Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/25/2013 6:15:38 AM EDT
What are your thoughts on the proposed change to more strictly regulate this drug?  For those of us chronic pain sufferers, it certainly can't be a good thing.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:16:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Some street drug will take its place
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:21:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

That's what's happening here in south florida.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:21:26 AM EDT
[#3]
It's a bad thing. Hydrocodone was the last good pain med that can be called in, now it'll require a hard copy prescription which is a nuisance. Doctors knew they could pacify people with a few tabs of Norco, now they'll have to have a visit.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:21:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Great. Now i will have nothing for my nexr knee surgry. We may as well live in the dark ages. :(

I had to take massive doses when i had my knee replaced. After about 3 months i was able to cur back. It was eady to quit taking. I honestly don't understand what's so appealing that people get addicted. Unless they are in chronic pain but that's a different story.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:22:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Likely heroin.  I'm hearing that excuse more and more around here.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:22:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Not going to happen.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:28:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Maybe doctors should be more careful instead of handing the stuff out like candy.

Around here lots of ER doctors will give someone hydrocodone if the patient complains about some minor pain or has some BS excuse as to why they need it. I know pain is hard to quantify in different people but when you have the same person coming back every week to get something for "foot pain", that should throw up a red flag.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:29:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I honestly don't understand what's so appealing that people get addicted.
View Quote

It affects different people in different ways.  It hardly touches my wife, pain or otherwise; it puts me in the floaty land of no pain with unicorns and rainbows by my side.  I've turned down a prescription since then for a minor pain, because it scares me a bit.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:33:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Like almost any action by government, not only will it fail to fix the issue, it'll cause new ones.

When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:35:23 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
It affects different people in different ways.  It hardly touches my wife, pain or otherwise; it puts me in the floaty land of no pain with unicorns and rainbows by my side.  I've turned down a prescription since then for a minor pain, because it scares me a bit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You are describing me, I cant tell the difference between a couple of Tylenol and a couple of 10/500 hydrocodone.

The opiate has little effect on me.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:37:22 AM EDT
[#11]
My dad has chronic back pain and a prescription for Hydrocodone.He wont take it He doesn't want to risk becoming addicted.He will soon be 88 years old.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:44:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:46:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Like almost any action by government, not only will it fail to fix the issue, it'll cause new ones.

View Quote

Yup

Regulations don't work so they make more. Drug laws just make the black market more lucrative so they pass more laws that enrich dealers.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:49:00 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

You are describing me, I cant tell the difference between a couple of Tylenol and a couple of 10/500 hydrocodone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1.  I get a prescription and take one or two, then it gets piled up in the medicine cabinet with the rest of them.  They work on the wife really well, but the side effects suck enough for her that she needs to be near death to take them.  

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:51:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Indeed.

Very many people addicted to prescription narcotics switch to heroin simply because it's easier to get, and often cheaper.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:55:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Same thing that happened when they made Oxycontin harder to get and shut down the pill mills, increase in heroin usage.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:57:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Could be worse, try a military doc and all you get is ibuprofen 800
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:07:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My dad has chronic back pain and a prescription for Hydrocodone.He wont take it He doesn't want to risk becoming addicted.He will soon be 88 years old.
View Quote

If I was 88 and in chronic pain the last thing I would be worried about would be getting addicted to pain killers.  It not like he's going to go all reefer madness and start raping the white women.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:07:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Could be worse, try a military doc and all you get is ibuprofen 800
View Quote

I think a lot of docs will just start doing that.  Unfortunately not everyone can take ibuprofen.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:13:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

+1.  I get a prescription and take one or two, then it gets piled up in the medicine cabinet with the rest of them.  They work on the wife really well, but the side effects suck enough for her that she needs to be near death to take them.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If its not already they will make it illegal to have your own prescriptions past the time it should have taken you to use them. They will charge you with hording medical supplies or illegal drug posession.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:17:19 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Doctors knew they could pacify people with a few tabs of Norco, now they'll have to have a visit.
View Quote

Which is why those that abuse pain pills learned to jump from doctor to doctor and get more.  Doctors have caused more of the abuse by wanted to pacify patients.  If you have friends or family who ended up abusing pain pills you would know how damaging it can be.  My ex-wife did and that is a big part of why she is my ex.  Doctors would write her scripts for pain pills like they were candy.  I tried talking to my doctor to get her help, all he did was run blood work and then dismissed her as a patient.  There needs to be more accountability with that whole system, starting with the doctors and how they have generously written scripts.  I'm not sure if a hard copy script will make much of a difference.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:18:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Oh no, not at all!  Moving this drug to a higher schedule will absolutely eliminate its abuse, with no negative impact on those who truly need it.  Those who don't truly need it, and who are using it merely to alter their mental state, will suddenly see the error of their ways, and stop using any mind altering substances at all.  Frankly, I can't see why this wasn't done sooner.  I mean, think of it: we really should just move everything to schedule II, nicotine, caffeine, alcohol, heck, toss dopamine on up there while we're at it!
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:19:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

If its not already they will make it illegal to have your own prescriptions past the time it should have taken you to use them. They will charge you with hording medical supplies or illegal drug posession.

