Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2013 9:08:16 PM EDT

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:27:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Mmmm...they ruled the skys in Air Warrior online....
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:36:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Sex on wings.

Very beautiful plane.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:41:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I fell in love with that design when I was just a kid first looking at WWII airplanes.  It has always been my favorite aircraft.  Kelly Johnson was a brilliant man, and almost got me to switch my preference to the SR-71 Blackbird, but she must remain a close second.

So damned few of them are still flying.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:43:28 PM EDT
[#4]
That is one plane I have never seen fly in real life.   I think in all my years I can only remember seeing one or two as static displays at airshows.  The only problem is the props turn in the wrong direction for single engine stability.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:50:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That is one plane I have never seen fly in real life.   I think in all my years I can only remember seeing one or two as static displays at airshows.  The only problem is the props turn in the wrong direction for single engine stability.
View Quote

Should have seen the Lightings in RAF service after their requests for mods.  It would make your head shake.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:55:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Sex on wings.

Very beautiful plane.
View Quote

The first few iterations were apparently death traps, the late war models were quite lethal though.  Batter engines and boosted hydraulics IIRC.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:02:26 PM EDT
[#7]
My last AF Squadron was the 339th Flight Test Squadron.  Historically that unit designation was a continuation of the 339th Fighter Squadron flying the P-38 in the Pacific which was the unit that shot down Adm Yamamoto.   We hosted a reunion of the 339th at Robins AFB around 2002.  Was able to meet some of the guys who flew the mission to shoot down Yamamoto.  To this day there is still some friction as to whom actually shot him down.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:05:58 PM EDT
[#8]
There are still some up in Greenland just waiting to be taken home.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:18:53 PM EDT
[#9]
This is Lefty Gardner's old P-38, "White Lightning."   Lefty used to race her at Reno and would do one of the smoothest aerobatics demos with her as well.  This guy was as smooth as Bob Hoover, and was racing Reno in his late 70's, early 80's.  Great stick!!  Nobody ran the pylons lower than Lefty.

Some years back, Lefty's son was flying the plane and had an inflight fire.  He basically ended up putting her down in a field.  A fair amount of damage.  They were having a tough time financially, getting her put back together, if I recall the story correctly.  They ended up selling her to the Red Bull guy and he paid for a first class renovation.  Unfortunately, her new home is in England instead of Texas, but it is always good to see birds like this, in this kind of condition.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:30:00 PM EDT
[#10]
My favorite prop plane, bar none

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:46:51 PM EDT
[#11]
There is so many cool videos on youtube about the P-38  - old training videos, flight operations, gun camera film...etc.

Here is the training film, but you should really browse through the others too

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:48:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Sex on wings.

Very beautiful plane.
View Quote

Yep!
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 11:05:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Sexy!
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 11:25:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Under 1/2 a mile of ice???
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:54:10 AM EDT
[#15]
now that is sexy............
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:10:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:11:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh come on, they already got ONE out, it can't be THAT difficult, can it??
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:16:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Great video and a lot of great comments here. Thanks everyone.

I noticed a Fokker DR I, a Sopwith Triplane, a Tiger Moth, two Spitfires including a clipped wing Spitfire.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:23:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Makes my pants a little tight.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:25:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Flies like a pregnant yak in WarThunder.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:38:01 AM EDT
[#21]
This life-long fan of the P38 thanks you for the video, OP
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:44:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Big fan of the P-38, my most vivid memory is building the model and like most kids who slept or take their favorite toy everywhere. Well that wasn't a good idea, to take my model with me to the store and leave it on the dash of the car with the sun.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:44:46 AM EDT
[#23]
I'll be in my bunk.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:31:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Just the best looking lines on any aircraft. One that I  absolutely  love. Notice avatar.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:20:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
My last AF Squadron was the 339th Flight Test Squadron.  Historically that unit designation was a continuation of the 339th Fighter Squadron flying the P-38 in the Pacific which was the unit that shot down Adm Yamamoto.   We hosted a reunion of the 339th at Robins AFB around 2002.  Was able to meet some of the guys who flew the mission to shoot down Yamamoto.  To this day there is still some friction as to whom actually shot him down.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Just the best looking lines on any aircraft. One that I  absolutely  love. Notice avatar.

Hey, man, you too?!  
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:30:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Truly a thing of beauty.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:39:41 AM EDT
[#27]
My grand parents in Italy were straffed by one in Italy in 1945.. They where in church when a twin forked devil straffed the building.

No one was hurt, but the building sported the 20mm impact until the late 80

Later they learned that Germans had an observation post in another church in the region, but the pilots straffed the wrong one
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:41:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Kelly Johnson dreamed of beautiful things.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:54:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Cool
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:59:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Beautiful plane

Problem is, that the Germans never called it the Gabelschwanzteufel.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 10:09:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
This life-long fan of the P38 thanks you for the video, OP
View Quote

Second that.  They are beautiful machines. My favorite of all.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 10:19:32 AM EDT
[#32]
My great uncle flew one in Europe, until he got shot down.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 10:19:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Love the Lightning.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 10:22:03 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

There is so many cool videos on youtube about the P-38  - old training videos, flight operations, gun camera film...etc.

Here is the training film, but you should really browse through the others too

http://youtu.be/H6HbmQLcDUI

View Quote
Was that Howard Hughes in that video?

