Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/26/2013 1:52:12 PM EDT
Local Pizza joint already adds another $2.50 to delivery, how much more should I tip on a $40 order?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:53:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Likely the driver isn't seeing any of that, so maybe enough to cover the gas and wear/tear of vehicle?  I'd probably give $5.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:54:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Dick in a box is always the perfect gift.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:58:30 PM EDT
[#3]
On a $40 order I'd give about 6 or 7 bucks.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:01:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Here on arfcom I learned that the proper way to tip waiters and delivery drivers was not with cash, but with the tip of a buttstock.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:03:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I always tip about $3. Driver doesn't work any harder for a $13 order or $50
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:04:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Local Pizza joint already adds another $2.50 to delivery, how much more should I tip on a $40 order?
View Quote

The total amount of the pizza does NOT come into play, unless the dude is carrying like 30 boxes of pizza.
If they are charging 2-3 dollars for a delivery fee, 2 bucks + change to go up the 3 bullets.  If there were no
delivery fee, I'd tip up to $4.00 or so.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:04:10 PM EDT
[#7]
That annoys me. WTF is the delivery charge for if not the drivers? It's as bad as the managers taking half the tips at a coffee house. If I tipped the cute girl at the counter because she made me smile, I'm tipping her, not your fat ass sitting in the back office going over receipts and creamer orders. Fuck you. Give the delivery charge to the deliverers, or else just be honest and raise your prices. Fuckpockets.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:04:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Fiver for the driver.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:09:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fiver for the driver.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:11:38 PM EDT
[#10]
The delivery charge isn't for the driver, its for the increased fuel costs to get the ingredients to the store. Its a way for them to jack the prices on 90% of their orders without saying its a price increase.
Quoted:
View Quote

My wife handled an after-school competition which included buying $300 worth of pizzas and sodas, plus salad and spaghetti for the chaperones when it was at her school (two or three times a year). Every time she'd ask the principal for $10 for a tip (after prepaying the bill on the school's credit card), because she thought that was a big tip until I explained to her how much more difficult and time consuming a $300 order was for the guy.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:12:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The delivery charge isn't for the driver, its for the increased fuel costs to get the ingredients to the store. Its a way for them to jack the prices on 90% of their orders without saying its a price increase.

Kharn
View Quote

No it's not.  Ask how many drivers get a gas stipend or that delivery charge.  Around here---it's almost universally collected and kept by management/store owners.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:13:25 PM EDT
[#12]
When I order a single pizza on a $13 special and it ends up being $21 dollars by the time it gets to my door after tax and delivery fee, the most I ever give is $1. Sometimes $2.  I used to stiff 'em because I think the delivery fee should cover the delivery....because I'm being fucking fee'd for it.

I realize this isn't the drives fault, but its getting outrageous.

Eta: I wholeheartedly agree that I'd tip in the 3-5 range if there was no delivery fee.

Agreed that if a joint needs a "delivery fee" to cover costs, they just need to raise the price of the za.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:13:38 PM EDT
[#13]
25% of the total for delivery with a $5 minimum.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:14:31 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
No it's not.  Ask how many drivers get a gas stipend or that delivery charge.  Around here---it's almost universally collected and kept by management/store owners.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Kharn

I used to get $1 per delivery. $2 charge, mostly to compensate the owner for having an employee who wasn't in the restaurant, making pizzas, bussing tables, taking orders, cleaning the kitchen, or doing dishes.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:15:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn

Huh? Might wanna read that again.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:16:55 PM EDT
[#16]
at the local pizza hut i managed we had a 2.00 delivery charge, a dollar went to the company and a dollar went to the driver to "compensate for gas"

i tip depending on how much i spend. but usually $5 on two pizzas.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:17:08 PM EDT
[#17]
$5.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:18:03 PM EDT
[#18]
I always tip at least 5 bucks for the delivery driver.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:24:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I used to get $1 per delivery. $2 charge, mostly to compensate the owner for having an employee who wasn't in the restaurant, making pizzas, bussing tables, taking orders, cleaning the kitchen, or doing dishes.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn

That's stupid, the delivery driver is as important as the busboy or dishwasher. Why does the owner need to be compensated extra for that? Or are you saying that you'd get paid to do nothing if there were no deliveries, so the owner's cut went toward that?

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:30:10 PM EDT
[#20]
The driver does not get the delivery fee.  That pays for the car toppers.

