Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/26/2013 1:01:32 AM EDT
And the pain is just exploding.  Its 4 am and I can't sleep.  I was fine for a day or so and today its just gotten exponentially worse.  Feels like someones clamping down on the tooth a vise and its about to crack open.

Anyone else had this happen?

Update:

Pain subsided around 6 am and I was able to get an hour of sleep. Called the dentist and am now on antibiotics due to an infection.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:02:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Go back to the dentist, you should be feeling better by now.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:02:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Pics or it didn't happen.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:06:11 AM EDT
[#3]
It can hurt for a few days afterwards. What are you taking for it?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:07:18 AM EDT
[#4]
My root canal didnt bother me that much. I could have went to work that night afterwards but didnt. Having my wisdom tooth pulled on the hand
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:07:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Infection like a sumbitch. Been there, and it sucks, bad!

Get to an after hours clinic and get that shit addressed ASAP. Usually it's an antibiotic pack and some Tylenol 3's to remedy.
The infection spreads quick and can damage nerves and shit, as well as go systemic...don't dink around.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:11:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, not normal. Go get it checked out.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:12:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Taking advil for it.  It'll hurt when I bite down, which may be because of how the bite was set.  I can't get back in until Wednesday.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:13:38 AM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Taking advil for it.  It'll hurt when I bite down, which may be because of how the bite was set.  I can't get back in until Wednesday.
View Quote

I'd get it checked out ASAP, but in the mean time, try Aleve (naproxen sodium), and some Orajel (benzocaine).

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:14:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Going to have to go with this is not something to wait on...
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:18:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, just keep taking pain meds. Pretty soon the pressure will cause the tooth to crack vertically, and then your brand new root canal can be dug out and replaced with an implant.

Or, you know, you could just get the problem fixed sooner.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:21:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

This, seriously. I had a root canal when I was like 15 and literally had 0 pain. Give them a call at least.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:23:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yeah, just keep taking pain meds. Pretty soon the pressure will cause the tooth to crack vertically, and then your brand new root canal can be dug out and replaced with an implant.

Or, you know, you could just get the problem fixed sooner.
View Quote

I'm going to call him in a couple hours, it didn't start up until this evening and its just gotten progressively worse.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:25:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Not normal.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:31:24 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm sorry for your pain OP. go back to bed and quit waking us up.
Bummer it's the weekend you might need an antibiotic.
Im not a doctor but I recommend more painkiller as a temporary stop gap measure.
Good luck.

Ps. I see your in Somalia, try the ghat.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:45:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Probably infected. The pain shouldn't be increasing days later. Go get it checked out.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:49:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Probably infected. The pain shouldn't be increasing days later. Go get it checked out.
View Quote

This.  It shouldn't hurt at all if they did it right. I have never had pain after a root canal, the nerve should be gone.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:55:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:43:09 AM EDT
[#18]
just had another root canal last week, only thing that was sore was the area where he put in the shots beforehand.  Sounds infected, it happens.  Get it fixed ASAP, do not wait....

if there's a build up of puss or crap inside when they open it up the pressure release alone will help you feel better, again do not wait...
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:47:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Yeah...should be zero pain. Dentist missed some nerve tissue.  Go back!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:07:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Try this if you cant get back to the dentist today.

Aleve D sinus and cold med non drowsy.

It worked for me till I got to the dentist to get the damn tooth pulled, it was a combination of the infection and sinuous problem that make it worse.

" I have had 2 root canals and both were pulled 8 to 10 years later" They suck, So last week they wanted to do a root canal on a tooth I broke LOL my new dentist did not even try to convince me that pulling the tooth was a bad idea after I told him of the last 2 root canals.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:08:20 AM EDT
[#21]
i've had to have a couple....never had that much pain after.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:15:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Yup, I think you got one a those fec-shuns.

Too bad you're not closer, because I think your fish are sick too.

ETA; How is the medical care in Somalia, by the way?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:18:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Its infected.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:18:37 AM EDT
[#24]

Originally Posted By dcnyli:

just had another root canal last week, only thing that was sore was the area where he put in the shots beforehand.  Sounds infected, it happens.  Get it fixed ASAP, do not wait....

if there's a build up of puss or crap inside when they open it up the pressure release alone will help you feel better, again do not wait...
View Quote
This.
I had a root canal on an infected tooth.  He got all the nerve tissue, but the residual infecting sprouted back up a few days later.  The shots didn't touch the pain, so he ended up drilling though the temp filling by hand.  One he got in, puss was PUMPING out.*  Once the pressure was gone, so was the pain.

*My dentist is fucking great at his job, and a gun guy to boot.  He opened up at 7AM on a Saturday, just to take care of me.  He was like when he got through the temp, and the puss came out, then he handed me a mirror.... Every heart beat, yellowish shit was pumping out of the tooth
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:21:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Something went wrong.  I've had seven root canals and never experienced any post-procedural pain whatsoever.  One time when they cleaned out all four roots in a molar I experienced a little discomfort for a few weeks - but never pain.

Did you go to this guy to save a few bucks?