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 10:22:31 AM EDT
[#35]
She is a sexy beast.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 10:29:18 AM EDT
[#36]
My favorite WWII warbird.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 10:30:25 AM EDT
[#37]
My mom grew up in northeast Nebraska and during WWII there was a training base for 38's near. They used to buzz the town and railway to practice ground attack.
She said they constantly had 38's, 17's and 24's in the air buzzing the town and they would stand outside with their arms spread and rock back and forth, trying to get the pilots to waggle their wings at them. She said they would be ecstatic when they waggled back.
My mom says it is one of her best memories as a little girl, but she wondered how many of those boys never came home.
Her cousin was a B24 waist gunner and made 18 missions before they got knocked down on #19, only to spend the remainder (14 months) in a Luftstalag.

Little known trivia, Americas top ace, Richard Bong jockeyed a P-38
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 10:47:58 AM EDT
[#38]
I find it sad that the 'Fork Tailed Devil' has become the 'Forked Tail Eunuch' with the removal of it's armament.

Even fake barrels would keep it looking the part.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 10:57:14 AM EDT
[#39]

A couple pics from the Hazy museum, and some from Oshkosh (2008?).

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 10:57:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I find it sad that the 'Fork Tailed Devil' has become the 'Forked Tail Eunuch' with the removal of it's armament.

View Quote

There were quite a few F-4 and F-5 photo recon variants that never had guns.  Some of those were real hotrods, with every last wire and bolt of combat equipment stripped out and the throttle stops removed.

My grandfather's squadron in the 12th AF / 3rd PRG had a P-38F that they had pulling upwards of 70" of manifold pressure at sea level.  They pulled the gun mounts, gun wiring, armor plate, EVERYTHING.  It was closer to an air racer with cameras than a warplane, and it kept quite a few pilots alive with the extra speed.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 10:57:52 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View Quote
Did Bob Scott make an appearance?

Saw a P38 at the Phoenix Indy race in 74 or 75, he made a screaming diving pass through the little nook in the mountains where the raceway sits, must have been doing 500mph.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 11:02:26 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Mmmm...they ruled the skys in Air Warrior online....
View Quote
Is that your Cig in your avatar?

If so, I'm Jelly.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 11:41:08 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
There were quite a few F-4 and F-5 photo recon variants that never had guns. Some of those were real hotrods, with every last wire and bolt of combat equipment stripped out and the throttle stops removed.

My grandfather's squadron in the 12th AF / 3rd PRG had a P-38F that they had pulling upwards of 70" of manifold pressure at sea level. They pulled the gun mounts, gun wiring, armor plate, EVERYTHING. It was closer to an air racer with cameras than a warplane, and it kept quite a few pilots alive with the extra speed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

There were quite a few F-4 and F-5 photo recon variants that never had guns. Some of those were real hotrods, with every last wire and bolt of combat equipment stripped out and the throttle stops removed.

My grandfather's squadron in the 12th AF / 3rd PRG had a P-38F that they had pulling upwards of 70" of manifold pressure at sea level. They pulled the gun mounts, gun wiring, armor plate, EVERYTHING. It was closer to an air racer with cameras than a warplane, and it kept quite a few pilots alive with the extra speed.

I'll be damned. Live and learn, eh?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 11:59:00 AM EDT
[#44]
There was also a pathfinder variant of the P38 with the armament removed and a plexiglas nose with a Norden bomb sight and space for a bombardier added.  Monogram had a kit which included parts to build one.

Based on the pics I've seen it must have been a pretty small dude crammed into that space though.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:04:46 PM EDT
[#45]
How does a P-38 Lightning compare to a P-61 Black Widow?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:08:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
How does a P-38 Lightning compare to a P-61 Black Widow?
View Quote

P38 faster with liquid cooled Allison engines.  There was a night-fighter variant of the P38 with radar and an extra crewman behind the pilot but the radar set was small and primitive.

P61 bigger and slower with air cooled PW Double Wasps.  P61 also had exceptional low speed maneuverability due to spoilers.  P61 better armed with 4 20mm cannons and 4 50 cal in a turret (which was usually fixed to fire forward only.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:46:19 PM EDT
[#47]

I have a RC P-38 with a 73" wing span. Its the best sounding RC I have, its also the scariest to fly. Its fully glassed kit with air retracts, its heavy for its wing area. Im not sure it will fly/land on a single engine and I hope I never have to find out. Im sure it will go in one day and it will be a VERY sad day.
This is the only picture I can find of it, I know, its pretty small. Thats my beagle Buddy standing next to it. He is 16" and 32 pounds. Ya I know, the bars and star are on the wrong side. Don't give me any shit.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:19:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
My mom grew up in northeast Nebraska and during WWII there was a training base for 38's near. They used to buzz the town and railway to practice ground attack.
She said they constantly had 38's, 17's and 24's in the air buzzing the town and they would stand outside with their arms spread and rock back and forth, trying to get the pilots to waggle their wings at them. She said they would be ecstatic when they waggled back.
My mom says it is one of her best memories as a little girl, but she wondered how many of those boys never came home.
Her cousin was a B24 waist gunner and made 18 missions before they got knocked down on #19, only to spend the remainder (14 months) in a Luftstalag.

View Quote

He also looped the Golden Gate Bridge and buzzed down a street in San Fran. They say he took some laundry with him as he flew by.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:40:37 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

He also looped the Golden Gate Bridge and buzzed down a street in San Fran. They say he took some laundry with him as he flew by.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very well could have been the first American in space if he hadn't died testing a P80.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top