Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/26/2013 7:03:14 AM EDT
I about two years ago met one on a social networking site and to this day, over time, as an experiment, I slowly offered up myself for evaluation and every time she is completely off.

I can't imagine anyone paying money for this service. Or anyone taking one persons opinion "With this Degree" as official.

Do I know if she is really a Psychologist? Not really, but I have asked questions over time (not so much Google able) that I feel she at least studied it. The response time of Skype has limits to Google searches

Am I a psychologist? No.

I suppose I just don't understand the thought of people that sit through classes, answer tests that someone asks and memorize the answers without thought behind it,  can define someone else.

This is a one sample from the internet of a senior in college observation, so probably not worth much, but still.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:03:59 AM EDT
[#1]
At least equal to chiropractors.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:06:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Before we can get into that I'd like to hear about your relationship with your mother.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:07:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I have no use for them.
A person would have to be crazy to see a shrink.....
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:07:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah I have another thread-to-be-made on that one...
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:14:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Meh, whatever.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:16:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I think a cigar is just a cigar.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:17:33 AM EDT
[#7]
What type of psychologist? Do you mean psychologist or psychiatrist?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:21:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Hell, even witch doctors occasionally get lucky with their cures...
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:23:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Well she is studying Psychology, emphasis, Child Psychology.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:26:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Psychiatrists are medical doctors that specialize in mental health. They can write prescriptions and are licensed MDs.

Psychologists, while some may have PHDs, are not medical doctors and are not licensed MDs.

Both can be helpful in the right circumstance.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:28:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Psychiatrists are medical doctors that specialize in mental health. They can write prescriptions and are licensed MDs.

Psychologists, while some may have PHDs, are not medical doctors and are not licensed MDs.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't know the difference. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:33:57 AM EDT
[#12]
the ones in private practice? loonies. i've heard that as part of being a shrink you need to have a shrink of your own.

research psychologists? now that's a different ballgame entirely.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:35:58 AM EDT
[#13]
I've got a motorcycle......no need for a psychiatrist.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:39:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
the ones in private practice? loonies. i've heard that as part of being a shrink you need to have a shrink of your own.

research psychologists? now that's a different ballgame entirely.
View Quote

I would tend to agree.

Were I in need of mental health counseling ( my wife may argue I am), I would see a psychiatrist.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:40:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Before we can get into that I'd like to hear about your relationship with your mother.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:41:08 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I've got a motorcycle......no need for a psychiatrist.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:44:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This^^^^^^
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:44:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Experimental psychology or therapy / clinical psychology? There's a lot of bs in both.

Psychology is a huge field encompassing everything from neuroscience to social psychology.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:47:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Sometimes a psychologist is just a psychologist.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:51:01 AM EDT
[#20]
It's BS.
Many have acknowledged that they don't even have cures for the disorders they prescribe people drugs for.
Disorders are just voted into the DSM by a committee.  Like internet addiction disorder ...

ETA: I guess we're all fucked now..
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:51:32 AM EDT
[#21]
...just like anything else- give a psychology degree to a right-thinking person and you get right-thinking results.  Give one to a leftist and you get selfish manipulation and bullshit.

The big problem is that in recent years leftists have overrun the psych programs at major universities and they now exclude right-thinking people with litmus tests.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:54:43 AM EDT
[#22]
All women are crazy.  The crazier ones want to analyze this disfunction because they think they know everything since they've experienced it.  Complete waste of time & money if you follow logic.  NEVER date or marry a woman studying this field because they are likely going to run up debt and try to stick you with it while trying to play that they are so much smarter than you (because they can read books).

So, what are your thoughts?  How does this make you feel?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:57:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It's BS.
Many have acknowledged that they don't even have cures for the disorders they prescribe people drugs for.
Disorders are just voted into the DSM by a committee.  Like internet addiction disorder ...

View Quote

Generally psychologists do not prescribe drugs, psychiatrists do.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:57:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
...just like anything else- give a psychology degree to a right-thinking person and you get right-thinking results.  Give one to a leftist and you get selfish manipulation and bullshit.

The big problem is that in recent years leftists have overrun the psych programs at major universities and they now exclude right-thinking people with litmus tests.

View Quote

This. I am a graduate student in Legal Psychology, and 99% of the people here are left-wing loonies. It's a very lonely place for someone like myself, and it's frustrating being inundated with propaganda in and out of class.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:00:21 AM EDT
[#25]
I am a "Psychologist".  The field is so broad that the term is almost meaningless but what most people think of when they hear "Psychologist" is a PhD level clinical, counseling or school psychologist who is licensed by their state as a mental health provider.  None of those describes me.  Those PhD programs are just as competitive or even more competitive than medical school admission.  

