Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/26/2013 3:04:58 PM EDT
WSJ article on the   Indian Motorcycle.

Nice read and some nice pictures for those of us interested in motorcycles.

I’ve been reading the author for years and not sure he knows as much as he thinks he knows. Usually writes about cars, and once in a while about pickups.

Mike
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:06:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Do they just reprint the same article every 5 years or so...

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:07:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Indian doesn't really resemble the company that it used to be. Haven't they failed twice in the past? I guess it's cool that they are back, but they are like the Armalite of the motorcycle world.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:08:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Now that Polaris owns it, Indian will finally get to relive its glory days.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:09:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Now that Polaris owns it, Indian will finally get to relive its glory days.
View Quote

Yep.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:11:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm on the fence......not sure if I like them
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:12:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Do they just reprint the same article every 5 years or so...

View Quote

So true.

Would love to see a permanent comeback though.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:20:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Is there a fender skirt delete option?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:22:40 PM EDT
[#8]
how long until the liberals attack them for (re)naming the company "Indian"?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:22:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:31:11 PM EDT
[#10]
From the same company that gave us this?

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:36:39 PM EDT
[#11]
812 pounds and 18,000 dollars.  Wow
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:50:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

<a href="https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ5u8N8rzrQRbSqkZpcjzZZNW88A9J4R9IZ06zqUg2z3xzfzWdb" target="_blank">https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ5u8N8rzrQRbSqkZpcjzZZNW88A9J4R9IZ06zqUg2z3xzfzWdb</a>    
View Quote

No.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:05:36 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
No.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

<a href="https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ5u8N8rzrQRbSqkZpcjzZZNW88A9J4R9IZ06zqUg2z3xzfzWdb" target="_blank">https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ5u8N8rzrQRbSqkZpcjzZZNW88A9J4R9IZ06zqUg2z3xzfzWdb</a>    

No.

Thanks I get those snowmobile companies mixed up. Yes I know they make Victory MCs too.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:09:29 PM EDT
[#14]
A Kirby vacuum cleaner rates higher in style points.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:16:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Mine...  not much to look at but she's mine...

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:24:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Who the hell would drop $18,000 on a motorcycle with 1950's technology?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:25:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Armalite?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:27:15 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm neutral on motorcycles in general, but always thought that Harleys represent the worst aspects of 50s styling.

IMO Indians represent the worst aspects of PRE-50s styling.

I just don't see anything graceful or attractive here.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:27:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Harley is number one in bike sales, with that mantra.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:12:09 PM EDT
[#20]
I may be going against the grain here, but I think that the new Indian is a great looking bike. I can't afford one, and wouldn't buy one, but I sure will be checking them out when they pass on the road. The weight to horsepower ratio is a little discouraging. My old BMW K bike makes as much HP and is 300 pounds lighter. One of the things I like about a bike is that there is acceleration on tap, and as much as you want. With a standard issue commuter car, you are in a box, following along with traffic. On a bike you are in the open, and are on a different plane with regard to speed. If I want to pass, I pass with little effort. On this bike, forget it. You have commuter car speed. You have so much weight and fairing, you might as well be in a car. I would rather buy a nice convertible sports car for the money.
There are some twisty mountain roads in West Virginia. Getting stuck behind a cruiser is like being stuck behind a dump truck.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:23:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The new Indians have a lot of Victory parts on them.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:27:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Indian doesn't really resemble the company that it used to be. Haven't they failed twice in the past? I guess it's cool that they are back, but they are like the Armalite of the motorcycle world.
View Quote

