Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/26/2013 10:00:41 AM EDT
Bought a Colt 6920 MagPul at WalMart just for the hell of it, was thinking about ripping it apart, getting it professionally cerakoted and loading it down with shit I will more then likely never need.

Would it be better long term value wise to allow this rifle to collect dust in its current configuration or customize it?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 10:02:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I would say a untouched rifle would hold its value

But I believe in making it to the way you like don't worry about resell
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 10:03:10 AM EDT
[#2]
throw it down the driveway and call it good
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 10:11:10 AM EDT
[#3]
NIB is probably the best way to hold value.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 10:20:45 AM EDT
[#4]
OP - I Bought one a couple months back for 1100 bucks OTD.

I am holding on to it, the box, all of the pubs that came with it, and the still packaged PMAG until some douche sends everyone on a frenzy again.

Then I'm going to double or maybe even triple my investment.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 10:30:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I am holding on to it, the box, all of the pubs that came with it, and the still packaged PMAG until some douche sends everyone on a frenzy again.

View Quote

In the eyes of the BATFE that would classify you as an unlicensed dealer
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 10:35:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would it?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 10:38:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Make sure you keep the box.  Colt boxes are the most valuable pieces of cardboard in the world.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 10:38:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Would it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would it?

The way I understand it, if you purchase it with the sole intent of resale, you are dealing in firearms without a license.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 10:40:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The way I understand it, if you purchase it with the sole intent of resale, you are dealing in firearms without a license.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would it?

That's how I understand it also, and in his post he said he bought the gun for that reason.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 10:42:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

But you've shot it a few times I'm sure
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 10:58:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would it?

It's a grey area large enough to drive a truck through (which is on purpose).

Find the ATF definition of a dealer. Is there any difference between this and buying a new Colt SAA as an investment? Both are bought with the intention of (non immediate) monetary gains in the future.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 10:59:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Find the ATF definition of a dealer. Is there any difference between this and buying a new Colt SAA as an investment? Both are bought with the intention of (non immediate) monetary gains in the future.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would it?

Exactly. Literally nobody (in power to do anything about it) gives two shits if you buy a few guns to leave in your safe to sell later.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 11:10:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That's how I understand it also, and in his post he said he bought the gun for that reason.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would it?

Re read my post, I sure didn't say that.

It wasn't until I got home that I decided I would hold on to it and re sell it, possibly, in the future.

At the time of purchase, the intent was to purchase a nice Colt Carbine for a reasonable price.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 11:33:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Make sure you keep the box.  Colt boxes are the most valuable pieces of cardboard in the world.
View Quote

Don't forget the birth bag

OP-keep the original box, birth bag, and the plastic bag with the mags, cleaning kit, manual etc.

You can see when your rifle was made by looking on the birth bag:

If you aren't going to keep the rifle NIB, it will hold its value better if it is revertible back to stock. A couple years ago my local FFL was blowing them out for a little over a grand, so I tried to buy two per month whenever possible. While I didn't buy them for investment purposes, I now that have...plenty...of them.

With only a few exceptions, most of my rifles (Colt or otherwise) are revertible back to stock.

You get the idea...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top