Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2013 8:34:32 AM EDT
Anyone have a 18"-20" Bull barrel in .308? Or is it a waste of time.
Remington makes a Varmint Heavy 20" barrel in .308. Sounds like a great compact huning rig.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:36:29 AM EDT
[#1]
go 21 and 3/4 trust me..
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:42:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a suppressed Remington 700 tactical aac-sd.  I like it a lot, my son killed an elk with it last season.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:54:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
go 21 and 3/4 trust me..
View Quote

Why would that be? You have that setup? think most have a 1:12 twist in them.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:58:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have a suppressed Remington 700 tactical aac-sd.  I like it a lot, my son killed an elk with it last season.
View Quote

Bought one of these, haven't shot it yet since I'm waiting on funds for a scope.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:07:11 AM EDT
[#5]
I've always wondered what barrel is required to keep .308 supersonic past 1000?
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:08:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
go 21 and 3/4 trust me..

I will bet a yen and a half it's the reference to Ed Shillen and Virgil King's theory that 21.75" was the "perfect," 308 length. I've personally spoken to Ed on this topic and he says it's crap. Matching proper projectile speed to barrel reverb was substantially more important for accuracy than barrel length for a given caliber. I tend to take his word for it. ;)

I have an 18" AR308 and a 20" SPS, both go 1000+ yards with 168's just fine, if that helps OP.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:09:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

The obvious answer is that it's totally dependent on the bullet and load you're using.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:12:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Remington makes a Varmint Heavy 20" barrel in .308. Sounds like a great compact huning rig.
View Quote

I have a SPS with a 20" barrel that shoots cloverleafs at 100 yards and hits steel from 200-500 yards so consistently that it's almost boring to shoot it.

If you want to shoot farther than that, I'd be looking at other calibers.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:13:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
go 21 and 3/4 trust me..

length.. and if you can find a 1:10 its more better..
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:14:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I have a SPS with a 20" barrel that shoots cloverleafs at 100 yards and hits steel from 200-500 yards so consistently that it's almost boring to shoot it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm no .308 fan at all. I don't own one and I think in general .30cal anything sucks. That said... you can certainly employ a .308 effectively well beyond the 500 yards you say is the line before you start looking at other calibers.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:17:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I will bet a yen and a half it's the reference to Ed Shillen and Virgil King's theory that 21.75" was the "perfect," 308 length. I've personally spoken to Ed on this topic and he says it's crap. Matching proper projectile speed to barrel reverb was substantially more important for accuracy than barrel length for a given caliber. I tend to take his word for it. ;)

I have an 18" AR308 and a 20" SPS, both go 1000+ yards with 168's just fine, if that helps OP.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
go 21 and 3/4 trust me..

I had read somewhere that the DPMS .308 AP4 6" with an Trijicon TA55 was hitting a papet plste at 1200-1500 metets. That is very Impressive out of a 16" tube.

Thanks for your info and input.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:18:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
go 21 and 3/4 trust me..

actually thats for the 6mm ish bench guns.. Ive had great  luck with a 22 inch thats back bored 1/4 inch in a 308. But I came to that number via a calculation for harmonics that we did a bit of fooling around with while in college.
and if the Rem is new production, fingers crossed the chamber is cut concentric.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:24:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'm no .308 fan at all. I don't own one and I think in general .30cal anything sucks. That said... you can certainly employ a .308 effectively well beyond the 500 yards you say is the line before you start looking at other calibers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Will a .308 work past 500 yards? Yes, of course, but there are MUCH better calibers.

It's a whole different discussion, but a few of us at work were wondering how/why .308 became such a popular long range round? The general consensus was because it was a military round, and thus had the most popularity.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:24:26 AM EDT
[#14]
My 20" SPS Tactical shooting handloaded 178 A-Max's got to 1k easily.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:28:12 AM EDT
[#15]
20 inch .308 SPS Tactical (in the Varmit stock instead of Hogue), capped with an Accupoint and led by an AAC 762SD.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:28:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Will a .308 work past 500 yards? Yes, of course, but there are MUCH better calibers.

