Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/26/2013 7:42:55 PM EDT
Pretend you are Germany's armament minister.  What tanks, assault guns, and tank destroyers do you go with and why?

My choices.

Panzer IV:  Can survive frontal hits from the Soviet T-34 76 MM at longer ranges and the the L48 had more reach than the the T-34.  Reliable and a good chassis for other assault guns.

Stug 3/4:  Low profile, easy to manufacture, works great at supporting infantry  and when deployed with other tanks as an anti tank role.

Jagdpanzer 4:  L40 is a superb anti-tank gun.  Low profile, easy to manufacture and works great an defending and supporting other tanks.

Nashorn:  Pak43 88 MM fucks shit up.  Used in the support role it can out range almost any tank gun.  Can also provide some hefty indirect fire support.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:48:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd run nothing but Rattes for everything, from AAA to siege guns to anti shipping.

They were the real solution. Hell yes. And I'd put a brewery and biergarten on each one.

ETA: and then I'd put Nazi's on the moon

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:49:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Tiger II, it looks sweet.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:50:56 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote
Right up to the point it breaks down....

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:52:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Nope. Trust me.

Ratte.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:55:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Big target for a 500lb bomb.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:02:13 PM EDT
[#6]
STUG III

Panthers

Jagdpanther
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:02:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Knock it off with too fancy for their own good suspension and roadwheels.

More Stugs. Stugs with Christie suspension.

Use manufacturing ability I saved to build trucks,lots and lots of trucks.

Diesel engines.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:03:55 PM EDT
[#8]
The one in the rear.  

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:05:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Ah, details details.

Goering swears he'll protect them.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:07:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I take it you mean from ww2. If not Leo 2's
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:08:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Knock it off with too fancy for their own good suspension and roadwheels.

More Stugs. Stugs with Christie suspension.

Use manufacturing ability I saved to build trucks,lots and lots of trucks.

Diesel engines.
View Quote

I don't think a Pz III or IV chassis could be viable with all the interior hull space you'd lose with a Christie suspension.

Unless you designed a whole new vehicle around the suspension, and end up right back at square one.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:10:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Crank out as many Panzer IVs with the long 75mm cannon as possible. Easily a match for the Sherman and T-34. Then crank out some Panthers to tackle the bigger Soviet tanks. Tigers were a waste of time & money.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:15:35 PM EDT
[#13]
This thread is relevant to my interests.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:17:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Panther G.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:18:15 PM EDT
[#15]
G model Panthers and Jagdpanthers, that's it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:19:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Crank out as many Panzer IVs with the long 75mm cannon as possible. Easily a match for the Sherman and T-34. Then crank out some Panthers to tackle the bigger Soviet tanks. Tigers were a waste of time & money.
View Quote

No need for Panthers or at least do the Panther program correctly.  Could have just as easily killed bigger Soviet tanks with Jagdpanzer 4 or a Nashorn.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:19:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Panthers, nothing but panthers.

On the same token, nothing but FW190's.

Standardize.

Everything else, even the "wonder weapons" - King Tiger, V1, V2, rocket and jet planes were a waste of resources for a country that was on the defensive.

Pick weapons that are both effective and reliable and easy to produce and run with them...something the German couldn't never grasp.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:24:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Standardize.

Everything else, even the "wonder weapons" - King Tiger, V1, V2, rocket and jet planes were a waste of resources for a country that was on the defensive.

Pick weapons that are both effective and reliable and easy to produce and run with them...something the German couldn't never grasp.
View Quote

Jet planes were not a waste of resources. Hitler's chosen role for them made them a waste. If used as a pure fighter it would have caused a lot of problems for Allied air.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:25:38 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote

1 on 1, a battle between a Pz IV and a Sherman basically resulted in who got the first shot on target. German tanks had the better optics, but versus each other their guns and armor were basically a wash.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:29:09 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Standardize.

View Quote

Just playing a game of resources, which Germany was lacking

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:32:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

1 on 1, a battle between a Pz IV and a Sherman basically resulted in who got the first shot on target. German tanks had the better optics, but versus each other their guns and armor were basically a wash.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not a Sherman with a 75 mm gun, the 75 mm could not penetrate the PZ IV's frontal armor at normal combat range.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:33:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Panther G.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:34:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Panthers. Lots of Panthers.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:49:27 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Not a Sherman with a 75 mm gun, the 75 mm could not penetrate the PZ IV's frontal armor at normal combat range.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, not really.

Post from another forum, from a guy way smarter than I am.

80mm fronts of Panzer IVs were never "proof" against either Russian 76mm
or the Sherman M3 75mm.  When the latter was using uncapped ammo it had
comparable performance to the Russian 76mm, and both could be defeated
by the 80mm flat plate on Panzer IV hulls and StuG fronts, beyond close
range - about 400-500 meters.  But at close range the 80mm front was not
sufficient protection, and German accounts themselves state that 80mm
front provided "no protection" from Russian tank guns inside 500 meters.

With improved APCBC ammo in the late war, the performance of the Sherman
75mm improved considerably against these plates.  The German armor was
face hardened, but that provides little benefit against properly capped
ammo.  

