Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/27/2013 5:14:31 AM EDT
injuring or damaging nothing?

Just curious as to what most people would consider a just punishment, if any?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:15:27 AM EDT
[#1]
No victim; no crime.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:15:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Foolishness

Negligence

Willful misconduct resulting in manslaughter/damages
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:17:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Non-criminal forfeiture unless damage or injury occurs..
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:17:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No victim; no crime.
View Quote

As we all would like to think this, tell that to the trooper pulling you over doing 95mph...
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:19:13 AM EDT
[#5]
It didn't break Newton's law so where is the harm?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:22:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Where, in NYC or in the desert of New Mexico? Location probably does make a difference.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:23:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Are we speaking of an experiment on a suitable piece of open land or are we talking about celebratory gunfire on New Years Eve in a residential neighborhood?

BIG DIFFERENCE IMO

ETA- I do wish the courts would look towards mandatory firearms safety training in those cases of pure ignorance where nobody has been harmed instead of treating every ND or charge of "brandishing" as having criminal intent.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:25:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Are we speaking of an experiment on a suitable piece of open land or are we talking about celebratory gunfire on New Years Eve in a residential neighborhood?

BIG DIFFERENCE IMO
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:27:12 AM EDT
[#9]
No charges if you catch the round
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:27:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Service as Vice President for a period of one to four years.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:30:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Should be some kind of penalty for firing into the air. Dont know what but its incredibly stupid. Unless the bullet comes down and hits the person who fired the shot.  Then i say lesson learned
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:31:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Every round I've ever fired was fired into the air, and came down somewhere.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:32:38 AM EDT
[#13]
So only drunk drivers and reckless speeders who actually cause wrecks should be charged with a violation of the law.

Same as a guy who walks down the sidewalk swinging a sword; so long as his blade doesn't connect with anyone else's flesh, or some nut-job who sets off a bomb in a theater but doesn't harm anyone.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:33:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

BIG DIFFERENCE IMO

ETA- I do wish the courts would look towards mandatory firearms safety training in those cases of pure ignorance where nobody has been harmed instead of treating every ND or charge of "brandishing" as having criminal intent.
View Quote

I agree with that last part.  Although I disagree with mandatory training for everyone up front, since it assumes everyone is ignorant, I think once you have PROVED your ignorance, training is necessary.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:36:01 AM EDT
[#15]
if your dumbass is just going out racking off rounds in the air....you do need to take a safety class because you shouldn't be around other people with a firearm.........joe fucking biden included
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:36:17 AM EDT
[#16]
For arguments sake, let's just say in suburbia.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:37:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Perp should be forced to lug around a dead duck all day
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:38:14 AM EDT
[#18]
I would imagine most communities already have "illegal discharge of firearm" penalties on the books.

I don't have a problem penalizing idiots who shoot guns up into the air with no regard for where the bullet will land. People like that give responsible gun owners and shooter a bad name.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:41:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

YMMV.
View Quote

Not sure it's a good idea to admit that on the Internet.
Might want to hide your dogs.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:41:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

YMMV.
View Quote

I came to post this,

I have NEVER put the barrel of ANY gun into the ground and fired
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:41:52 AM EDT
[#21]
this thread is stupid

do not shoot your guns in the air
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:46:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I came to post this,

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

YMMV.

I came to post this,

I'm talking not at a target, but rather say, 45-90* into the clear blue skies.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:53:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

YMMV.

I came to post this,

I'm guessin you've never been bird hunting, shot clays?

General statments get a lot of general answers

BTW I KNOW what you intended
And I'm pretty sure a bullet falling back to earth is not going to do much damage
Now one ina 45* arc probably can.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:54:44 AM EDT
[#24]

I read on here sometime back that within a certain angle from vertical, all you're dealing with is a bullet falling at terminal velocity.  If someone dropped a 5.56 bullet from a skyscraper, would it just be an annoyance?  Maybe a hail dent in your car?

However at shallower angles, it retains it's high sideways velocity for the duration of it's arcing flight.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:58:43 AM EDT
[#25]
If nobody was injured or no property damaged you should be offered  enrollment in a firearms safety/concealed carry class, by your local PD or gun range. This should be of no cost to you but a discount on an NRA or gun club membership would be available upon completion of training.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:04:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

YMMV.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:04:56 AM EDT
[#27]
It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my arm.

Victimless crimes aren't crimes.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:06:54 AM EDT
[#28]
your should be punched in the throat but no formal charges.
if you hit someone you should be brought out into the desert and be made to stand down range from a couple hundred people firing aimlessly into the air in your general direction.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:22:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:23:47 AM EDT
[#30]
I'd go with a small "dumbass" fine. There may be no victim, but your activity is inherently dangerous to others.

If you want to blast on new years in suburbia, shoot into the dirt.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:26:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Ammo Regulation Penalty during a national shortage should apply, possibly doubled.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:26:47 AM EDT
[#32]
If done in a populated area, a reckless discharge is really not much different from reckless driving:  nobody has been hurt in this particular case, but there is a significant probability that the behavior would injure someone else if continued.