It's a whole different discussion, but a few of us at work were wondering how/why .308 became such a popular long range round? The general consensus was because it was a military round, and thus had the most popularity.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you and I are on the same page. I have no use for .308 at all, and freely admit there are much better options for pretty much anything you want to do. I'm just taking issue with some arbitrary line at 500 yards where the .308 is somehow even less worthwhile past that distance. The truth of the matter is that the .308 can effectively be shot much further than that by a skilled shooter, and for someone who is probably new to bolt guns or long range shooting the .308 is still a solid choice unless they're into building custom rifles and handloading right from the beginning.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:31:01 AM EDT
[#17]
I have a 16" LMT MWS and at a John McPhee class I was hit man-sized steel at 640 meters with FGMM 175s and a 10X scope. I would certainly not try to take an animal at that range, but 400 would be a snap. YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:31:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I think you and I are on the same page. I have no use for .308 at all, and freely admit there are much better options for pretty much anything you want to do. I'm just taking issue with some arbitrary line at 500 yards where the .308 is somehow even less worthwhile past that distance. The truth of the matter is that the .308 can effectively be shot much further than that by a skilled shooter, and for someone who is probably new to bolt guns or long range shooting the .308 is still a solid choice unless they're into building custom rifles and handloading right from the beginning.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For the record, I didn't draw any "lines" or make any sort of sweeping statement, as you're implying. I simply said that beyond that range, I'd be looking at other calibers.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:36:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with your assessment of the .308 popularity due to military use, but it is a solid cartridge. Guys win benchrest matches with them. 6 PPC still dominates, but the .308 can do a lot of good work.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:37:37 AM EDT
[#20]

Shitty picture but you get the idea. Flings 168 SMK hand loads no problem.

700P chopped to 18" threaded for AAC QD. My SDN-6 stamp went pending back in June.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:58:42 AM EDT
[#21]
I just shot a deer with my Tikka T3 Scout which is a bull barrel 20" .308

I will be shooting an elk with it in the near future as well.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:13:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

actually thats for the 6mm ish bench guns.. Ive had great  luck with a 22 inch thats back bored 1/4 inch in a 308. But I came to that number via a calculation for harmonics that we did a bit of fooling around with while in college.
and if the Rem is new production, fingers crossed the chamber is cut concentric.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
go 21 and 3/4 trust me..

I guess the "original," version was that it was the perfect rifle length regardless of caliber, due to the rough similarities of building material in rifle barrels. So, in theory it'd apply to the 6's that Ed and Virgil shoot, or if I recall correctly, the Military FM's referring to 21.75" being the best tested length for the .308's, however 6 one half dozen the other you're not incorrect at all.

Either way I would imagine things like powder rate, projectile size, twist, would all vary the outcome of the "perfect length," no matter what. Though, you're definitely a pro so I'm not at odds with your opinion either.

Frankly, shooter ability is going to be the most limiting factor in the equation, either way. :) thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:25:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The obvious answer is that it's totally dependent on the bullet and load you're using.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, Gold Match 168grn Federal.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:28:57 AM EDT
[#24]
I wouldn't go past 20. If I bought another .308 I would go 18" fo sho.  Current Savage 110 is 20" and is plenty heavy
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:30:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Have 2-One's a 20" tactical and the other a 26" Varmint. Love em both and using 168gr Hornady handloads, shoots pretty damn great.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:32:14 AM EDT
[#26]
With factory FGMM ammo, you don't gain much velocity past 20" barrel length; not enough to worry about at least.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:33:48 AM EDT
[#27]
SPS-T in custom PSS stock, cut to 20", threaded 5/8-9/16, AAC SDN-6, Elite 3200 5-15. Tan cerakote. One holer with 168gr SMK

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 12:50:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
SPS-T in custom PSS stock, cut to 20", threaded 5/8-9/16, AAC SDN-6, Elite 3200 5-15. Tan cerakote. One holer with 168gr SMK
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f49/postban/Suppressors/ugly%20stick/2012-05-29_18-03-31_977.jpg  
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 12:58:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Must be nice living in states that allow suppressors  Illinois finally allowed SBR's to be registered.  Suppressors?  Never.....  I'm guessing the anti's believe all of the gang bangers will be running around with them since everyone can buy them with the gun show loophole
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 1:09:09 PM EDT
[#30]
LTR in .308 20 inch barrel
I use it for deer

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 1:16:12 PM EDT
[#31]
I have a Remington 700 LTR.  It's a 20" fluted Bull barrel.  Great little gun!