This. Old name, another new company. If they're going to succeed they'll need to take a page from Triumph's book and offer the motorcycle world something besides nostalgia.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:27:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I may be going against the grain here, but I think that the new Indian is a great looking bike. I can't afford one, and wouldn't buy one, but I sure will be checking them out when they pass on the road. The weight to horsepower ratio is a little discouraging. My old BMW K bike makes as much HP and is 300 pounds lighter. One of the things I like about a bike is that there is acceleration on tap, and as much as you want. With a standard issue commuter car, you are in a box, following along with traffic. On a bike you are in the open, and are on a different plane with regard to speed. If I want to pass, I pass with little effort. On this bike, forget it. You have commuter car speed. You have so much weight and fairing, you might as well be in a car. I would rather buy a nice convertible sports car for the money.
There are some twisty mountain roads in West Virginia. Getting stuck behind a cruiser is like being stuck behind a dump truck.
View Quote

Thanks for putting into words what I have been saying for years.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:47:06 PM EDT
[#24]
I was able to test ride the Indian Chieftain.
Not bad for a cruiser/bagger motorcycle.

It handled better than the Electra Glide Classic I rode the same day and it felt more powerful.

If I were in the market for a big bagger I would buy the Indian over the Harley.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:52:26 PM EDT
[#25]
They need to change the company name to "Indigenous North American"
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:27:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Is this the same motorcycle featured in the movie "The Fastest Indian" or something similar?

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:30:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Is this the same motorcycle featured in the movie "The Fastest Indian" or something similar?

View Quote

In legal name only.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:33:35 PM EDT
[#28]
We did the assembly line for them.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:40:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Does it come with instructions for the low wave?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:43:55 PM EDT
[#30]

I like it, going to restore it or leave it the way she sits?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:45:54 PM EDT
[#31]
I wish they would just let Indian die a graceful death. The old ones where cool, but damn now they are basically metric cruisers.
I'll stick with my single cam evo's.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:03:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ha ha.  Wrong.   Go take one for a test ride.  Commuter car speed?  That is ignorant.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:03:59 PM EDT
[#33]

Are you kidding? That's fucking beautiful.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:27:51 PM EDT
[#34]
I'd rather have this.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:37:31 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What are these parts?

AB

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:50:22 PM EDT
[#36]
The old-school Indians had great looking jugs.  Same for the old Harleys.

Black iron under aluminum is just sooo correct.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 11:00:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I'm neutral on motorcycles in general, but always thought that Harleys represent the worst aspects of 50s styling.

IMO Indians represent the worst aspects of PRE-50s styling.

I just don't see anything graceful or attractive here.

View Quote

Dude.

Check your head.

Seriously.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:17:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Ha ha.  Wrong.   Go take one for a test ride.  Commuter car speed?  That is ignorant.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm ignorant of many things, it is true. I have never ridden an Indian. Have you been on one? I've been stuck behind a great many cruisers on my twisting winding road to and from the nearest city. I have talked to guys that complained about how under powered their Goldwing's were as well. I've also seen more than one cruiser go over the center line in corners because they aren't made for it. Usually cruisers pull over and let me pass, and I don't have a particularly fast bike, nor am I a particularly skilled rider.
I would honestly be interested to hear about your ride on an Indian. Hopefully some day I can test ride one.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:30:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
812 pounds and 18,000 dollars.  Wow
View Quote

Not too bad.  An equivalent HD would run about $28,000.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 11:41:32 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted: I've been stuck behind a great many cruisers on my twisting winding road to and from the nearest city. I have talked to guys that complained about how under powered their Goldwing's were as well. I've also seen more than one cruiser go over the center line in corners because they aren't made for it. Usually cruisers pull over and let me pass, and I don't have a particularly fast bike, nor am I a particularly skilled rider. .
View Quote

But you admit it, which is something a lot of riders won't do.
Gwings underpowered?  Crossing center lines becasue it's teh bike's fault?  Those are all excuses to cover up for lack of rider ability.

Youtube "Yellow Wolf".  He has a Gwing, and will put many sportbiker to shame in Deals Gap.  What's teh diference between him and the clog the road riders? Throttle control, body positioning, correct lines, and teh ability to learn.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 11:56:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lol.

That's Can Am.

It's from the same company who gave us this.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 12:00:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really.

Different engine, trans, ECU, ABS module, frame.

