Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/26/2013 1:08:26 AM EDT
Recommendations for a new phone?

I can no longer take pictures, it is bogging down when on the internet, the latest upgrade has slowed my phone down to the point that I can hardly open any apps before I lose patience and shut it down.

So anyway, the need for a new phone is here.  Recommendations?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:09:25 AM EDT
[#1]
iPhone 5s. Trust me. Have I ever steered you wrong?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:12:28 AM EDT
[#2]
The Nexus 5 which should be out by the end of the month.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:12:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Is it that much better?  

I really like my iphone4, sucks that it no longer works.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:14:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Is it that much better?  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it that much better?  

Yeah, dude. I had a 4 until I upgraded to the 5s. It's a huge leap forward. I'm about to crash, but I can tell you more about it tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:14:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yeah, dude. I had a 4 until I upgraded to the 5s. It's a huge leap forward. I'm about to crash, but I can tell you more about it tomorrow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it that much better?  

Right on, thanks man.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:07:51 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a regular 5 and feel it is faster than my wife's 4s
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:22:53 AM EDT
[#7]
There's always android.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:27:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Is it that much better?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it that much better?  

I am rocking the iPhone 4 with the new update and it's even faster. Remove pictures, delete you apps that you don't use, close the unused apps.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:32:56 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Is it that much better?  

View Quote
My dad is still trying to use an iPhone 3G It's already been repaired once(was originally my phone, had to replace the glass and reconnect the ribbon cable for the camera shortly after he started using it), and now the camera has died again and it is nearly unusable. The 4 is still a good phone(if it is working, and if you plan on repairing it you better be good with itsy-bitsy electronics), but if you can do so a 5S is a good choice. I skip the S models since I don't get the upgrade price on them.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:40:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
There's always android.
View Quote

I love android.  However, if you are tied to the Apple universe (iTunes, movies purchased for an apple tv, ibooks bought, whatever), you should stick with the iPhone.

If you don't like to learn a new phone, stick with iPhone.

If you don't mind learning something new, and you only have music purchased through apple, consider an android phone.  I run a tiny google music program in the background on my home machine.  It uploads all music from your itunes library to the cloud.  I stream it over bluetooth to the car while driving.  If I search for something in Chrome (Bubba's Archery supply), and go to my google now screen, voila, the directions are there.  If I take a picture with my phone, a full resolution copy is uploaded to my google drive (If I drop my phone in the ocean, I will not lose any of my pictures.)  

Someone already mentioned the Nexus 5.  The Nexus line is "pure android", without any bloatware, dumb carrier-added apps. So, if you like having the same appearance/software on your phone, this might be the way to go if you were going to make the transition.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:46:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
There's always android.
View Quote

There are so many different android based phones I don't know which one to look at.  Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:53:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Do you tinker or like customization and want to learn something new? Android

Are you already accustomed to iTunes and iPods/iPhones?  Go Apple.

On another note, whatcha drinking?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:05:13 AM EDT
[#13]
I was an android guy for years.
This past month I had some real shitty luck and broke 2 Galaxy S4 phones.
I liked the big screen but it is just too big for my active lifestyle so I ordered an IPhone.
I need to pick it up today so I will see if I like it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:06:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Recommendations for a new phone?

I can no longer take pictures, it is bogging down when on the internet, the latest upgrade has slowed my phone down to the point that I can hardly open any apps before I lose patience and shut it down.

So anyway, the need for a new phone is here.  Recommendations?
View Quote

Try backing up your data and then performing a restore (as new phone) through iTunes.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:13:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

There are so many different android based phones I don't know which one to look at.  Any recommendations?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There's always android.

Depends on your wants and needs.

- Pure Google experience:  Nexus 5 (should be out in a few weeks).  If you have Verizon, you will likely not be able to use a Nexus phone (this is what I would own if I wasn't stuck on Verizon due to coverage).
- Best build quality and awesome speakers:  HTC One (this is the phone I currently own...it's been awesome).
- Most whiz-bang gadgets:  Samsung Galaxy S4 (wife has this one, and it's been great for her so far).
- Big-Ass phone that doubles as a tablet:  Samsung Note 3
- Good compromise of all of the above, with an interesting button layout:  LG G2
- Awesome features, the best radios, near stock Android, and assembled in the US:  Motorola X (this is what I was going to buy until I got a killer deal on the One).
- If you're on Verizon, and want near stock Android with stupid battery life:  Motorola Droid Maxx

Those would be my recommendations, not in any particular order. Keep in mind that out of those phones, only the Samsung phones have removable batteries if that's important to you.  If not, any of them will fit the bill depending on your preferences.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:22:43 AM EDT
[#16]
ios7 nerfed my iphone4. slow as hell. everything I did had a delay to it and several things would randomly crash. my tin foil hat says apple made ios7 to bog down old phones so you would have to upgrade. I have an ipad 2 that I love and the exchange interface is still the best with apple so I got the 5s yesterday. make a backkup on icloud of your iphone4 then you can restore to the 5s with everything there the way it was on your 4. everything is lightning fast and responsive as hell. it weighs less and is more comfortable to carry around as well. going from 3g to 4g LTE
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:40:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Like it was mentioned, try restoring the phone.

Choose like new, in the options. Via itunes.

And if you like the iphone interface, i say get the 5S if money is no issue, or 5C if you want to save 100 bucks.

If you are looking towards android, i say Galaxy S4, Note 3 (is big, specially coming from an iphone). I would not get the HTC One, very nice piece of hardware, but HTC software support has always been lackluster compare to Samsung. Their bussiness model is for you to buy a new phone to get a OS upgrade.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:42:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There's always android.

I was looking at the LGG2, the HTC One, the Moto X, and the Galaxy S4.

Ended up getting the S4 and I'm glad I did. It's a very nice phone. Very fast and it has a metric shitton of features.

Even with a bevy of good newer phones out there, I kept getting recommendations to get the S4. I can see why.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:43:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

i have the 5 is pretty nice and lte is very fast
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:44:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:49:18 AM EDT
[#21]
iPhone 5 really does seem like a great upgrade. I hate learning new things in technology, it's just not my thing so I would get another iPhone.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:50:39 AM EDT
[#22]
GS4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top