Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 10/25/2013 5:04:50 PM EDT
Who would be the first to actually donate to the charities that would theoretically replace EBT?

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:09:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I would donate job applications
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:18:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

There has never been a time in US history where ever single person had a full-time, family sustaining job.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:20:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I already have.  Haven't you ever given to a food drive at your church before?
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:20:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Reduce taxes by the EBT budget and allow private entities to run the charities. There would be more than enough food with the donation dollars.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:21:07 PM EDT
[#5]
People didn't starve to death before food stamps.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:21:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:21:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

There has never been a time in US history where ever single person had a full-time, family sustaining job.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I doubt there has ever been a time in history when everyone wanted a job.

Most are capable of work, and most would have a job if they desired it.

For the few that can't work, sure I'll donate what I can to help my neighbor. I've done it before.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:21:51 PM EDT
[#8]
If the .gov were out of the welfare bidness,  charities would not make up the difference.   Members of the FSA would actually have to find a job.

My charitable contributions would continue at their present generous level.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:22:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I do and will continue to.

I love the ideal of what America should be.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:22:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

You really think a few cans at a food drive is a viable substitute for welfare and food stamps?

Op, the programs we have now were created because private charity couldn't keep up with the demand.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:22:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hence the concept of "savings" was born.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:23:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

But the "poor" are obese and on Iphones now that we do.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:23:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

..and social darwinism.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:23:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Though I am by no means wealthy, I make an effort to donate to charity whenever I can. Partially because I know it's the right thing to do, but also to stay consistent in my anti-FSA beliefs.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:23:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Lots of people donate to charity. We donate stuff all the time. What's your point?
View Quote

The point he's attempting to make, poorly, is that government must be the answer.  I'm a bit amazed that he didn't know that such charities and the people who support them already exist, but then liberals do tend to project a lot.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:24:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  Also EBT isn't food stamps, it's just the monthly cash transfer from your family to them.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:24:48 PM EDT
[#17]
You didn't really think this thread through much, did you?
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:26:03 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Who would be the first to actually donate to the charities that would theoretically replace EBT?

View Quote
I would happily donate to charities that are using their funding wisely.

I heartily believe that our tax structure is upside down.  If I have to be taxed at the rates I am, I believe my city should get my federal taxes, the state gets to keep their cut and the feds can have what I pay to my city.

Money is best spent at the local level.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:26:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You really think a few cans at a food drive is a viable substitute for welfare and food stamps?

Op, the programs we have now were created because private charity couldn't keep up with the demand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The programs we have now were created to buy votes and nothing more.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:26:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, they won't be getting steak and lobster from charity.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:27:06 PM EDT
[#21]
We don't need more charity...we need less people wanting it.

In other words, stop having bastard kids.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:27:17 PM EDT
[#22]
I donate regularly to a local LA food/homeless shelter. I made sure that they were legit on BBB. I haven't been giving too much lately with my last couple years of tight finances but I have started up again with my new job. $$$
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:28:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do not.

The viable alternative to welfare and food stamps is getting a job or going hungry. I personally don't care which choice people make beyond that.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:28:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:29:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The point he's attempting to make, poorly, is that government must be the answer.  I'm a bit amazed that he didn't know that such charities and the people who support them already exist, but then liberals do tend to project a lot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lots of people donate to charity. We donate stuff all the time. What's your point?

Your whole post is just

That wasn't the point I was making.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:33:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Your whole post is just

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your whole post is just

Then speak plainly. What *is* your point?
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:35:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Liberals can adopt a family and supply their housing, clothing, food, medical care, etc.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:36:14 PM EDT
[#28]
soup kitchens, churchs, community food donation centers, some with and some without gov't cheese already.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:46:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think private charity would and could provide the basic needs of those truly in need. Those who are just lazy and don't want to work, possibly not.

No it wouldn't match the dollars spent on welfare but it doesn't need too. They eat better than many with jobs. They have it better than I do. It should be harder on them.

Did you see the thread about the lady complaining her food stamps was cut $75 or so from almost $1200.

My family eats on a fraction on that, so can they.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:48:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And oddly enough, after $16 trillion over 65 years, there are more people on welfare (both raw numbers and per capita) than ever before.  What does that tell you?  

(Hint--finish the sentence:  "throwing good ___  after bad.")
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:49:56 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View Quote
I donate to that charity every Sunday!!

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:53:19 PM EDT
[#32]
friends/family/neighbors/churches,doesnt have to be just private charities.

I would probably donate far more than I do now just because I feel far better about giving of my own free will over donating with a knife on my throat
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:54:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Actually, the private charity foodbanks help them fill out the food stamps application and then continue giving them food after they get the food stamps!!

So it has nothing to do with "demand".

People eat better with their ebt cards and buy steak (or crap for other people in exchange for cash) and then use the canned goods they get at the food pantry.

No wonder I see so many food stamp repicients binging on junk food and never buying anything from the canned vegetable aisle.