Sherman 75s with capped ammo could also defeat the Tiger I side, which
was specified 80mm but frequently more like 82mm thickness and higher
quality plate than that found on the more common Panzer IVs and StuGs.  
Similarly, Russian 76mm using BR-350B (capped but not ballistic capped,
but an improvement over the early war BR-350A which wasn't capped at
all) did defeat such plates at point blank range.  The Russians also
developed APCR (tungsten core "sub caliber") ammunition for their 76mm
guns, fielded it in 1943 and abundantly in 1944.  Which could readily
penetrate 80mm flat plate to middling combat ranges.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:56:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

No, not really.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, not really.

80mm fronts of Panzer IVs were never "proof" against either Russian 76mm or the Sherman M3 75mm.  When the latter was using uncapped ammo it had comparable performance to the Russian 76mm, and both could be defeated by the 80mm flat plate on Panzer IV hulls and StuG fronts, beyond close range - about 400-500 meters.  But at close range the 80mm front was not sufficient protection, and German accounts themselves state that 80mm front provided "no protection" from Russian tank guns inside 500 meters.

With improved APCBC ammo in the late war, the performance of the Sherman 75mm improved considerably against these plates.  The German armor was face hardened, but that provides little benefit against properly capped ammo.  

Sherman 75s with capped ammo could also defeat the Tiger I side, which was specified 80mm but frequently more like 82mm thickness and higher quality plate than that found on the more common Panzer IVs and StuGs.  Similarly, Russian 76mm using BR-350B (capped but not ballistic capped, but an improvement over the early war BR-350A which wasn't capped at all) did defeat such plates at point blank range.  The Russians also developed APCR (tungsten core "sub caliber") ammunition for their 76mm guns, fielded it in 1943 and abundantly in 1944.  Which could readily penetrate 80mm flat plate to middling combat ranges.

Reading comprehension really isn't your thing is it?  Reread the part(s) in red and come back to me.
 The 75 mm had to get nut hugging close in terms of a tank battle to penetrate the Pnz 4's front armor.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:58:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Doesn't matter what your choices are. Your CEO is a raving lunatic, and he's calling the tune as to production priority and strategy.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:00:10 PM EDT
[#27]
As many ME-262's as possible.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:02:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Doesn't matter what your choices are. Your CEO is a raving lunatic, and he's calling the tune as to production priority and strategy.
View Quote

Not really on board with the whole killing the Jews thing either, not meant to be super serious just a discussion about tanks.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:05:55 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Reading comprehension really isn't your thing is it?  Reread the part(s) in red and come back to me.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Nope, I don't read anything I post.

Anyways, the turret front on a Pz IV only rated 50mm of armor, and that is not sufficient to combat the 75mm M3. Also, APCBC was showing up in quanity before the end of 1944 in the ETO anyhow.

Fighting in 43' in Italy the average AFV combat engagement range was 350 yds(Zaloga) and that was well within the effective range for the Sherman 75.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:07:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Anyways, the turret front on a Pz IV only rated 50mm of armor, and that is not sufficient to combat the 75mm M3. Also, APCBC was showing up in quanity before the end of 1944 in the ETO anyhow.

Fighting in 43' in Italy the average AFV combat engagement range was 350 yds(Zaloga) and that was well within the effective range for the Sherman 75.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's why the Germans added skirt armor to the turret as well as the sides.
Where did most tank combat occur...give you one guess, it wasn't in Italy.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:11:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Ferdinand FTW!
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:14:47 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You realize Schürzen were added to German AFV's to combat Russian ATR's right? Only then did they really find out they had an ancillary effect against HEAT warheads, against large caliber AP there were pretty much useless.
Yes, I know most tank combat took place in Western Europe. However, by the time of the breakout in August '44, Sherman 76's were showing up in sufficient numbers, and improved AP ammo as well.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:22:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

some Tiger units had a hell of a kill ratio, it did not hurt that half the time any german tank was spotted, Tiger was screamed sometimes or Tigre!! so it had that going for it to.  Slow turret traverse kinda sucked for anything close. but at range it was a great tank, It may have broken down less than the panther and king tiger. One tiger tank took over 300 hits and while it's main gun was damaged it was able to drive off to get repaired. Not sure that could have happened in a lighter tank. Though I am sure that was the exception. I think production was only around 400+ without looking it up. and that Jagdtigers and Sturmtigers were made from destroyed Tigers that were retrieved. Could be mistaken.

Though had the germans had the high velocity 50mm or 75mm in bulk at the start of Barbarossa things might have gone a bit different for the early encounters with the T-34
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:26:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
As many ME-262's as possible.
View Quote

not demanding they drop bombs might have made a hell of a change to the air war. Most likely would have entered service a year or two earlier. Having one dedicated long range heavy bomber from the start of the war would seriously put Soviet Siberian factories at risk.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:37:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

lol @ tigers waste of time but you want one of the most unreliable tanks of WW2 to be cranked out?  (the panther)

lmao

I'd have:

Upgraded Tiger 2's that were reliable
Panther's that were reliable
Pz4's with as big a gun as I could reliably stuff in them with upgraded/sloped armor
Jagdpanther's that were reliable
Elefants
A few Jagdtiger's
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:42:15 PM EDT
[#36]
A whole bunch of P 1000s!

