Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 10:01:45 PM EDT
[#1]
The proper solution was to fire all of the striking workers for cutting work.

OTOH, most of the "protestors" were likely union goons posing as fast food workers.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 10:03:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Oooooor you could better yourself and move up.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 10:08:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I have stopped eating fast food at all, and I don't miss it one bit.  I'm not going back.

Link Posted: 10/24/2013 10:21:53 PM EDT
[#4]
actually, their real plan will be automation
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 10:27:59 PM EDT
[#5]
McFacepalm
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 10:32:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Is pay set by corporate?  I thought McD's were Franchise stores?

If not, or if pay is set by corporate, have a lay off lottery.  Anyone who want's higher pay can draw a ticket.

The lottery will fire 1/3rd of all participants, and those that remain split the newly available money.

The fired 1/3rd are barred from rehire for life.

Everyone who chooses not to participate stays at their same pay structure, and such.
Wonder how many takers there would be?
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 10:33:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If not, or if pay is set by corporate, have a lay off lottery.  Anyone who want's higher pay can draw a ticket.

The lottery will fire 1/3rd of all participants, and those that remain split the newly available money.

Everyone who chooses not to participate stays at their same pay structure, and such.

View Quote

Brilliant
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 10:35:39 PM EDT
[#8]
McRobots are right around the corner.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 10:36:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/24/2013 10:39:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

[manhug] no homo

Link Posted: 10/24/2013 10:47:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Damn

Was expecting a robot burger making machine lol
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 10:51:20 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Well.. that was different!

Link Posted: 10/24/2013 10:53:41 PM EDT
[#13]
If McDonald cannot pay their employees a livable wage the they should close their doors.

Fuck McDonald's tax payers should not have to subsidize their workforce.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 10:55:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Visual aids can also be very helpful...

Link Posted: 10/24/2013 10:58:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

What, you didn't take English in high school?
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 10:59:29 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

If McDonald cannot pay their employees a livable wage the they should close their doors.

View Quote

Great logic there, since then taxpayers would then have to foot the bill of an entire unemployed workforce...

Ever think of going to work for Obama?  With stratergery like that he could make you minister of finance!

Link Posted: 10/24/2013 11:01:54 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I went to a pretty shitty public school.
-ETA  You know all the required reading American students have been doing since the dawn of time?  Yea, never did that.  

Link Posted: 10/24/2013 11:20:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Great logic there, since then taxpayers would then have to foot the bill of an entire unemployed workforce...

Ever think of going to work for Obama?  With stratergery like that he could make you minister of finance!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ah fuckem, their food sucks and they don't pay thier employees enough to pay their power bill.
If not for tax payers subsidizing Mcshits work force the would be out of buisness.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 11:35:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Eta: Never mind, I'm wrong...
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 11:36:59 PM EDT
[#20]
I was hoping for Robots/Mechanization.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 11:39:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have stopped eating fast food at all, and I don't miss it one bit.  I'm not going back.

View Quote

I stopped eating McDonald's for about 3 months. Got a burger today, because I was in a hurry and it was my only option. Tasted like shit. When I eat fast food now, it is whataburger or jack in the box.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 11:41:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 11:52:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I stopped eating McDonald's for about 3 months. Got a burger today, because I was in a hurry and it was my only option. Tasted like shit. When I eat fast food now, it is whataburger or jack in the box.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here, except for hate chicken. Twice a month... delicious hate chicken
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 11:58:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wait, what?

Please tell me you're joking.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 12:02:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
they don't pay thier employees enough to pay their power bill.
View Quote

$7.25/hr x 8 hrs x 30 days = $1,740

If your power bill is $1,740 per month, you're probably growing something that pays enough to quit your job at McDonalds anyway...

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 12:03:08 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
ah fuckem, their food sucks and they don't pay thier employees enough to pay their power bill.

If not for tax payers subsidizing Mcshits work force the would be out of buisness.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How did you come to that conclusion?  
ETA- Do you also support the minimum wage laws to ensure people get paid enough?

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 12:06:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

What should McDonalds pay their employees? Please explain your reasoning and the impacts of such a change.

workers have organized protests around the country, including New York City, Los Angeles, Memphis and Detroit calling for a minimum wage of $15 an hour and the right to organize without retaliation.

The lack of understanding of simple math and basic economics is astounding...it's like dealing with McDonald's workers.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 12:25:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

If your power bill is $1,740 per month, you're probably growing something that pays enough to quit your job at McDonalds anyway...

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/7255/mo6a.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You work 30 days a month?
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 12:30:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
McRobots are right around the corner.
View Quote

That is not a solution, it is a bandaid.  As the bar for gainful employment is continually raised, we as a society need to have a serious conversation on how we're going to deal with having an ever increasing segment of the population that the economy simply can't employ/doesn't need.

