a very small forum of friends. Maybe 75 members are legitimate. I currently have over 30K Members awaiting registration approval that are all fake. lol
View Quote

Wow, that really adds to my appreciation of what the folks here have built and maintained.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:43:02 AM EDT
[#9]
I thought during the last election cycle, here on arfcom we had some puppets.

We had the normal libertarians.

Then we had sme, "well, since there is no difference between Republicans and Democrats, I am going to pull the lever on Democrats, and here are my reasons..."

Smart trolling with the end result: supporting Democrats.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:46:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Enter: Virgil Griffith AKA Romanpoet

He has done some neat things, including Wikiscanner, which traces IPs back to their source and cross references them with known IPs of companies,
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:54:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yeah Yelp not only has shills on it but I think you can buy them off to get out of bad reviews.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dave Ramsey has said that Yelp is rapidly losing credibility for stuff like this.

Never used it myself, so I can't say first-hand...
Yeah Yelp not only has shills on it but I think you can buy them off to get out of bad reviews.  

we may or may not have built a program that will yelp bomb a company with 100's of fake reviews.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:57:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Actually, no, there were not suspicions. Usually it was so blatant that it was funny. I loled at a bunch of them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Suspicions have long existed that some public relations companies engaged in re-writing Wikipedia entries using obscure user accounts in order to present a more favourable picture of a client.

I do it all the time for my clients and even throw a link to their site in there to get that link juice.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:59:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I thought during the last election cycle, here on arfcom we had some puppets.

We had the normal libertarians.

Then we had sme, "well, since there is no difference between Republicans and Democrats, I am going to pull the lever on Democrats, and here are my reasons..."

Smart trolling with the end result: supporting Democrats.
View Quote

LOl.  

You're talking about election shills.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:59:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:03:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Shills are everywhere . I noticed it on a lot of sites . Not one bad review for some places.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:09:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:17:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So you're a professional shill?  

http://www.businessinsider.com/new-york-cracks-down-on-fake-yelp-reviews-2013-9

NYAG wacked a bunch of you guys for $ 350k in fines last year
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do it all the time for my clients and even throw a link to their site in there to get that link juice.
So you're a professional shill?  

http://www.businessinsider.com/new-york-cracks-down-on-fake-yelp-reviews-2013-9

NYAG wacked a bunch of you guys for $ 350k in fines last year

What the Fuck?

I'd love to see them go after Broadway shows and Hollywood films for selectively editing reviews so the reader thinks the reviewer said something positive about the latest bomb.

I wonder when they will realize that Manhattan is still the advertising center of The United States.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:18:11 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

we may or may not have built a program that will yelp bomb a company with 100's of fake reviews.
View Quote

Ive long felt that there were just such animals out there . Caveat emptor

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:24:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Ove the past year, I have noticed a growing shill problem in Tripadvisor's restaurant reviews as well.  In Budapest, I think 87% of the reviews were either shilling or trying to hurt the competition.  It was the first time I simply stopped using it as a reference.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Here's a TripAdvisor review I did...

You KNOW a restraunt is bad when their finest offering is chicken strips. Their pizza sauce is bland and they always seem use so very little of it. The crust is an affront to pizza lovers worldwide. Don't even get me going about their flavorless macaroni & cheese. There's bacon in it, and it couldn't save that mess.

This business needs to burn their cookbooks and start fresh. If you're in a hurry and work nearby (and I mean line-of-sight close) they're a slight improvement over going without eating.

A person would do well to seek the relative culinary excellence of the nearby McDonald's or Wendy's, unless you really want chicken strips....

It's still up.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:45:52 AM EDT
[#20]
There are companies with hired staff that impersonate personas that make positive or negative reviews on virtually anything they are hired for.

So, whoever still trusts Internet "reviews" without a (ton of) grain of salt better review his/her stance.

No need to say that a certain party uses these services en masse.  I also started noticing that several of my Facebook acquaintances (people I know personally) started getting mad when I make comments to their posts boasting some clear lies about the current regime, which makes me wonder how really bad this whole brainswash is spreading.  These folks used to be very clear minded and used to have rational thoughts.   This whole thing is very weird.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:17:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I hope not, as I've grown to trust TA.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope not, as I've grown to trust TA.

I always feel like quite the hipster when I say I've been using Tripadvisor before most people know about it, but it's true.  I made several cross country road trips relying on it solely for deciding on places to stay, and had the best, stress free experiences on staying somewhere in a strange town for the night I had ever had.  No more scary, dirty motels with the 90 year old half deaf Indian lady in the office, looking like she might die any minute and unable to tell you how to turn down the air conditioner.

So far, the Budapest thing seems a one off, relatively, but I am concerned about how they can mitigate the problem and keep their integrity into the future.  If this thread is any indicator, many people see no ethical problem with manipulating such things.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:22:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Shit, they advertise on the radio all the time.  "Reputation De-Fucker" and whatever.  This is how they operate.  Scrub negative reviews when possible, spam fake good reviews, etc.

And shit, it aint like we're exactly unfamiliar with political shills here.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:24:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

our biggest competitor (a top 10 e-commerce site) got caught using one on various small business in their local markets. Take Yelp and Google Places ratings with a grain of salt EVERY TIME. Even Trip Advisor. It's all how much money you are willing to spend. Angies List is probably the most honest one.

One of our clients was getting black hatted by another company, once we found out who it was, we used the nuclear option on them. Online marketing is cut throat, but there is a lot of money to be had by companies willing to pay to protect their brand or attack someone else's. It's the wild west.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:26:39 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View Quote

I talked to someone who owns another forum a few weeks ago and he said there were constantly shills on his site, which is not a huge website ie maybe the traffic size of Glocktalk or m4carbine.
Big time

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top