Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 12
Posted: 10/26/2013 4:34:40 AM EDT
This CNN comedian/political hack claims that the confederate flag was a flag of traitors and racist and makes a small connection to the Tea Party. I really can't stand the government sponsored media.

link
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:36:22 AM EDT
[#1]
<popcorn.gif>
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:37:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Why would I give a flying fuck what CNN thinks or says?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:37:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I believe that if it really was a flag for traitors and racists CNN would fly it over their headquarters.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:37:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I personally think CNN and MSNBC are TV networks of traitors that work for the present dictator making a feeble attempt to govern the people of the United States.......
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:38:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:38:12 AM EDT
[#6]
American by birth

Southern by the Grace of G-d.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:38:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
<popcorn.gif>
View Quote

This, I will be out for a few hours and I predict several pages of consternation by the time I get back....
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:39:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
We have many here who say the same thing, and believe the War of Northern Aggression was fought for the sole purpose freeing the slaves.
View Quote

That's what they're taught in schools.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:40:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:40:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
We have many here who say the same thing, and believe the War of Northern Aggression was fought for the sole purpose freeing the slaves.
View Quote

Sadly.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:40:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I bet those folks went to Yankee government schools.

From Lincoln:

"If there be those who would not save the Union, unless they could at the same time save slavery, I do not agree with them. If there be those who would not save the Union unless they could at the same time destroy slavery, I do not agree with them. My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union. I shall do less whenever I shall believe what I am doing hurts the cause, and I shall do more whenever I shall believe doing more will help the cause."

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:40:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:45:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

From Lincoln:

"If there be those who would not save the Union, unless they could at the same time save slavery, I do not agree with them. If there be those who would not save the Union unless they could at the same time destroy slavery, I do not agree with them. My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union. I shall do less whenever I shall believe what I am doing hurts the cause, and I shall do more whenever I shall believe doing more will help the cause."
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From Lincoln:

Whoa, whoa, WHOA DAMMIT!!!

We can't be confusing people with facts here, dude!

Didn't you know that the victors get to re-write the history books? Democrats freed the slaves!

(theghostofanunreconstructedhun)

RIP, Dwayne...I really miss you when the North v. South threads pop up every Saturday.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:45:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Maybe we should dig up all the Confederate soldier's bodies, too.  Maybe we should have hanged any one south of the Mason-Dixon for treasonous acts such as levying war against the US and providing aid and comfort to the enemy.  That'll teach 'em!

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:45:45 AM EDT
[#15]
They were. As were the soldiers who fought for independence from Great Britain 90 years earlier.

One man's traitor is another man's patriot. Just depends on who wins the war.

Had the South won, history would no doubt have a different take on their struggle to liberate themselves from the North's oppressive economic restrictions or something similar.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:46:24 AM EDT
[#16]
WWWTSD?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:46:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:47:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Fuck Lincoln.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:47:49 AM EDT
[#19]

i do enjoy grits though....  

We are ALL AMERICANS!

i have no hate towards anyone, north, south, east, west
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:48:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
This CNN comedian/political hack claims that the confederate flag was a flag of traitors and racist and makes a small connection to the Tea Party. I really can't stand the government sponsored media.

link
View Quote

Well, I've got a couple of comments here.
  First of all, CNN is not "the government sponsored media". It is a private corporation, started by Ted Turner, and even though it has a decidely liberal platform, it is in no way connected with any branch of the US Government. Maybe you're thinking of PBS or NPR.
  Secondly, the author of that piece needs to learn a little bit more about the flag that he so fervently despises. The generally-accepted and frequently seen "confederate flag" that the CNN comentator refers to as the "battle flag of the Army of Northern Virginia" is actually the Confederate Naval Jack. The battle flag was square, not oblong, and had a narrow white border. It came in different sizes for different types of units. The cavalry used one that was 28 inches square. The artillery used a 32 inch square flag, and the infantry used one that was 36 inches square.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:48:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Weird.  I've read most of the civil war threats and I've never seen anybody write that "<blathering traitor talk> was for for the sole purpose of freeing the slaves"

I don't run around with a Union Jack to celebrate my ancestors' service to the Royal Army that was a lot more recent than those who fly the flag of the people who were born as US citizens then fought against their fellow citizens and had their slaves freed against their will....but are not to be confused with people who were traitors to their country because owning human beings and their children was that important to them than the United States of America....
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:49:12 AM EDT
[#22]
NORTH VS SOUTH GO GO!
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:49:47 AM EDT
[#23]
I refuse to listen to or watch the Clinton news network..
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:50:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
They were. As were the soldiers who fought for independence from Great Britain 90 years earlier.

One man's traitor is another man's patriot. Just depends on who wins the war.

Had the South won, history would no doubt have a different take on their struggle to liberate themselves from the North's oppressive economic restrictions or something similar.
View Quote

Yup...our ancestors were traitors to England....who cares. Confederates were traitors to the us government...it didn't work out...I don't think many people really hate them for it today. And EVERYONE was racist back then.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:51:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
By that logic, the American flag is also a flag of traitors. It comes down to whether you believe that breaking off and establishing your own country is treason.
View Quote

Yep, this.

Fuck that guy Dean whatshisfuckingname.