If your friend is a college student she almost certainly is not a psychologist.  She may be a grad student which might give here some credibility but if she's working on a Bachelors in psychology.......

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:01:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's BS.

Noted.
Wasn't referring to just them. There have been 7-10 references to psychiatrists so far in the thread.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:08:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

This. I am a graduate student in Legal Psychology, and 99% of the people here are left-wing loonies. It's a very lonely place for someone like myself, and it's frustrating being inundated with propaganda in and out of class.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I was in graduate school I shared a lot of curriculum with the clinical and counseling psychology students.  Those are two distinct fields with one being in the Arts & Sciences division and the other in the Education division.  Both lead to eligibility to take the state test for licensure.  What I found fascinating was the distinct differences between the students in each program.  Clinical psychology follows a model that closely resembles the medical model.  Evaluate, diagnose and treat.   Counseling psychology follows a more holistic model that emphasizes counseling, building on client's strengths, etc...    I'm painting with a very broad brush because there is a huge amount of overlap between the two but there is a distinct difference in emphasis.  The clinical students were all button-down, preppy, over-achievers who would fit right in to corporate America.  The counseling students were the biggest group of misfits I've ever seen.  One spent a year following The Grateful Dead around the country and supported himself by selling grilled cheese sandwiches out of his trunk, one was a finalist for the Olympic cycling team, one was a former prison guard, and forget the backgrounds of the others.  These were the type of people who would fit right in to any hippy-style, counter-cultural gathering you could find.  

Also, the licensed psychologists have been fighting for years for the right to prescribe psychiatric medications.  I think that is just absolutely nuts.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:09:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's the way people who need psychiatric drugs should go.  Sadly, MDs have been given a green-light by the FDA to throw anti-depressants at people too.

+1 Get a good psychiatrist, they've got 12 years of higher ed and will monitor someone properly to get them started on meds.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:10:53 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I about two years ago met one on a social networking site and to this day, over time, as an experiment, I slowly offered up myself for evaluation and every time she is completely off.

View Quote

I think the technical term for this is "lack of insight"

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:22:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Antidepressant Warnings:

There have been 99 drug regulatory agency warnings from ten countries (United States, United Kingdom, Canada, Japan, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, Russia, Italy and Germany) and the European Union warning that antidepressant drugs cause side effects. These include the following (note that some warnings cite more than one side effect, so the list below may not be equal to the total number of warnings):

35 warnings on antidepressants causing suicide/risk/attempts
17 warnings on antidepressants causing birth defects
8 warnings on antidepressants causing self-harm
6 warnings on antidepressants causing anxiety
5 warnings on antidepressants causing withdrawal symptoms
4 warnings on antidepressants causing death
4 warnings on antidepressants causing mania or psychosis
4 warnings on antidepressants causing hallucinations or delusional thinking
3 warnings on antidepressants causing depression
2 warnings on antidepressants causing sexual dysfunction
1 warning on antidepressants causing homicidal ideation

Source cchrint.org
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:34:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I am a "Psychologist".  The field is so broad that the term is almost meaningless but what most people think of when they hear "Psychologist" is a PhD level clinical, counseling or school psychologist who is licensed by their state as a mental health provider.  None of those describes me.  Those PhD programs are just as competitive or even more competitive than medical school admission.  
View Quote

i find that hard to believe. is this anecdotal evidence or a well-established pattern?

or do you mean 'competitive' more as a reflection of volume rather than quality of candidates?

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:34:27 AM EDT
[#32]
I kind of work in the mental health field, so I deal with psychologists and psychiatrists all the time. In my experience, dealing with mental health issues is a craps shoot. It's not like an MD diagnosing strep throat. 5 different psych doctors can look at the same patient and symptoms and come up with 5 different diagnoses. And really all they can do is throw different meds and or therapies at them until they find something that works.

So yeah. They can do some good, but there's no guarantees. Some people just need meds.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:34:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Antidepressant Warnings:

There have been 99 drug regulatory agency warnings from ten countries (United States, United Kingdom, Canada, Japan, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, Russia, Italy and Germany) and the European Union warning that antidepressant drugs cause side effects. These include the following (note that some warnings cite more than one side effect, so the list below may not be equal to the total number of warnings):

Source cchrint.org
View Quote

did adam kokesh put you up to posting that?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:36:58 AM EDT
[#34]

I had a friend whose wife was going for her doctorate in psychology ask me if she could use me as her doctoral thesis.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:39:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Antidepressant Warnings:

Source cchrint.org
View Quote

Well...considering the OP asked about Psychologists (who are not Medical Doctors and can't prescribe those medications), your post doesn't help very much, does it?