Either you can get out in front of this problem or wait for someone else too.  If you want them to better themselves then you need to provide publicly funded job training and job placement.  If you want them to have a higher level of education then that system needs overhauled to end the crushing debt students take on.  On the other hand, you could contine to stand on a soap box and decry how they should better themselves or starve.  Which simply prolongs the problem/suffering and they'll simply continue to out vote you.  I know...bootstraps, but that's empty rehetoric that gives us the current situation of the public subsidizing these companies' business model through public assistance.  The bottom line is that we as a society have decided not to throw people to the wolves (mostly).  Either adapt to that reality and find a way to make a workable system that rewards effort or continue to bitch about the "communists taking over the country" on GD while the welfare state increases every year.  Or, continue to ignore the problem and simply mock those people.  What could possibly go wrong
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 12:38:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Inflation happens regardless of pay of fast food workers in my opinion. Fast food workers almost by definition have zero bargaining power, without intervention of wage in my opinion they'd be making an unfair wage and people would still be doing it without much choice, which as someone older with bargaining power don't see as a fair value on the work the unskilled workers do. In that respect I support intervention to set a minimum wage and for minimum wage to follow inflation, call me what you want :P.

Sure shouldn't be $15 at today's dollar though...
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 12:41:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
actually, their real plan will be automation
View Quote

I can't wait until the order screens are turned to face the customer.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 12:43:07 AM EDT
[#32]
One $250,000 automated hamburger maker at each store in the future and they won't have to worry about it. One maintenance guy for each multi store franchise is a lot cheaper than dealing with minimum wage hassles.

Minimum skill = minimum pay. If they could legally pay you less they would and could replace you with a half of a days notice.

My brother in law is a supervisor for a large franchise here. Because the economy never went into the toilet as much as the rest of the country they have a hard time getting people. They currently pay $11.00 starting pay and that's not bad in the south. A couple making $11/hour working 40 hours a week = $45k a year for basically no skills. My BIL started at McDonalds in high school making minimum wage and now makes 6 figures as a supervisor with a company car.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 1:01:56 AM EDT
[#33]

So these people want $600 a week to fuck up 50% of the orders in the drive thru at McDonald's? They've been working there for years? These are 30 Somethings that pump out kids and work at McDonald's? So these people aren't qualified to get a better paying job so there trying to BLACKMAIL McDonald's to pay them more? If I remember right, back in the 70-80's didn't kids work at McDonald's when they were in high school then moved on to better paying jobs after they got out of school? Has this country LOST IT'S FUCKING MIND?

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 1:07:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

So these people want $600 a week to fuck up 50% of the orders in the drive thru at McDonald's? They've been working there for years? These are 30 Somethings that pump out kids and work at McDonald's? So these people aren't qualified to get a better paying job so there trying to BLACKMAIL McDonald's to pay them more? If I remember right, back in the 70-80's didn't kids work at McDonald's when they were in high school then moved on to better paying jobs after they got out of school? Has this country LOST IT'S FUCKING MIND?

View Quote

In the 70s and 80s these people could goto a mill to earn a good living.  Those jobs are gone and this is the result.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 1:13:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

In the 70s and 80s these people could goto a mill to earn a good living.  Those jobs are gone and this is the result.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the result of an entitlement driven generation.  Not global workforce markets.

There are plenty of opportunities out there.  Real life doesn't hand you an award for just showing up.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 1:13:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 1:14:02 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Minimum wage jobs are for school kids to earn money while in school.

Not for people to spend their life at the bottom of the heap.  If they decide not paying bills or looking to improve to earn more, and then decide that's the time to add a family to the mix, then they have failed twice over.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 1:24:16 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
This is the result of an entitlement driven generation.  Not global workforce markets.

There are plenty of opportunities out there.  Real life doesn't hand you an award for just showing up.
View Quote

Where could these people goto, en mass, to earn a middle class living today?
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 1:28:09 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Not for people to spend their life at the bottom of the heap.  If they decide not paying bills or looking to improve to earn more, and then decide that's the time to add a family to the mix, then they have failed twice over.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

People don't understand this.

It's just like the "everyone gets a trophy" only now everyone should have a house, two cars, big screen TVs, and the latest fashions.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 1:48:31 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

There would be a lot but the losers would cry "unfair" and sue for their jobs back.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 1:53:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I was making that kind of money, I worked every minute they let me.
If someone is making that kind of money and struggling to pay their power bill, they ought to either work as much as they can, or reconsider their living situation.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 1:53:50 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/7678/7jdo.jpg
View Quote

my kids look at me in horror when I tell them how much I made for my first job after college/trade school.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 2:12:38 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

There would be a lot but the losers would cry "unfair" and sue for their jobs back.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Good point!
Make the 2/3rd that kept their job employee-owners, and personally liable...

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 2:17:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your avatar makes me happy.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 2:17:11 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, around my area, warehouse work starts at $15/hour.  Ads are in the paper (to the point of being obnoxious) every weekend.  

Waiting tables probably averages 12-14/hr.  Olive Garden, not the senior citizen's diner.

And there are still plenty of manufacturing jobs around here.  I see ads for welders the most.

Simply having a HS diploma and clean pee gets you twice minimum wage around here.  That's basically "just showing up" in the grand scheme of things.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 2:17:50 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I figured that's what it was.  We saw that in 7th grade.

Quoted:

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/7678/7jdo.jpg

Sometimes the simplest answer is the one they don't want to pay attention to.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 2:21:07 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Or people should not try to make a living at McDonalds. It should not be more than a side job for anybody past college.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 2:24:12 AM EDT
[#49]
"One double baco cheese burger...... It's for a cop."
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 2:26:49 AM EDT
[#50]
Union = copout for a dead beat. Most of the people at McD's would not improve their work performance no matter what wage they were paid.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top