LC
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:51:20 AM EDT
[#26]
This Yankee say Fuck CNN.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:53:23 AM EDT
[#27]

losing the war was a good thing for the south

http://www.amazon.com/Bitterly-Divided-Souths-Inner-Civil/dp/1595584757

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:54:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
NORTH VS SOUTH GO GO!
View Quote

I had ancestors on both sides. Born in the South, moved up here, had people from Missouri and Kentucky, others whose line came over with William Penn and owned a massive piece of Bucks County.

Anyone who thinks it was about something as simple as slavery needs to be beaten with an uncensored history book, then made to read it. And anyone who denigrates that flag that way is just un-American.

Which sums up CNN pretty well.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:54:31 AM EDT
[#29]
The Confederate flag is just a symbol of defiance against north eastern liberal elitism.  
This was confirmed by my great teacher, Yoda.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:54:54 AM EDT
[#30]

This is why I can't work up too much of a give a fuck  when Northeners,  and New Yorkers In particular, whine about their oppressive state governments, high taxation,  and their loss of their ability to excercise their gun rights.

Oh.....and there's also that 13er thing as well.

Enjoy living under the boot.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:55:12 AM EDT
[#31]
States rights.

Nothing to do with slavery.

Lincoln was the traitor.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:55:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

link
View Quote

This statement has nothing to do with any flag, ever:  I believe CNN can ram their reporting right up their ass.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:56:25 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View Quote

In Georgia, I had to argue this fact with history teachers in highschool. College American History professor had it down though, you should have seen some of the shocked faces from classmates when they heard it wasn't about slaves
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:56:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The Confederate flag is just a symbol of defiance against north eastern liberal elitism.  
This was confirmed by my great teacher, Yoda.
View Quote

"Have another toke.

And keep on loading up those low cap magazines."

~ Darth Vader~

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:59:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I believe that if it really was a flag for traitors and racists CNN would fly it over their headquarters.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:00:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Oh hell why not , IN ON ONE!

The Civil War wasn't about slavery
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:02:57 AM EDT
[#37]
CNN is trolling.  Bring back "racism" to the national debate when Zero's signature accomplishment is imploding on rollout?  Obvious to the extent that it's laughable.

Different point:

Since this will inevitably devolve into a fuck Lincoln confederate circle jerk before page 3...., I'll just get this in now:   Those Southerners who sanctify the Confederates to the extent where they will not allow for the fact that there were "some" (at least) honorable and courageous men fighting in the United States Army from 1861-65 are beneath contempt.  There were honorable, and dare I say it, brave men fighting for the Union.  I understand that you honor your heritage, but I also honor mine.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:05:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:05:41 AM EDT
[#39]
If that occupies their precious superior moral minds and keeps them from spouting falsehoods about guns and the need for gun control ,
Then bless their bleeding hearts . They have taken the high road and we in the south are left with that evil flag to bear witness to a sacrifice made .
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:06:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Forget all the other augments; the South did not wish to impose their will on the North, they just wanted to leave! I am a proud American, I despise slavery and think it is the cause of all our troubles today will contribute majorly to the downfall of the USA. I'm very proud to be from the south.

PS: The unpleasantness of 1861-1865 was not a civil war and was not all about slavery!
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:08:21 AM EDT
[#41]
I'll refrain from comment except to say thank you to VA gunnuts first comment and thank you to the poster who made the correction about the flag.
With that I will enjoy the ride on this one.

Aw hell, I can't resist:

FUCK A BUNCH OF YANKEES!

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:08:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:08:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Libs never know what this one is....

for example a bleeding heart lib asked me why I had a british flag on my Jeep once..... "I like England was my answer"

ETA: I live on the northern flank of a battlefield and hopefully will be participating in the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Franklin next year.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:08:59 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

States rights.

View Quote

Nothing to do with slavery.

Lincoln was the traitor.

Perhaps you should read the Articles of Secession of your own state as well as the others in the Confederacy.

If you want to argue states' rights, fine.  Dont be naive enough to say it had nothing to do with slavery

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:09:38 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

I'll refrain from comment except to say thank you to VA gunnuts first comment and thank you to the poster who made the correction about the flag.

With that I will enjoy the ride on this one.
Aw hell, I can't resist:

FUCK A BUNCH OF YANKEES!

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:09:42 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Why would I give a flying fuck what CNN thinks or says?
View Quote

Agree. Who cares what Communists News Nitwits say.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:10:00 AM EDT
[#47]
oh boy, in to see where this shitstorm goes
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:10:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Yep, this.

LC
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
By that logic, the American flag is also a flag of traitors. It comes down to whether you believe that breaking off and establishing your own country is treason.

Yep, this.

LC

X2.........  fuck "Mr" Obeidallah
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:10:23 AM EDT
[#49]
While technically true that the Civil War was fought over "states' rights," those making that argument tend to omit the part about slavery being the most important right the southern states were fighting to preserve.

They weren't fighting over gay marriage, abortion rights or concealed carry restrictions.

You can package it up however you want, but it was indeed about slavery.

(For the record, I'm southern-born and southern-raised.)
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:10:53 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Forget all the other augments; the South did not wish to impose their will on the North, they just wanted to leave! I am a proud American, I despise slavery and think it is the cause of all our troubles today will contribute majorly to the downfall of the USA. I'm very proud to be from the south.

PS: The unpleasantness of 1861-1865 was not a civil war and was not all about slavery!
View Quote

Absolutely correct. A civil war is one in which the two sides are fighting for control of the central government. This was not the case in the War for Southern Independence. All the south wanted was to be left alone.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top