View Quote

Yep, they're going to zero tolerance and getting rid of any and all wiggle room.  We had a guy pop positive (.mil) on a drug test.  He had just come off of a surgery and had prescription pain meds.  Problem was he took one of his wife's, which was different than his, and they treated it as if he'd bought it from some guy on the corner.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:20:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Our government wants us to all be slaves to it.

It is our master.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:21:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Oh no, not at all!  Moving this drug to a higher schedule will absolutely eliminate its abuse, with no negative impact on those who truly need it.  Those who don't truly need it, and who are using it merely to alter their mental state, will suddenly see the error of their ways, and stop using any mind altering substances at all.  Frankly, I can't see why this wasn't done sooner.  I mean, think of it: we really should just move everything to schedule II, nicotine, caffeine, alcohol, heck, toss dopamine on up there while we're at it!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I swear, the next time I'm in NO I'm going to doctor shop until I can score a prescription to buy you a drink.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:21:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

If I was 88 and in chronic pain the last thing I would be worried about would be getting addicted to pain killers.  It not like he's going to go all reefer madness and start raping the white women.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amen.That's the way I see it too................but you don't know my Dad!!!! He also worries about his CREDIT reports!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:21:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Maybe doctors should be more careful instead of handing the stuff out like candy.

Around here lots of ER doctors will give someone hydrocodone if the patient complains about some minor pain or has some BS excuse as to why they need it. I know pain is hard to quantify in different people but when you have the same person coming back every week to get something for "foot pain", that should throw up a red flag.
View Quote

I agree with you to a certain extent.  Those frequent flyers will be the first to lawyer up and state that they weren't adequately treated.  Pain, even when absolutely non-congruent,  is what the patient says it is.  And, getting a psych doctor to diagnose someone as an addict isn't probably going to happen without a confession from the addict.  Which probably won't happen either.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:24:18 AM EDT
[#28]
They will never learn.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:25:30 AM EDT
[#29]
I hear krokodil is a good alternative
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:26:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's also the fact that addicts aren't known for sticking with the label instructions.  Oxycodone doesn't give a particular high to most people - until it is crushed and snorted.  Likewise people aren't getting high off 1 vicodin - they take more to get the recreational effects.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:27:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Amen.That's the way I see it too................but you don't know my Dad!!!! He also worries about his CREDIT reports!!!!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My grandmother was the same way, and she had freaking bone cancer at the end.  She was tough as hell, and either felt no pain or was just too stubborn to take anything.  Me, 88 and chronic pain?  I'll be high as a kite if I have the option.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:28:59 AM EDT
[#32]

the replacements are morpime sulfate ER , and   opana ER there made with a coating that is difficult to remove. To keep people from breaking it down. For smoking or injecting supposedly it's safer.

In Florida Percocet, Vicodin cannot be prescribed for long-term chronic use this is supposedly to curb abuse.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:29:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

At 88, addiction is the least of his worries. He should take it if it improves his quality of life.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:31:48 AM EDT
[#34]
effing stupid. many civilized countries have OTC codeine products.

i haven't been able to get an RX for them in years when i needed it. i've had minor surgeries where I was told to "take a tylenol".

FDA/DEA nazi's.

wonder when coffee and cigarettes will be made RX only?
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:32:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

It is total BS.

The problem is these hospitals that have patients review the Dr's performance via questionaires and if they addressed their concerns.  If the Dr doesn't give them what they want they will complain to the hospital at which point the Dr gets berated for poor care.  So a lot of the times the ER doc really have their hands tied.  

My wife is a ER doc at a major hospital and is faced with this situation all the time.  If it was up to me I'd tell these losers that come into the ER to GTFO, but it doesn't work that way unfortunately.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:32:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This, if he is inactive due to pain a PE or a pneumonia would be much more devistating. He needs to be as active as possible. In addition, those most concerned about addiction, unless their concern is based on previous addiction, are least likely to become addicted.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:32:43 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
What are your thoughts on the proposed change to more strictly regulate this drug?  For those of us chronic pain sufferers, it certainly can't be a good thing.  
View Quote

It's simply stupid.

It wont stop a thing but it will make people with legit issues work harder.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:33:28 AM EDT
[#38]
This type of thing is something I really don't like about the USA (Love you guys and the country).

Living in drug flooded Holland makes that I can go out my door right now and get any drug I want probably in less than 10 mins but guess what what I don't even smoke or drink (I call it personal responsibility an alien concept to some).

But the most important thing of all:

I HAVE NEVER MET/HEARD OF A JUNKY THAT STOPPED BECAYE HE?SHE COULD NOT GET HOLD OF DRUGS

Some stop because they get older, some stop because they want to get their life back on track some stop because of the effects on their surroundings but never the big red part.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:34:24 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View Quote
My dad was addicted for about a year until he died.  I mentioned this to his surgeon when he was being released from the hospital following the most harrowing cancer surgery I've ever heard of and the doctor replied "That's the least of his problems.  Just don't withhold them."  Doc was right, as usual.  At some point is just doesn't matter.  The pharmacy where I was getting his prescription filled told me to come to the store armed when I got it filled and to never speak of it to anyone.  Apparently liquid hydrocodone was in high demand among the abuse set.  