To answer the OP.  (My bachelors is a double major in Biology and Psychology)....Psychology can be helpful to people to talk out their problems, identify aberrant behaviors they may not recognize, etc....they can't treat medically (antidepressants, psychoactive medications, etc.), but I'm a big believer that anti-depressants are over-utilized (full disclosure, I'm a Podiatrist..."Doctor of Podiatric Medicine"..and don't actively treat those problems, so this is personal belief, not professional opinion).    A lot of people on anti-depressants would probably benefit from talk therapy rather than pills...BUT...there are a significant people that need both to get 'better'.     Goes for a lot of the modern 'mental health' issues.    

AFARR
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:40:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Once I found the right one they helped me tremendously at a very low point in my life.

The right one does not pigeon hole you - instead they guide and offer advice on how to handle what is fucking your life up but leave the decision and journey to you.

And how do you know she is not correct on your character assessment from what she sees on the outside?

But if you need one go see a three or four if you can. It really does make all the difference in finding one you can trust.

I knew I found mine when we started talking and I tried the bad language route and her response was "Nothing fucking shocks me so be a dick all you want" and then (CT being so anti-gun) I said I carried all the time and she replies "I usually have my XDs on me - what do you carry?" Been with her a year and she told me last month that she wants to start an exit strategy as I am now OK and centered which made me feel good (and I am OK and centered now)
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:02:43 AM EDT
[#37]
They're all crazy.  They enter that field because they want to know what's wrong with themselves.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:05:13 AM EDT
[#38]
Bartenders are better but usually busy.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:09:30 AM EDT
[#39]
There is a difference between a psychologist, and a psychiatrist.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:09:52 AM EDT
[#40]
I believe in Psychology and Psychiatry but I've met two Psychologists whose only reason for
seeing clients was to have a population to draw their cult followers from.

One was at the VA.  I heard him say that most of his PTSD Viet Nam Vets would
"kill for him".   He was proud of it.  

If a person is going to see a shrink, listen to the above poster who said to see
several before making a choice on who to trust.  
They usually will give you the first session free.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:24:29 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I can't imagine anyone paying money for this service. Or anyone taking one persons opinion "With this Degree" as official.

Do I know if she is really a Psychologist? Not really, but I have asked questions over time (not so much Google able) that I feel she at least studied it. The response time of Skype has limits to Google searches

Am I a psychologist? No.

I suppose I just don't understand the thought of people that sit through classes, answer tests that someone asks and memorize the answers without thought behind it,  can define someone else.

This is a one sample from the internet of a senior in college observation, so probably not worth much, but still.
View Quote

So how does that make you feel?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:31:03 AM EDT
[#42]
My wife is a psychologist it is weird how well she can analyze a person and how correct she is most of the time...

She is not liberal and disagrees with how the field as a whole coddles people...
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:33:21 AM EDT
[#43]

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 10:05:57 AM EDT
[#44]
Dislike.

I dislike the DSM too.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 10:19:27 AM EDT
[#45]
I enjoy talking to one.

An objective opinion completely disconnected from your life otherwise is a valuable thing. I think that most people could benefit from them, provided they allow themselves to be honest and open to criticism, which of course most people are not.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 10:22:08 AM EDT
[#46]
Thought Rapists.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 10:32:08 AM EDT
[#47]
ask scientology:

(know psychologist <> psychiatrist)
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 10:32:40 AM EDT
[#48]
Who has been the most important person in your life? Can you tell me about him or her?
What was the happiest moment of your life? The saddest?
Who has been the biggest influence on your life? What lessons did that person teach you?
Who has been the kindest to you in your life?
What are the most important lessons you’ve learned in life?
What is your earliest memory?
What is your favorite memory of me?
What are the funniest or most embarrassing stories your family tells about you?
If you could hold on to just one memory from your life forever, what would that be?
If this was to be our very last conversation, what words of wisdom would you want to pass on to me?
What are you proudest of in your life?
When in life have you felt most alone?
What are your hopes and dreams for what the future holds for me? For my children?
How has your life been different than what you’d imagined?
How would you like to be remembered?
Do you have any regrets?
What does your future hold?
Is there anything that you’ve never told me but want to tell me now?
Is there something about me that you’ve always wanted to know but have never asked?
Is there any message you want to give to or anything you want to say to your great-great-great grandchildren when they listen to this?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 10:45:44 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From what little I've seen, and from what little I've heard from people in the industry, it seems like both specialties often have the old, "when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail" issue.

Psychiatrists lean towards everything being a medication issue, Psychologists think everything can be talked out.

Maybe that's all nonsense, but it's something I keep hearing.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:23:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

get out commie

here in GD we hate everything on the basis of one superficial impression

knowledge is for the weak
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top