Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2013 7:07:45 AM EDT
Picked up another .22 rifle today, a little Cricket for $99 from Academy.

A lot of people use these as a survival type rifle.

This one has a hollow synthetic stock, I can store a little baggie with 30 rounds of ammo in there, and a few other survival type things.

Will probably keep this in the Jeep full time.

The box says 'Desert Tan' but it looks more green to me than tan.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:16:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks like a nice little gun.  Is it actually a youth rifle?

I usually comb the pawn shop for 22s when I feel the need to buy another.  Recently picked up a Marlin model 60 for $80 out the door. Very nice, only problem was the amount of filth in the receiver and somebody's initials carved into the stock. A good cleaning, and sanding and re-varnishing the stock took care of that.  Runs like a champ now.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:17:15 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Looks like a nice little gun.  Is it actually a youth rifle?

I usually comb the pawn shop for 22s when I feel the need to buy another.  Recently picked up a Marlin model 60 for $80 out the door. Very nice, only problem was the amount of filth in the receiver and somebody's initials carved into the stock. A good cleaning, and sanding and re-varnishing the stock took care of that.  Runs like a champ now.
View Quote
I have a small collection of those Model 60's for some odd reason

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:17:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Serious question.

Why would that be preferable to a 10/22 in a survival situation?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:19:01 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Serious question.

View Quote
Not saying it is preferable, but it is cheaper, smaller, lighter.

Weighs less than 3 lbs.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:19:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I have picked up 4 or 5 new 22's in the last couple months....dunno why but just did
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:20:54 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm sure you can store a little Baggie with "other stuff" in there.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:22:49 AM EDT
[#7]
To answer a question above, yes it is intended as a youth rifle.

Here is a video on youtube on it as a survival rifle. Mine doesn't have the bolt lock feature though, that might be a state he lives in requirement.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:25:39 AM EDT
[#8]
The only .22 rifle I have is a S&W M&P 15-22 I have been looking into putting together a 10/22 though.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:29:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Are you small enough to be able to shoot it? I shouldered one once when I was shopping around for my kids' first .22 rifles. It was so tiny I had to hold it 6" in front of my shoulder just to get my cheek on the comb so I could see through the sights.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:29:58 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Are you small enough to be able to shoot it? I shouldered one once when I was shopping around for my kids' first .22 rifles. It was so tiny I had to hold it 6" in front of my shoulder just to get my cheek on the comb so I could see through the sights.
View Quote
I am about the size of that guy in the video. It is a small rifle, but I can shoulder it fine.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:33:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I am about the size of that guy in the video. It is a small rifle, but I can shoulder it fine.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That doesn't really tell me much because there's no way to tell in the video how tall he is. The one time he shoulders it, it appears he's holding it in front of his shoulder, not against it (notice his cheek is almost above the butt). And he's wearing a heavy coat. Looks to me like he has to hold it the same way I did to shoot it.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:36:57 AM EDT
[#12]
On a survival forum someone made a sling out of braided paracord for it, I will have to look into making one of those.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:41:58 AM EDT
[#13]
I got on the same kick. I was shopping for my 7 yr old a .22, looked at those, but he is almost 5 ft. tall already, so I just got him a 10/22. While at the store, they had a shit pile of the takedown models, so I grabbed one of those for myself.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:55:06 AM EDT
[#14]
I can shoot one just fine and I'm 6' tall. But, I like short stocks anyway.

Here's a Remington 512 (or514 forget which) that I modified for my boy when he was about 6. Elk antler butt plate and schrimshaw medallion inlet into the side. Bbl cut and crowned at 16.25" and the forearm cut back for proportionality.

" />

" />
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:58:34 AM EDT
[#15]
I got one of those for my daughter. I've ended up shooting it a lot around the farm killing squirrels, rabbits, etc.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:59:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Savage makes a neat little 16" threaded barrel .22LR bolt gun that drives tacks.

I just bought one a week ago.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:00:43 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Savage makes a neat little 16" threaded barrel .22LR bolt gun that drives tacks.

I just bought one a week ago.
View Quote
They have one now called the Rascal that is similar to the Cricket but about 2x the price.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:01:13 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a Ruger 10/22, a Savage MkII, a Stevens 66-B, and I used to have a Nylon 66 (it got stolen ).  

I have the itch for a Marlin 60.  I just might get one soon.

LC
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:04:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Here's a Remington 512 (or514 forget which) that I modified for my boy when he was about 6. Elk antler butt plate and schrimshaw medallion inlet into the side. Bbl cut and crowned at 16.25" and the forearm cut back for proportionality.

http://<a href=http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/u660/ridgerunner9876/DSCF7348_zps5f1dff12.jpg</a>" />

http://<a href=http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/u660/ridgerunner9876/DSCF7898_zpsc42cd611.jpg</a>" />
View Quote

Wow. That's seriously cool. Wanna do my lever action for me?  

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:07:41 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Serious question.

Weighs less than 3 lbs.
I never thought about it , but sounds like a good idea .