I currently deliver pizza and I always tip $5.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:32:01 PM EDT
[#21]

I asked a local owner of a pizza joint why he didn't deliver.  He told me that the insurance cost on the drivers was insane.

That delivery fee charged by the pizza joint likely goes to cover that expense.  I doubt the driver sees any of it.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:35:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The driver does not get the delivery fee.  That pays for the car toppers.

I currently deliver pizza and I always tip $5.
View Quote

Lame. They don't have a surcharge for their website. They're a fucking pizza delivery business, you'd think that the little sign for cars is part of doing business.

Delivery charges are a lame upcharge that fucks the drivers out of larger tips. Just my non-delivery driver opinion.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:36:25 PM EDT
[#23]
When I worked at a Chinese restaurant, delivery charge was $3.00 per delivery.  I got $25.00 from the business for the entire night regardless of how busy it was.

The average tip before I left in the early summer was $2-$3.

A lot more no tippers than usual.

I was nice and prompt.  Sometimes it was slow if I was busy, but that wasn't my fault.  Most people understand.  Some just use it as an excuse for a reason not to give me a tip.

Minorities have a probability of 99.5% to NOT tip.

I got to keep the $25, all tips, and all delivery charges.  But a lot of wear and tear on the vehicle, and gas, too.

Technically we were not employed by the restaurant because we were not on the payroll.  I wonder what would have happened if someone was injured while delivering.  It never occurred.

A pizza place I was at years ago, a couple drivers were beat over the head with bricks by thugs in the ghetto and robbed.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:36:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I asked a local owner of a pizza joint why he didn't deliver.  He told me that the insurance cost on the drivers was insane.

That delivery fee charged by the pizza joint likely goes to cover that expense.  I doubt the driver sees any of it.

View Quote

Ok, that I would believe and can accept.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:37:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'll tip @ $8, places around my AO dont charge a delivery fee.
I don't want to come across a cheapskate and worry if the guy
adds special sauce on my next order!!
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:39:37 PM EDT
[#26]
$5, unless they're way late
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:41:21 PM EDT
[#27]
I always tip $5 on deliveries.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:41:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I order online and tip pretty well while ordering. A bit of a gamble, since you could tip $5 and have the guy show up and throw it on your doorstep and say "theorems your fucking pizza" and you already tipped. Pizza always gets here fast no. No wishing for tip-takebacks yet.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:49:03 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
That's stupid, the delivery driver is as important as the busboy or dishwasher. Why does the owner need to be compensated extra for that? Or are you saying that you'd get paid to do nothing if there were no deliveries, so the owner's cut went toward that?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kharn

Because almost nobody in the restaurant only does one thing. Delivery drivers, while they're out (which is most of the time), can't do shit inside the restaurant. They're expensive. It costs the owner more to deliver a pizza to your house, than it does to have you come pick it up. He doesn't need additional employees on the payroll, if you come pick it up. Hence, the charge to mitigate it, somewhat.

There's a pizza parlor here in town that's cash only (no checks, no credit cards), and no deliveries. They're packed every night. And if I'm honest, I don't think the pizza is all that.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:55:43 PM EDT
[#30]
I always tip the driver five bucks.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:07:32 PM EDT
[#31]
I live 2/3 mile from the place I get pizza from, so I just pick it up myself.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:12:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
That annoys me. WTF is the delivery charge for if not the drivers? It's as bad as the managers taking half the tips at a coffee house. If I tipped the cute girl at the counter because she made me smile, I'm tipping her, not your fat ass sitting in the back office going over receipts and creamer orders. Fuck you. Give the delivery charge to the deliverers, or else just be honest and raise your prices. Fuckpockets.

View Quote

Who owns and maintains the car?

The delivery fee is for the car, if it's owned by the store. If the driver provides the car; the store should not be charging a fee.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:12:42 PM EDT
[#33]
I tip $10.

I was a pizza driver as a teenager and that job sucks.  This was back in 1994 and I was18.

I once delivered to a guy who looked like single dad with 2 boys.  He answered the door dirty, so I assume he just got off work as some grease monkey somewhere.  He didn't have enough to pay for the pizza, the look on his face told me he thought he had enough and was actually a couple bucks short.  His little boys were excited to be getting pizza, so I just gave it to them and covered the rest with my tip money.

