Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2013 7:18:01 AM EDT
Invited to a range trip with friends today, wanted to bring out the mosin so we had something that was cheap to shoot besides all the good toys.

Last time I shot it, I used ammonia windex + dry patches then oily patches right after shooting. However if I wanted to wait until I got home, surely the corrosive ammo wouldn't have done any damage in the span of 8-10hrs?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:19:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Clean ASAP. Even if that means bringing some water to the range to dump down the barrel, then spraying it down with gun lube after you dry the water
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:21:41 AM EDT
[#2]
8-10 hours, in a humid environment, could do damage. I wouldn't risk it. Bring Windex to the range, thoroughly wet the bore and action before leaving. This will neutralize the salts and give you more time.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:22:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I keep a spray can of aerokroil in the toolbox.  Before I leave the range I flood the barrel and action wipe off excess and clean when I get home.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:23:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Probably not. It depends on how much humidity is around the rifle. Get it nice and cold and then bring it into a warm, 70% humid house and leave it there for 10 hours - not a good plan. Leave it outside if you have to wait a long time before you clean it. I always did my muzzleloaders immediately after I got back from the range, but most people say that up to 24 hours won't hurt it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:25:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I appreciate it guys, ya I'll do a good cleaning before I leave the range, $79 rifle but all my guns mean a lot to me regardless of the cost.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:27:24 AM EDT
[#6]
You'd be surprised how fast corrosive ammo will rust a carbon steel bore.

Windex does nothing special.  Water is the key.  Some pitch windex because ammonia does help clean copper fouling, but it's been a LONG time since windex had actual ammonia.  The Ammonia-D that they advertise is merely a trade name for some other compound.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:29:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You'd be surprised how fast corrosive ammo will rust a carbon steel bore.

Windex does nothing special.  Water is the key.  Some pitch windex because ammonia does help clean copper fouling, but it's been a LONG time since windex had actual ammonia.  The Ammonia-D that they advertise is merely a trade name for some other compound.
View Quote

ya I packed 2 bottles of water and I have some hoppes 9 ill soak it with after its wiped dry/clean.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:34:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This will neutralize the salts and give you more time.
View Quote

Salts aren't "neutralized". The point of the exercise is to flush the salts away. Water will accomplish that. The water in glass cleaner will do that too. Glass cleaner is simply much more expensive than tap water.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:34:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Moose milk is a one stop do all for corrosive ammo.

Its also bio degradable so you can use it right at the shooting bench.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:03:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Yup, lots of water to dissolve/wash away salts is the key.  If I had to clean it at the range, I would bring a 2 liter jug and a funnel to pour the water down the barrel.  Of course solvent & oil afterwards to clean and then protect...
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:16:43 AM EDT
[#11]
is long as you get it done within the same day you'll be fine. The guys that actually fielded these guns in battle probably went longer.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:45:56 AM EDT
[#12]
This thread made me remember one of my 91/30's that I took to the range a while back. Only shot 8-10 rounds thru it, then ran a bore snake thru the bore for a quick clean-up. Once I got home I put it away and forgot to finish the cleaning.

Got it out today after reading this thread. Bore looked pretty good but I could see some residue. I wanted to soak the bore with some solvent so I found a new (and possibly old trick). Using a single used foam earplug I plugged the muzzle end and sprayed non-chlorinated brake cleaner into the barrel. Let it sit for a few minutes and then pulled the plug to allow the cleaner to drain. Then I ran a solvent soaked.357 bore mop thru followed by a couple of patches and the bore snake. Bore now looks good but I'll definitely remember to give it a better cleaning the next time I take it out.

BK
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top