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:13:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Absolutely no info on their website. What is the length of pull? Do they offer other sights? Are there aftermarket sights available? What lb is the trigger? Are there aftermarket triggers available? Bolt material? HPT MPI tested? Barrel material and testing?

These are things I consider when betting my life on a "survival" rifle.

Seriously though, Marlin makes a dandy .22 LR bolt rifle if the OP is interested and they absolutely drive tacks to any humane distance. Check out the discontinued Model 25. They can be had for around $100. Aftermarket (improved) triggers are available and 7 round mags are still cheap.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:15:34 AM EDT
[#22]
.22lr?  Why the hell do people by rifles in calibers which ammo is no longer made? I mean seriously... It's easier to find factory .30-40 Krag.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:17:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://<a href=http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/u660/ridgerunner9876/DSCF7348_zps5f1dff12.jpg</a>" />

http://<a href=http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/u660/ridgerunner9876/DSCF7898_zpsc42cd611.jpg</a>" />

Hell, at shop rate, that's probably a 600 dollar rifle, now. I also made a pocket hatchet with a matching stain on the ash handle. Head made of 4140 and handle rived out of a piece of firewood from my woodpile. Added a puukko style knife with curly birch and reindeer antler handle. It was his 6th Christmas. Still talks about it, 7 years later.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:18:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Weighs less than 3 lbs.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Serious question.

Weighs less than 3 lbs.

A .22 LR pistol is even better.  But they are a lot louder.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:18:54 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

.22lr?  Why the hell do people by rifles in calibers which ammo is no longer made? I mean seriously... It's easier to find factory .30-40 Krag.
View Quote
I have a lifetime supply of .22lr, I need to start shooting it up.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:20:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lifetime?  I have just shy of 50k and I am actively looking for more.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:25:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Slap this into a Hogue stock. May not reach the 3lb mark but you will be under the 4.5 advertised weight with the wood stock.

Ruger 10/22 Compact
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:29:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

This one has a hollow synthetic stock, I can store a little baggie with 30 rounds of ammo in there, and a few other survival type things.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/capnrob97/dab3bd22c06791d28edafe1866cc6acd_zps218d3013.jpg
View Quote

I have been thinking about a small, compact single shot .22 for my daughter ( she is 2 ). I think I like the cricket, let us know how it shoots.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:40:28 AM EDT
[#29]

A scoped &  suppressed 22 shooting around 1k fps is a necessity.  It proves useful in many, many situations.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:41:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I have been thinking about a small, compact single shot .22 for my daughter ( she is 2 ). I think I like the cricket, let us know how it shoots.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/capnrob97/dab3bd22c06791d28edafe1866cc6acd_zps218d3013.jpg

I had a cricket. Sold it. Bought the daughter a Savage cub in pink. It is by far a better rifle. Accutrigger is great for the kiddo. Peep sight is bonus. Of course they're more than twice the price, too. .
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:45:18 AM EDT
[#31]
I purchased one in wood/blue for my son when he was 5 yrs old, of course he loved it. Very accurate little bugger, came with open (peep) sight, they do sell base for a scope, the receiver on mine was drilled/tapped. I put a old Bushnell 1.5 x 4 on it, lots of red squirrels lost their lives to that set up. It hangs on my basement wall now, more of a man cave decoration, until the grandkids come along. FWIW I am 6'4" and had no trouble hunching up and shooting it accurately, not something I would want to do a lot of though. Nice purchase, you will be happy with it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:45:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Checked out a a Ruger American yesterday at Academy. I think I'm going to get a couple.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:07:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

i only have 15k  
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:15:43 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View Quote
That's a 514. Great little rifles. I have four of them!

I've got one that I'm going to refinish for my 11 month old girl. I haven't decided what I'm going to do with it yet.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:28:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

That doesn't really tell me much because there's no way to tell in the video how tall he is. The one time he shoulders it, it appears he's holding it in front of his shoulder, not against it (notice his cheek is almost above the butt). And he's wearing a heavy coat. Looks to me like he has to hold it the same way I did to shoot it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm 6'3" and approx 330lbs. In this shot the rifle is firm against my collar bone with my cheek bone on the comb. It's a bit tight, but I can shoot pretty accurately with it anyway and it's not all that uncomfortable. Then again, at my size, I've had a lifetime of squeezing into things I wasn't meant to fit into either.

And hey, it's a Sunday morning. This is what all Tier 1 operators wear!

Same pose shouldering an M4 (14.5" bbl w/1.5" brake and collapsed stock). I don't usually shoot with stock collapsed, but I have on occasion without a problem.

Both rifles side by side.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:49:04 AM EDT
[#36]
I love the Cricket. Bought one for my daughter. They sell a scope mount for it. Decently accurate, great for a kid. May have to put a survival kit in there for her.

Only thing I hate, is it is tough to load with sausage fingers like mine. Wish it had feed ramps of of some kind.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:07:22 AM EDT
[#37]
I picked up a Ruger American Rimfire in .22 LR yesterday. Two problems, nobody in town has Weaver #12 bases in stock. And the real pisser is NONE OF MY FUCKING BUTLER CREEK MAGS FIT IN THE MAG WELL. My BX-25's work just fine though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top