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:27:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Mine was no different than a regular filling.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:30:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Had my first r.c. two weeks ago.  Gum is sore from temp crown but no other pain.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:31:48 AM EDT
[#28]
just had one done that was infected, absolutely zero pain and done in one hour. had one get infected and I wanted to die the pain was so bad. get to a dentist RFN. if you have antibiotics start them now
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:43:01 AM EDT
[#29]
I do root canals all the time and pain that starts a few days after the procedure usually means it's infected.  Get on the phone, get some antibiotics and get back in to see the doc ASAP.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:48:18 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

This.  It shouldn't hurt at all if they did it right. I have never had pain after a root canal, the nerve should be gone.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I know you guys think we do not have dentists , but this ^

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:50:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

This........
and if you're taking pain meds, try taking 3 or 4 ibuprophens or aspirins with it. Sounds crazy but it helps.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:00:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Actually, that is not correct.  What the OP is experiencing is not normal.  Pain should not begin a couple of days after the root canal.

A root canal is a surgical procedure which can result in inflammation at the end of the roots, so some discomfort is normal immediately after the procedure.  It is usually noticed when biting or putting pressure on the tooth.  I've had to give a couple of folks a medrol dose pack to get the tooth calmed down.

OP call the emergency line if your dentist has one
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:09:14 AM EDT
[#33]
My root canal on 10/8 took about a week to stop hurting.  It was real bad for 3-4 days then slowly the pain went away. If it is not better by Wednesday, I would call.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:18:49 AM EDT
[#34]
OP gots the Aids,
Dibbs on guns and ammo

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:33:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Not to hijack but why to root canals cost so damn much?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:54:34 AM EDT
[#36]
"Be true to your teeth, or they'll be false to you".  - Grandpa, circa 1982

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:05:19 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Not to hijack but why to root canals cost so damn much?
View Quote

Because they can be challenging, technique sensitive, and there are real material costs, time costs, etc.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:07:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Get it taken care of... Speaking from experience. I played tough guy on mine and lost all my upper teeth and a whole lot of bone because of it. If you want the pleasure of having all of your upper teeth pulled and chunks of jaw bone removed....play tough guy, self medicate and ignore it for several months.

Eta: worst part was that I actually had really good dental insurance and plenty of money to pay for dentist...just played stubborn and thought nah...I don't need to see dentist, it'll be fine etc.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:09:05 AM EDT
[#39]
You also might have lost the clot and have a dry socket. Get to a dentist asap.

Edit. Never mind I missed root canal.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:10:39 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Actually, that is not correct.  What the OP is experiencing is not normal.  Pain should not begin a couple of days after the root canal.

A root canal is a surgical procedure which can result in inflammation at the end of the roots, so some discomfort is normal immediately after the procedure.  It is usually noticed when biting or putting pressure on the tooth.  I've had to give a couple of folks a medrol dose pack to get the tooth calmed down.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't care....What I described happened to me and I bet it happened to him. Dentists aren't perfect. They f%#k up just like everybody else!
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:05:09 AM EDT
[#41]
You shouldn't have that much pain on day 3 or even day 2. My bet is infection. Seek medical attention asap.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:09:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Update:

Pain subsided around 6 am and I was able to get an hour of sleep.  Called the dentist and am now on antibiotics due to an infection.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:10:04 AM EDT
[#43]
i've had a couple, after the first day you should only need painkillers to go to sleep.
at least that's how its been for me doesn't hurt until i try and sleep then its more annoying than hurting.

edit take them all it will come back happened to my dad.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:14:38 AM EDT
[#44]
We were taught that ideally, you'd first open up the root chamber, clean the canal, them temporize after flushing with chlorox, drying, and placing in a small amount of anti-inflammatory aromatic oil, such as capsaicin, eugenol or thymol. These oils inhibit cyclooxygenase (we didn't know that!) which reduces the formation of inflammatory eicosanoids such as prostaglandin E2. This diminishes pain.

The 1 week between opening the canal and filling it allowed any infection to resolve and drain through the canal. The canal was filled a week later, then posted and built-up. Also, a practical point was to grind the tooth "out of occlusion" during the healing phase. This also took the tooth out of function while it healed. Endodontically treated teeth would need to be crowned anyway (they become more 'brittle' after they have a root canal), so while the tooth healed, it was a good idea to take them out of function.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:15:53 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

You also might have lost the clot and have a dry socket. Get to a dentist asap.

Edit. Never mind I missed root canal.
View Quote
DING DING DING

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:16:01 AM EDT
[#46]
Something's way wrong...........or your a big PUSS
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:19:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

This, seriously. I had a root canal when I was like 15 and literally had 0 pain. Give them a call at least.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

I would call your dentist ASAP !

Good luck o.p. !
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:21:28 AM EDT
[#48]
I've never had serious pain after a root canal.
Something's wrong.
Call your dentist even if its after hours or the weekend. He should have an answering service for emergencies. He IS responsible for you, his patient.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:33:27 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Something went wrong.  I've had seven root canals and never experienced any post-procedural pain whatsoever.  One time when they cleaned out all four roots in a molar I experienced a little discomfort for a few weeks - but never pain.

Did you go to this guy to save a few bucks?

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01437/street-dentist_1437229i.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:12:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I don't care....What I described happened to me and I bet it happened to him. Dentists aren't perfect. They f%#k up just like everybody else!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is entirely possibly that a canal was missed.  That sounds like what you experienced.  Just pointing out that some pain/discomfort immediately after a root canal is normal, but hey, what do I know
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top