While it certainly is somewhat slower than a 24", it's not perceptibly less accurate, and the velocity only shows up at 900 yards or so.  Not a waste at all.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 1:17:02 PM EDT
[#32]
I had a Savage 10 in .308 bull barrel 20"........loved it.  Drop dead accurate at 100-200yds.....that's all the farther I got to shoot it.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 1:18:16 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View Quote

I believe a 20" can do it, but just barely.  I haven't chronographed my loads, so I don't know for sure, but my best estimates are around 1000-1100 for the 168gr. AMAX.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 1:19:55 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think that would be right out to 1000 in a 20", but not much farther.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 1:24:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f49/postban/Suppressors/ugly%20stick/2012-05-29_18-03-31_977.jpg  
View Quote

your not helping me and my need of a bolt gun

that is sexy
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 1:30:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 1:33:45 PM EDT
[#37]
why not just get a normal hunting weight rifle with a normal 22 or 24 inch barrel and just use that

what on earth would be the point of an 18" bull barrel?

so it can be real heavy and have nasty muzzle blast?

a lot of this "tactical" stuff reminds me of putting a noisy muffler on a Toyota corolla
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 1:35:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
why not just get a normal hunting weight rifle with a normal 22 or 24 inch barrel and just use that

a lot of this "tactical" stuff reminds me of putting a noisy muffler on a Toyota corolla
View Quote

what kind of woods do they have in Zimbabwe?

around here anything longer than a Serbu is a real pain when walking through the woods
pretty heavy brush here
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 1:36:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
With factory FGMM ammo, you don't gain much velocity past 20" barrel length; not enough to worry about at least.
View Quote

but you burn all the powder and throw the muzzle blast downrange with a longer barrel

it's more important for the shooter to be comfortable than to just arbitrarily trim the barrel length to the minimum
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 1:50:51 PM EDT
[#40]
My 18" AAC SD is a fantastic rifle for the money.  I play to upgrade it a bit with stock and bottom metal.  I have the Surefire brake on it and it has very little recoil.  Does the 300 win mag and 338 Lapua mag shoot further?  Yup.  They are also more expensive to shoot and buy.  They are also overkill for a lot of purposes too.   One of these days I'll buy a .338 but I'm not going to get rid of my 308 when I do.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 4:12:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:I think that would be right out to 1000 in a 20", but not much farther.

View Quote

Sweet thanks for an answer, I've always wondered.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:57:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because I was given one, Instead of buying a new one I could have cut down it won't cost me anything By our local gunsmith.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:34:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Because I was given one, Instead of buying a new one I could have cut down it won't cost me anything By our local gunsmith.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What exactly were you given?

I have a Rem 700 AAC-SD 20". Excellent rifle for the price, and 20" is really the sweet spot for a .308, IMO. FWIW, it's about 11 pounds with a Vortex 4-16x50 and B&C M40. Still light enough for hunting, but heavy enough barrel to be a tack driver.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:45:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
go 21 and 3/4 trust me..

Concentric and ON AXIS!!!

Chamber rough in, is done in the fucking hammer mill.
The bastards with finish ream and headspace on a barrel that has the chamber 3//8" off axis, then blame bad ammo when your bolt wont open.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:20:16 AM EDT
[#45]
anyone seen the magpul precision rifle video where they shoot short barrel 308s (along with 338, and 300wm) out to a mile ?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:28:39 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

that is sexy
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

that is sexy
Apologies ..................not

Video for anti-penance

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:36:22 AM EDT
[#47]
Go for it.  My next rig is gonna be the same as you described.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:26:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why do you think that anything .30 sucks? It's the most popular hunting caliber for good reason.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:48:25 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p509/mjhrwd/E6D1349F-3304-4EA7-A529-AF7CD7BD08A3-7196-000002E570EF0CE2_zpsb38d702f.jpg

Shitty picture but you get the idea. Flings 168 SMK hand loads no problem.

700P chopped to 18" threaded for AAC QD. My SDN-6 stamp went pending back in June.
View Quote
Specs? What stock?

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:49:45 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

22+ inches and 155 grn bullets.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top