It should be illegal to collect foodstamps and go to food pantry at the same time. Why would I give to one when they really don't care if the person is already being provided for by the government?
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:55:47 PM EDT
[#34]
There wouldn't be one charity to rule them all.

People would support their communities by donating to local charities.  Or they would support specific causes by donating to charities for specific causes like animal shelters.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:55:58 PM EDT
[#35]
I used to donate to charity on a regular basis.

Now, I'm kinda short on cash, Thanks Obama!

ETA

Quoted:
There wouldn't be one charity to rule them all.

People would support their communities by donating to local charities.  Or they would support specific causes by donating to charities for specific causes like animal shelters.
View Quote

This is my assumption.  I don't donate to national charities, too much money is wasted.  I donate to local food pantries and other local efforts that I can vet.

There was an interesting study done a while back on charitable donations.  People in the midwest (i.e. the "flyover people") tend to donate more than people in places like San Francisco and NYC.  The latter don't donate at all, expecting Gov't to foot the bill.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:56:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:59:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And since implementing those programs demand has gone through the roof.   Success!
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:00:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ITT the liberals out themselves.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:03:58 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View Quote
Even if nobody would here would donate to charities, it doesn't validate the idea that government should be providing a living to some by taxing

the living of others.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:05:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Couldnt be more wrong. There was more opportunity before Big Gov. The welfare state was created by the left to tear down families, communities, and make individuals dependant. They could never defeat us militarily, so they have done it from within, just as Kruschev said they would.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:10:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Those charities would hardly issue "Dignity Cards" with $600+ on them each month.  The FSA would get a shopping bag full of rice and beans and some canned veggies, some peanut butter and an invite to the next worship service.

Might teach some FSA the value of hard work if they actually had to eat rice and beans for a while.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:10:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So how did the folks in 1825 swipe their EBT cards w/o electricity.  Oh yeah...  The ones that where determined to deserve charity by their local townspeople received it and those that the local townspeople determined where freeloaders either go a job or starved.  Fairly good system if you ask me.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:11:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Op, the programs we have now were created because private charity couldn't keep up with the demand. to buy votes from the weak and poorly informed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Op, the programs we have now were created because private charity couldn't keep up with the demand. to buy votes from the weak and poorly informed.

There.  Accurized it for you.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:12:47 PM EDT
[#44]

out of all the money the government wastes, food for the poor doesnt bother me too bad.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:14:00 PM EDT
[#45]
For one, a good percentage of the money that the government spends on "welfare" never actually reaches the poor. IIRC, something like 30% of welfare money actually goes to the poor.

And of the people that get that money, a good portion of them would probably get a job if they had a swift, economical ass punt to get them motivated.

Private charity would be able to adequately help the people that ACTUALLY are helpless. The people that claim to be helpless, but are just too lazy would have to work, that's life.

Welfare is a profitable bureaucracy. Grocery stores love it, the companies that make money processing the EBT cards love it, the bureaucrats who "administer" it, love it. The politicians who use it to buy votes love it.

If our taxes went down, the size of government was reduced significantly and we didn't have all these government programs hogtying us, it would be SO MUCH easier to give money to charity.

It really is a shame, too, because it feels awesome to give your time and money to charity. Unfortunately the government is depriving people of that feeling by sucking up a good portion of their money.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:15:19 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Then you can starve and die off. Its called evolution. We need more of it. A LOT more of it.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:15:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Not me. I don't give a shit about the poor because if I was poor, too, no one would give a shit about me. Thems the breaks.

The world is unkind and naturally hostile. You make it on your own or you don't.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:17:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

FPNI

The solution is find a job. Those who truly couldn't would have to use charities.

Private charities could not replace the bohemouth that is institutionalized welfare in this country.

The system is so easy that it enables people to depend on it. It even tempts them and entices them.

Welfare is the downfall of those communities and cultures that depend on ot as a matter of practice.  It enslaves them to being second class citizens.

It is itself a racist institution  against those it ensnares.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:23:47 PM EDT
[#49]
I am right now…

I’ve taken in a woman (and longtime friend) with a history of mental illness after she went through a nasty divorce. She doesn’t work, but at least she cooks pretty good. I’ve also taken in two of her late teen unemployed children. And I’m helping her other son, his wife, and their new baby to the extent that I feed them quite often.

(This is on $40,000 a year and I don’t get food stamps or any other assistance. I’m sure the son with the baby does, but I haven’t asked.)

Oh yea, my company occasionally takes on deserving charities and provides our services to them. On occasion the services are provided by employees who volunteer their after hours labor to the charity. I’ve volunteered for every one and there never has been a shortage of workers for those projects.

Without government welfare, the deserving (and many not so deserving… that means you two teenagers, get off my couch and get a damned job… sorry.) poor would still get the help they need.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:24:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is a self perpetuating monster. Everyone can not live middle class lifestyles. This is a fallacy. There are jobs in China.... a diet of rice and beans is not the end of the world.

Those jobs could be here....

Cut welfare back 75%.

Lower minimum wage to be competetive with Asia for production.

Noone said it was gonna be easy. America is a big hypocrite.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top