They are also Polaris's first "fly-by-wire" motorcycle, too. It uses the same Bosh Electronic throttle body as just about everybody else in the industry.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 12:01:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
We did the assembly line for them.
View Quote

Our company does the EOL tester, and the diagnostic software for them.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 12:07:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Yours is not trying to be a POSER
muchless over priced outdated  BUTT JEWELRY

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Nice ride

Quoted:
I'm on the fence......not sure if I like them

At 18 Grand

You are  buying a NAME.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 12:10:16 PM EDT
[#45]
double tap
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 12:13:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Neva bin dun befo!
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 12:19:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
WSJ article on the   Indian Motorcycle.

Nice read and some nice pictures for those of us interested in motorcycles.

I’ve been reading the author for years and not sure he knows as much as he thinks he knows. Usually writes about cars, and once in a while about pickups.

Mike
View Quote

Not to hijack but are you a George MacDonald Fraser fan?

Maybe we need a Flashman thread?

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 12:28:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I'm ignorant of many things, it is true. I have never ridden an Indian. Have you been on one? I've been stuck behind a great many cruisers on my twisting winding road to and from the nearest city. I have talked to guys that complained about how under powered their Goldwing's were as well. I've also seen more than one cruiser go over the center line in corners because they aren't made for it. Usually cruisers pull over and let me pass, and I don't have a particularly fast bike, nor am I a particularly skilled rider.
I would honestly be interested to hear about your ride on an Indian. Hopefully some day I can test ride one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The indian dealer in Lincoln had the semi full of demos about a month ago.  They handled nice, twisties I don't know, it was Nebraska.  Power was better than any big Harley.   (Have not rode the Rushmore bikes). I had it up to 100 pretty quick and had to back off.   I think many who buy cruisers aren't worried about carving canyons, they are out taking it easy, enjoying the ride.  If a civic pulls up he'll get smoked.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:36:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

The indian dealer in Lincoln had the semi full of demos about a month ago.  They handled nice, twisties I don't know, it was Nebraska.  Power was better than any big Harley.   (Have not rode the Rushmore bikes). I had it up to 100 pretty quick and had to back off.   I think many who buy cruisers aren't worried about carving canyons, they are out taking it easy, enjoying the ride.  If a civic pulls up he'll get smoked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's pretty cool. I made my dad (from Iowa, a lot like Nebraska) watch "The World's Fastest Indian" with me last night because I kept thinking about the new bikes. I was a little bummed out after watching the video that reviewed the Indian Chief. The guy doing the video made it sound kind of weak and heavy. He said it made 75 HP, but didn't mention the torque. After some research, that seems like a pretty glaring omission. The Indian makes a crazy amount of torque. The 0-60 time is said to be 6 seconds. That's moving pretty fast. I have no doubt now that a Civic would be left in the dust. My post was based on information I got from that review. I always get a kick out of hearing opinions from real people that have been on machines that most of us have only read about, and report different findings. I don't doubt what you are saying a bit, especially after doing some more research. 119ft lbs of torque is a LOT of grunt.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:55:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Back in the day, H-D and Indian were race track badasses, and street shredding speed demons.

H-D got it's nuts cut off by the Brits, Indian went extinct, and then the Japs sodomized H-D until only Gay Pirates would be caught dead on the things.

Eric Buell tried to sneak some Testosterone therapy upon H-D's carcass, but he was rejected, by the now full on Nellie queen in fringe and assless chaps management.

If Indian is to make a dent, and earn it's place back, it MUST produce a Hooligan bike, and something to compete with the Japs in the sport/touring segment, and make a dent in the Jap dominated standard bike market.
H-D has the cruiser/poser market locked up, Victory and the Japs have everything left open in that segment, and the Japs own the tracks.

The last thing the market needs, is another 900lb 20k dollar retro cruiser/Gyno bike, no matter what it's name is, or how much chrome it wears.

I wish them well, and look forward to an updated Scout that will hold even with the Jap standards on price and performance, and let the market drive the evolution into a sport/touring platform.

I ain't holding my breath though.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top