A few weeks ago I ordered Pizza Hut and when the driver came (he's a regular), I tipped him $10.  You would of thought I gave the guy a $100.  He was very grateful and appreciative.  He kept thanking me and I wanted to eat the pizza already.

If I can give a little extra to someone who is at least trying, and thankful for that, its cool.

I would probably waste that $10 on some stupid shit anyway.  He could probably use it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:25:47 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View Quote

Same
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:35:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Same
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same

Might have to drive further though.

I just think about burning gas.  But $3 should be enough to more than cover gas plus some extra... But I only order from the same 2 places, and they have computer records based on my phone #, and they can make notes on it (Like which building entrance to go to, and what not) So I tip $5 for a lil piece of mind!!!
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:41:20 PM EDT
[#36]
usually 5 bucks or so, more if its a chick and shes hot.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:44:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Fiver for the driver.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:44:29 PM EDT
[#38]
My daughter dated a guy who delivers Chinese food for a living.  They would give him 30 bucks a day plus whatever tips he made, and the loser is still doing that job 6 years later.  Thank god my daughter isn't dating him anymore.  But some of those guys depend on tips to survive.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:48:40 PM EDT
[#39]
My personal rules for tipping food services...

Restaurant waiter gets ten bucks regardless of total. Once bill goes over 50 bucks they get twenty percent.

Delivery guy gets 5-6 bucks. I never get more than one pie.

The bigger tip really doesnt have much of an impact on me at all. Ive worked in food service, most people suck. The bigger tip puts people in a better mood.

People that tip under 4 dollars for restaurants or delivery guys, as far as im cOncerned, they suck.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:52:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Never invite the pizza man into your life.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:53:26 PM EDT
[#41]
$1.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:55:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah they do.  Carrying all the shit the comes with a $50 order is a pain in the ass.

A couple pizzas is easy, put them in the bag and go.  Several pizzas, wings, a couple bottles of Coke.. massive pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:56:54 PM EDT
[#43]
I delivered pizzas as a teenager.  I used a company car with company gas.  The delivery fee went to the fuel in the cars ect.  Tips went straight in my pocket and I was making more than minimum wage.

I tip them what ever the change is for the pizza and normally a buck over.  It also depends on if it is anywhere near the time they said it was going to be and if the driver is hurrying.

When the driver runs up to the house and doesn't make small talk they get a better tip because I believe they are doing that at every house and getting my pizza to me faster.  I know there are other pizza shops out there that have the drivers in there own car but they are generally paid extra per mile.  

It is waitresses at diners and bars that deserve tips because much of the income is based off of tips and they do not make minimum wage.

(I am talking about godfathers pizza)
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:59:19 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

When I order a single pizza on a $13 special and it ends up being $21 dollars by the time it gets to my door after tax and delivery fee, the most I ever give is $1. Sometimes $2.  I used to stiff 'em because I think the delivery fee should cover the delivery....because I'm being fucking fee'd for it.

Eta: I wholeheartedly agree that I'd tip in the 3-5 range if there was no delivery fee.

Agreed that if a joint needs a "delivery fee" to cover costs, they just need to raise the price of the za.
View Quote
I just pick em up now, $10 pizza is $10.69 out the door.  sorry delivery guys, you priced yourself out of my market.  

If i'm really lazy I'll tip 4-5 depending how prompt they are.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:07:50 PM EDT
[#45]
As is always the case when I tip, the amount depends on the hotness of the waitress or delivery driver.  If it is a waiter or male delivery driver, I just double the tax, which would bring the tip to around 18%
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:10:46 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

I just pick em up now, $10 pizza is $10.69 out the door.  sorry delivery guys, you priced yourself out of my market.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

same here, i always go pick it up. have never paid for delivery. I can order, go get it, come back and eat, faster than i can even get delivery so fuck that

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:19:54 PM EDT
[#47]
I ignore delivery charges. They're minimal, and prevent the poor guy from starving (if he ever sees them) due to cheap bastards.

I tip generously, in cash.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:21:27 PM EDT
[#48]
I don't tip, I like my money and feel no obligation to give it away.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:21:42 PM EDT
[#49]
I check the pizza before I tip,

If it's cold, or suffering from excess acceleration, or took too long, the tip is $0.

If it's hot, not distorted, and got to me fast, I'll tip $5, or maybe more to round up the tab.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:24:20 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I don't tip, I like my money and feel no obligation to give it away.
View Quote

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top