Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2013 12:48:11 AM EDT
It seems to me like most Battery chargers only allow you to charge batteries in pairs.

Now, let's say I have this problem....

Battery #1 has a charge of 5% of capacity.

Battery #2 has a charge of 30% of capacity....

Assuming I put them in the charger, and they charge at the same rate of time... wouldn't Battery #2 reach 100% and stop charging before battery #1 reaches it's full capacity? And since these chargers require *BOTH* batteries to be charging at the same time... wouldn't this mean that perpetually, when charged [AND USED] as pairs... battery #1 will always be at 75%?

In essence, this would lessen the battery life of the pair of batteries...

Then there's the "memory affect"... which would cause the other battery to "learn" a lesser capacity.

Am I correct in all my assumptions? It would explain why my rechargeable batteries seem to run out quickly.

If so... how do you avoid this? Seems one would have to have a charger that charges batteries as individual units and not in pairs... or are there other ways to keep your rechargeable batteries charging up to 100%?

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:51:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Electricity follows the path of least resistance.
The 5% battery would fill up to 30% & they would charge at the same time up to 100%.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:13:08 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Electricity follows the path of least resistance.

The 5% battery would fill up to 30% & they would charge at the same time up to 100%.
View Quote
So what you're saying is that in reality, both batteries would be charge in such a way that they both reach the 100% point. The other battery would simply "charge up slower", allowing the lower capacity battery to "catch up"?

I guess I was wrong about my theory as to why my batteries have such a shitty capacity. I guess I'll be buying some Eneloops and hope they fare better than the ones I have.

ETA: Sorry if this was a stupid question. I just had no idea how battery charging works, and I have heard of battery chargers that charge batteries as single units rather than pairs... but they are EXPEN$IVE

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:39:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Look at the Nitecore i4 if you haven't seen it yet.

It can charge AA as singles but not AAA
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:48:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm guessing the batteries are being charged in series and that is why they will not charge one at a time. A charger that can charge individual cells would need another charging circuit, adding to the cost of the charger.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top