Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2013 4:37:43 PM EDT

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 4:46:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 4:52:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Far be it from me to laugh at motorcycle crashes but that guy who puts his 250 (it looks like a 250 anyway) up onto the bank is fair game.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:33:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Another shining example of "Size of Brain = 1/Size of Balls"
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:35:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Another shining example of "Size of Brain = 1/Size of Balls"
View Quote

No doubt!
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:43:41 PM EDT
[#5]
What is that little wobble all the guys on the bikes keep doing? (in the third video)  It's like the motorcycle is trying to swap ends.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:46:13 PM EDT
[#6]
It's the mystique of that place that attracts the idiots who run out of talent at just the wrong moment.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:46:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What is that little wobble all the guys on the bikes keep doing? (in the third video)  It's like the motorcycle is trying to swap ends.

View Quote

It looks like an oil slick in the centerline of the lane.. but just guessing.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:59:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The way they all corrected, I am really surprised they didnt get someone on video high-siding it (And going over the handlbars..).  
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:09:43 PM EDT
[#9]
What is about that curve that makes it so difficult to navigate?  There are probably a hundred or more YT videos of crashes and near misses there.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:10:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Lots of people standing around waiting for their turn to be victims in that first video.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:25:24 PM EDT
[#11]
one wreck was from the "Isle of man" race practice,   180 MPH
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:49:59 PM EDT
[#12]
This is pure entertainment.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:12:58 PM EDT
[#13]
I have ridden The Snake twice. What catches people out is that the turn is a medium radius OFF CAMBER turn that goes into a straight but is still off camber.
If you're not familiar with how to negotiate an off camber turn, generally, you're going to add throttle at the wrong time and wad it up.
Had I not been with a pack of riders who were experienced with that entire route and warned me ahead of time, I'm sure I would have put it into the dirt or worse.

What worse is that drivers and riders coming up know the outside lane is off camber and will cross the line in the opposite lane order to avoid it and lay the power down early, putting drivers and riders coming down into peril of a head-on collision.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:42:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I ran my 510 and Porsche there a few times 20+ years ago, but never saw that kind of asshattery. Douchedildobags fuck it up for good guys
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:51:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I ran my 510 and Porsche there a few times 20+ years ago, but never saw that kind of asshattery. Douchedildobags fuck it up for good guys
View Quote

I have always wanted a Datsun 510. Lowered and sitting on Sport Rallye wheels.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:54:18 PM EDT
[#16]
BTW  - I'm surprised the R6 didn't turn itself into a fireball. Anyone who knows about R6's knows its tank is an inherently flawed design in a low side, or generally any collision where the tank touches the ground.

It is the Pinto of the motorcycle world.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:16:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
BTW  - I'm surprised the R6 didn't turn itself into a fireball. Anyone who knows about R6's knows its tank is an inherently flawed design in a low side, or generally any collision where the tank touches the ground.

It is the Pinto of the motorcycle world.
View Quote

But it be leaking.
Amberlamps, bring them.

OK, a pickup will work.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:17:09 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote

That is the result of the back wheel breaking traction and starting to slide.  If it never re-grips you will end up with a low-side crash where the motorcycle falls over on it's side and you and the bike to sliding down the road.  If the wheel re-grips after it has slid out of line of the front wheel it will cause a bobble like you seen in the vids.  If it slides out very far and re-grips you will generally end up in a high side crash.  High side meaning you are thrown over the bike as it whips back in line.

Quite a few highsides on this video.  The first two at about :18 seconds are what is referred to as tucking the front which is different than a high or low side crash.  The front wheel has lost traction and the bike flops over.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:17:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Ah, the road to The Rock Store. Helluva drive. I'm a bit disappointed that they put that guardrail on that turn. It's a few hundred feet down if you go over. Almost everyone who went over belonged there, too. That road is very well known for what it does.

Quoted:

View Quote

That's exactly what's happening. Skid a bike in a turn and the rear wheel will regain traction when the bike gets upright and more of the tire surface contacts the ground. It won't happen at high speeds because the rear wheel won't regain traction, but at low speeds, it give the bike a kick as it transitions from the lean to upright, sometimes throwing the rider over the high side of the bike. Hence it's known as a "high side." Bad things tend to happen to people who high side.

If you lean a bike over too far and it slides out from under you, it's a "low side."
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:18:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What is about that curve that makes it so difficult to navigate?  There are probably a hundred or more YT videos of crashes and near misses there.
View Quote

Stupid people think they can take a hairpin turn at more speed than they can take a hairpin turn. That's the secret.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:26:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Yeah, I'd love to ride the road, but I never will, not with so many morons out there. There's better roads out there without the traffic. Although, I did do the dragon and felt pretty safe wedged between convoys of fat old guys on cruisers going 10 mph. Cherahola and highway 28 were so much more fun

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:26:36 PM EDT
[#22]
California has the best roads......
RT 1
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:27:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Ah, the road to The Rock Store. Helluva drive. I'm a bit disappointed that they put that guardrail on that turn. It's a few hundred feet down if you go over. Almost everyone who went over belonged there, too. That road is very well known for what it does.

That's exactly what's happening. Skid a bike in a turn and the rear wheel will regain traction when the bike gets upright and more of the tire surface contacts the ground. It won't happen at high speeds because the rear wheel won't regain traction, but at low speeds, it give the bike a kick as it transitions from the lean to upright, sometimes throwing the rider over the high side of the bike. Hence it's known as a "high side." Bad things tend to happen to people who high side.

If you lean a bike over too far and it slides out from under you, it's a "low side."
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

High Sides look painful.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:49:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Why did the bike fall over at 26 seconds?
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:02:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Califorians pull over for faster cars...

0:51

true
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:04:28 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Why did the bike fall over at 26 seconds?
View Quote
If you are talking about the MotoGP clip it was due to aggressive front brake application before entering the corner.  He was a little to hard on the brakes and the front wheel broke traction.  You can feel this happening but the late braking these guys do there is little time to correct the matter.  Your only option is to release the pressure on the front brake and re apply, which will usually result in running off track anyway.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top