His quality of life was much better on the drug than off it.  That's for dang sure.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:34:33 AM EDT
[#40]
It will be easier to get pot though. That won't get me through joint replacement.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:36:24 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

When my 91 -year-old aunt was at the end, she would have one or two beers and a couple cigarettes. Her sisters 87- 86 would gave her shit for smoking. I went to her doctor and asked him to write a prescription for two beers and four cigarettes a day. So they would leave her alone. He was more than happy, it's about quality of life.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:37:17 AM EDT
[#42]
We're well on our way to regulating modern medicine out of existence.

...and the idiots will cheer
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:49:33 AM EDT
[#43]
The bulk of the illicit hydrocodone is lifted BEFORE it gets to the pharmacy.  Little smurfs getting Dr. Feelgood to write them a 30 count supply of 10/500s are not the problem.

There are street dealers with access to 1000 count pharmacy packs of hydrocodone meds.  The DEA needs to clamp down on that side, not the doctor side.  Furthermore, many states have triplicate requirements for all narcs, meaning the state police keep a database of all seekers.  So not even a shady clinic doctor can scam the system.  I know that is how it is here in Texas.

For the record, I am currently on hydrocodone for post operative pain control.  I do not fear getting addicted to it, when the hydro wears off at 0230 in the morning, I wake up in the worst pain.  Then it takes 30 minutes for the next to quell the burning.  At least it reminds me to take the antibiotics so the wounds won't get infected.  I have lost 15 pounds in the past 4 days.  Doing little more than a few posts here a day.

Oh yeah, I have another 5 days until the sutures and splints come out.  IN MY NOSE.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:50:17 AM EDT
[#44]
This is great news, if you're a Mexican drug lord.

Ever since the decriminalization of weed, they've shifted their focus on heroin and cocaine, which is much more profitable and easier to smuggle in per-pound.

If a junkie can't get his fix from a pill, he'll turn to a powder. When he discovers that the Mexicans have upped their game in terms of quality control, he'll never even think of turning back.

Tell me again how we're winning the war on drugs? Prohibition redux.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:51:23 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View Quote

It means you get to go to the pharmacy every month and wait in line, instead of being given a six-month supply.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:51:47 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ummm ... so requiring one of the most abused prescription narcotics to be more tightly controlled will lead to the demise of modern medicine? Are you maybe exaggerating just a tad?

Do you have any reason to believe that people who really have a medical need for it won't be able to get it? Oh, wait ... they actually have to have a PRESCRIPTION? Oh noes ... that's too inconvenient!  

The people screaming the loudest are the ones abusing it.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:54:21 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

When my 91 -year-old aunt was at the end, she would have one or two beers and a couple cigarettes. Her sisters 87- 86 would gave her shit for smoking. I went to her doctor and asked him to write a prescription for two beers and four cigarettes a day. So they would leave her alone. He was more than happy, it's about quality of life.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, My wife's 93 year old grandmother goes through a handle of brandy every two weeks. She has a drink at 3pm every day and looks forward to it. Good for her, if I make it to 93 I'm going to take up drinking too.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:55:12 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
This type of thing is something I really don't like about the USA (Love you guys and the country).

Living in drug flooded Holland makes that I can go out my door right now and get any drug I want probably in less than 10 mins but guess what what I don't even smoke or drink (I call it personal responsibility an alien concept to some).

But the most important thing of all:

I HAVE NEVER MET/HEARD OF A JUNKY THAT STOPPED BECAYE HE?SHE COULD NOT GET HOLD OF DRUGS

Some stop because they get older, some stop because they want to get their life back on track some stop because of the effects on their surroundings but never the big red part.

View Quote

The same is true in any large city here as well, and if you change 10 minutes to an hour, it would apply everywhere but the remotest places.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:56:49 AM EDT
[#49]
I'll guarantee that this will have very little effect on abuse and have the side effect of getting a lot more people on Heroin.  More 'winning' in the war on drugs.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:57:50 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Ummm ... so requiring one of the most abused prescription narcotics to be more tightly controlled will lead to the demise of modern medicine? Are you maybe exaggerating just a tad?

Do you have any reason to believe that people who really have a medical need for it won't be able to get it? Oh, wait ... they actually have to have a PRESCRIPTION? Oh noes ... that's too inconvenient!  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You realize that doctors do get harassed for making prescriptions for opiates, right?

They are very careful who they hand the stuff out to, and even then they regulate the quantity.

Most doctors I know don't prescribe anything stronger than T3's even for major surgeries because of the stigma associated with opiates.

The people screaming the loudest are the prohibitionists up on their soapboxes. I believe that in a free country, you have the right to do whatever you goddamned well please with your body.

Clearly this country and its people do not fit the definition of "Free."

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top