Usually reckless driving is some sort of misdemeanor.  Often the penalty scales for repeat offenses.  That seems reasonable.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:34:54 AM EDT
[#33]
It needs to be illegal or there would be a LOT more of it.

I mean come on, Mac-10 skeet shooting; who wouldn't want to?

The first time I heard full auto gunfire was New Years even going into 1993 on a pizza delivery in St. Louis south city (few blocks south of Gravois/Grand). It was something fast like a MiniUzi or M11/9, and I think we can agree it wasn't into a water tank.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:41:34 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

injuring or damaging nothing?

Just curious as to what most people would consider a just punishment, if any?
View Quote

Intentional discharge of a firearm within XXX feet of a road, house, residential area, etc.

It's already covered by the law.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:42:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
No victim; no crime.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:47:05 AM EDT
[#36]
They should have to be able to prove that the particular round actually returned to earth.  Where is it?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:07:52 AM EDT
[#37]
In before video of snackbars shooting into air
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:18:49 AM EDT
[#38]
None of you heard about the Brandon Mackey incident?  Don't shoot your guns into the air...  The penalty should be that the person with you when you are kid beats the hell out of you to teach you how stupid it is.  Then you remember that shit and don't do it as an adult.

Side note:  I went to a meeting at a certain business in the not so friendly area of town here in Richmond.  On their conference room table was an ashtray filled with various caliber bullets, all damaged in some way.  It looked like they scooped up what you would find at an indoor shooting range.  When I asked about it, they said that after Holidays like New Years and the 4th of July, they find them laying around the property.  They land there after people celebrating fire into the air.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:19:23 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I read on here sometime back that within a certain angle from vertical, all you're dealing with is a bullet falling at terminal velocity.  If someone dropped a 5.56 bullet from a skyscraper, would it just be an annoyance?  Maybe a hail dent in your car?

However at shallower angles, it retains it's high sideways velocity for the duration of it's arcing flight.
View Quote
This is correct, the US Army did a study on this. They also found that the bullet when fired straight up will also come back to earth base down.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:41:51 AM EDT
[#40]
nothing like shooting a buzzard in a tree, with a 30-06.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:44:43 AM EDT
[#41]
all schools should have to teach mandatory hunter safety/ firearms classes, for the simple good of the country.  drivers ed/ gun safety.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:49:13 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

YMMV.
View Quote

Obviously not using 10mm.  All my rounds attain geosynchronous orbit.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:50:24 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
all schools should have to teach mandatory hunter safety/ firearms classes, for the simple good of the country.  drivers ed/ gun safety.
View Quote

That won't happen, at least not outside the most rural and conservative school districts.  Liberals want more reckless/negligent discharges, so they have more dead bodies piled up, so they can make a stronger emotional case while wrapping themselves in the bloody flag to put people like us into FEMA Trains.  Providing firearms safety training in schools would reduce the body count, not increase it.

The gun control people don't give a shit about saving lives.  They'd help kill a million kids and fingerpaint with the blood if it helped them get to their desired end state.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:27:48 AM EDT
[#44]
I'd much rather get hit with a bullet that fell from the sky at the speed of gravity than one at muzzle velocity.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:34:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Nothing.

The people here calling for punishment would probably be in jail for doing exactly what they criticize others for.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:39:48 AM EDT
[#46]
Just because a person wasn't injured in no way implies it is a victimless thing. The bullet comes down and is capable of property damage.

Gun people thinking it should be legal to shoot into the air feed into the view the left has of us.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:41:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'd much rather get hit with a bullet that fell from the sky at the speed of gravity than one at muzzle velocity.
View Quote

That only applies to a vertical or high angle shot. Certainly anything below 45º muzzle angle will be coming to earth at greater than gravitational terminal velocity .
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:54:48 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Just because a person wasn't injured in no way implies it is a victimless thing. The bullet comes down and is capable of property damage.

Gun people thinking it should be legal to shoot into the air feed into the view the left has of us.
View Quote
Just because I fired and hit my target is not a victimless crime either then. I could have shot over it and hit someone, should I then be prosecuted?

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:56:26 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
For arguments sake, let's just say in suburbia.
View Quote

Disorderly conduct unless someone gets hit with it, and then negligent assault assuming that there were no significant injuries.  

Of course, most municipalities around here have a statute that makes it illegal to discharge a firearm within the city limits so you'd get charged with that, and some form of assault if someone got hit with the bullet.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:57:32 AM EDT
[#50]
No victim, no crime... is a pretty bad way to approach it, IMO.

If someone were shooting at your feet, and right past your head, would that be "OK" as long as they didn't hurt you?

Irresponsible use of deadly weapons should have punishments. It's not "OK" to start shooting down the freeway as long as you don't hit anybody.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top