They would nazi them coming!
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:44:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

You realize Schürzen were added to German AFV's to combat Russian ATR's right? Only then did they really find out they had an ancillary effect against HEAT warheads, against large caliber AP there were pretty much useless.

Yes, I know most tank combat took place in Western Europe. However, by the time of the breakout in August '44, Sherman 76's were showing up in sufficient numbers, and improved AP ammo as well.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't say it as the greatest thing since sliced white bread, I wouldn't call it useless against AP, it was a marginal stopgap.

I never once argued the 76 mm didn't play hell on the Pnz 4's.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:44:45 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
lol @ tigers waste of time but you want one of the most unreliable tanks of WW2 to be cranked out?  (the panther)

lmao
I'd have:

Pz4's with as big a gun as I could reliably stuff in them with upgraded/sloped armor

Elefants

A few Jagdtiger's

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

lmao
I'd have:

Elefants

A few Jagdtiger's

Well as long as we're fantasizing, then make my Panthers more reliable too.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:45:22 PM EDT
[#39]
IIRC, there were 1350 Tiger I / Pz VI E manufactured.

Quoted:

some Tiger units had a hell of a kill ratio, it did not hurt that half the time any german tank was spotted, Tiger was screamed sometimes or Tigre!! so it had that going for it to.  Slow turret traverse kinda sucked for anything close. but at range it was a great tank, It may have broken down less than the panther and king tiger. One tiger tank took over 300 hits and while it's main gun was damaged it was able to drive off to get repaired. Not sure that could have happened in a lighter tank. Though I am sure that was the exception. I think production was only around 400+ without looking it up. and that Jagdtigers and Sturmtigers were made from destroyed Tigers that were retrieved. Could be mistaken.

Though had the germans had the high velocity 50mm or 75mm in bulk at the start of Barbarossa things might have gone a bit different for the early encounters with the T-34
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:48:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lmao

I'd have:

Elefants
A few Jagdtiger's

amen
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 10:55:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Without knowing the specific capabilities of every kraut panzer, I'll chose the fastest (Xcountry speed) that can be manufactured most easily.
I'm going to overwhelm you like buzzing bees.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 12:38:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Without knowing the specific capabilities of every kraut panzer, I'll chose the fastest (Xcountry speed) that can be manufactured most easily.
I'm going to overwhelm you like buzzing bees.

View Quote

Same concept arrived at by U.S.A. and U.S.S.R: Sherman and T-34.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:40:46 AM EDT
[#43]
Tigers. I've read about every book ever written from Tiger crews and learned alot from their stories. Their tanks were highly thought of and very effective, especially when on the defense. The main problem was not enough were being manufactured, and replacement parts and equipment were hard to get. Luftwaffe was also in short supply with air cover.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:44:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Get a better commander for the Luftwaffe, and don't attack the Russians.  There was no problem with the hardware Germany had.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:59:21 AM EDT
[#45]
Pz-III With a high velocity 50mm from day 1

Pz-IV with the 75L48 firing pull power rounds (Ammo was downloaded to 75L43 power after issues with PaK AT guns using 75L48 spec rounds) Get rid of the hull MG, and add applique armor to limit the shot traps.

STuG III  75L43 and 105mm versions, as they were.

No JgdPz-IV's.

No Jagd-Tigers

Panther - Tiger II spec transmissions, Panthers used straight cut gears, not bevel cut gears that are much stronger in the drivelines.  Eliminate the hull MG Panther should be the highest production priority vehicle.

Tiger I - Eliminate hull MG, applique armor to more effectively slope the upper glacis area.

Tiger II - Eliminate hull MG

Hetzer

A workable diesel engine, appx 600 hp for Panther, Tiger I and Tiger II, along with bio-diesel production.

Switch from front drive to rear drive, to eliminate the issues with having the driveline run the length of the vehicle.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:01:46 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:09:38 AM EDT
[#47]
Awww man... I read the title too fast.  Very disappointed.  I thought this was another German Tank Tread...
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:13:17 AM EDT
[#48]
I would build a single P.1500. Game over.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:16:14 AM EDT
[#49]
If Germany doesn't attack Russia,it needs to build AT weapons and artillery like champs because the Russians are coming.

Of course,an argument can be made that had Stalin thrown his forces at Germany he might have shot his wad if they suffered Winter War levels of casualties. His generals didn't stage a coup because they had been invaded, they might have had they gone on the offensive and been routed.

Regarding the jets,if they had put enough money and time in testing them and there hadn't been stupid political and company rivalries they could have had He-280s operational in late 41/early 42. They wouldn't have had enough range to loiter but would have been near untouchable doing fighter sweeps.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:37:59 AM EDT
[#50]
Build T-34's. Tens of Thousands of T-34's. Quantity has a quality all its own...... And shoot that Sonofabitch Corporal right between the eyes in 1934 and be done with the whole thing.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top