Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2013 7:53:50 PM EDT
Sounds obvious but since I will not be shooting bench rest should I bother to bed my stock 10/22?

Any other accuracy enhancing ideas?

I'm going to do iron sights my first  time. If I don't get rifleman I'll use a scope on my 2nd appleseed.

Was going to get a quick mag release lever.

Link Posted: 10/24/2013 8:02:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Quick bolt release & target hammer -- saves a ton of frustration and the trigger does help with accuract
Tech Sights or scope
GI Sling
Two spare mags (total of 4) -- nice to have but not strictly necessary

That's all you need.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 8:08:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Biggest help I can think of for accuracy on the 10/22 is trigger work. And taking the barrel band off if yours has one. Having the bolt head spaced helps too.

Never done an Appleseed but want to.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 8:08:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quick bolt release & target hammer -- saves a ton of frustration and the trigger does help with accuract
Tech Sights or scope
GI Sling

That's all you need.  
View Quote

This guy has the right of it.
Ghost ring sites really do work.
I can't tell you how easy they are to install.
Hell, a cave man could do it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 8:09:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I put some money into a 10/22 with a new "match barrel" and a Kidd? trigger kit.  The trigger is better, however I don't think the rifle is any more accurate.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 8:09:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm going to do some documenting of modding a couple stock 10/22's this winter for just this purpose. I'm an Appleseed instructor and am always loaning my rifles out or helping friends get their rifles ready. Curious myself about two questions. How much accuracy is gained and how much sling influence there really is?

My plans are: Factory barrel free floated, pillar bed action, Tech Sights, QD sling sockets.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 8:10:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Just about FPNI.

I took my wood stock 10/22 added 1.25" swivels, GI sling, tech sights, and the bolt release.
If I ever get more 10/22s they will be identical to that!
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 8:10:48 PM EDT
[#7]
The gun is accurate enough for Appleseed stock from the factory.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 8:12:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I got my patch with a stock sporter 10/22(on the last round of the 2nd day though).  I wentwith my dad, and he probably would have got it on the same round as me, but the lady next to him shot his target, which invalidated it.    Would have been awesome to earn them together..
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 8:13:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I already have the tech gi sights installed.

Planning on a gi sling.

Buying a kidd mag release, extractor and guide rod-spring kit.

Link Posted: 10/24/2013 8:15:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a green mountain .920" heavy barrel and hogue stock but would that be too heavy to hold all day?
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 8:17:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Sounds obvious but since I will not be shooting bench rest should I bother to bed my stock 10/22?

I'm going to do iron sights my first  time. If I don't get rifleman I'll use a scope on my 2nd appleseed.

View Quote

bedding is not needed. put in a trigger kit. then try different ammo..... after this the most you will need is a barrel, but honestly, a new stock, would be the cheapest way to go, as its probably the problem. instal a hogue stock, or really ANY stock that does not use the barrel band, and you will see a huge improvement . the biggest problem with 10/22's is the trigger, and the barrel band screwing up accuracy.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 8:17:48 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I already have the tech gi sights installed.

Planning on a gi sling.

Buying a kidd mag release, extractor and guide rod-spring kit.

View Quote
Peep sights and a sling are all you need.

The stock sights

Seriously, shot my first Appleseed with a stock 10/22 I bout at a pawn shop, did just fine.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 8:19:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Bed the action free float the barrel. Glue barrel to action. Trigger job. access hole in back of action or proper cleaning.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 8:47:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Bed the action free float the barrel. Glue barrel to action. Trigger job. access hole in back of action or proper cleaning.
View Quote

Huh, I just had a long conversation with my brother.
He shoots some kind of match with an M1 Garand and in the winter he shoots a .22 of some type,
None of them, his words here, get cleaned until the season is over unless they are shooting funny.

Just saying is all.

ETA: I offer this in reference to the cleaning section of your post. As far as I am concerned the rest of it is solid advice.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 8:52:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

bedding is not needed. put in a trigger kit. then try different ammo..... after this the most you will need is a barrel, but honestly, a new stock, would be the cheapest way to go, as its probably the problem. instal a hogue stock, or really ANY stock that does not use the barrel band, and you will see a huge improvement . the biggest problem with 10/22's is the trigger, and the barrel band screwing up accuracy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can someone explain to me in layman terms why the barrel band affects accuracy ? Serious question as I am unclear on this.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 9:05:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My ruger did not come with a barrel band, it's the compact version.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 9:08:25 PM EDT
[#17]
P.S. the biggest problem with accuracy is me and that is the reason I go  
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 9:14:05 PM EDT
[#18]
All you need. Keep it light & simple. The HB does help with breathing and finding/holding NPA

More than really necessary but a good scope will help 'old eyes'

You want the bolt release mod and a good mag release lever. A mag coupler is also a 'nice to have' item
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 9:16:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have a green mountain .920" heavy barrel and hogue stock but would that be too heavy to hold all day?
View Quote

Not at all. I found the heavier the better. First day I used might lightweight AR, second day I used my heavy AR and found it much steadier in the positions utilized and shot two riflemans scores.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 9:17:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not at all. I found the heavier the better. First day I used my lightweight AR, second day I used my heavy AR and found it much steadier in the positions utilized and shot two riflemans scores.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 9:20:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
All you need. Keep it light & simple. The HB does help with breathing and finding/holding NPA

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k11/Kevyn_53/DSCF2151-1_zps4e93a4dc.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k11/Kevyn_53/DSCF2149-1_zps8aa4e8c4.jpg

You want the bolt release mod and a good mag release lever. A mag coupler is also a 'nice to have' item
View Quote

That heavy barrel adds a lot of weight...so you're saying the weight keeps the rifle steady?
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 9:21:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Not at all. I found the heavier the better. First day I used my lightweight AR, second day I used my heavy AR and found it much steadier in the positions utilized and shot two riflemans scores.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to know, thanks.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 9:35:51 PM EDT
[#23]
When slung up in a proper fashion weight is not a handicap.

A crappy trigger is a huge handicap , most stock ruger triggers are poor

Ammo is a huge factor . For Appleseed and usual appleseed guns it isn't necessary to spend $20 a box for eley 10X but standard velocity target ammo will perform way better than high velocity in most any gun .

Many 10/22s take a bit of tweaking to handle standard velocity ammo .

Fit peep sights or go to optics , standard 10/22 irons don't really cut the mustard
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 9:46:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Can someone explain to me in layman terms why the barrel band affects accuracy ? Serious question as I am unclear on this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

the barrel band causes issues with vibration, and with heat, as the barrel heats up the band restricts it from behaving in a normal manner each time. just tighting, or loosening the barrel band screw will mess up groups. there is a reason 99% of firearms do not use barrel bands.

i had a ruger 10/22 international, with the full length stock, the stock on it, contacts the end of the barrel by the muzzle, and that gun was terrible at holding groups. next time you go shooting, try a few groups with the band on...... and then with it off. there will be a difference.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 9:55:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Tech Sights or scope
GI Sling

That's all you need.  
View Quote

Mostly, this.

I did okay with just the M-1 web (cotton) sling and quick mag release being my only upgrades, but there's a lot of value in having a better bolt release, more mags, and the Tech Sights (or scope).
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 9:58:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

the barrel band causes issues with vibration, and with heat, as the barrel heats up the band restricts it from behaving in a normal manner each time. just tighting, or loosening the barrel band screw will mess up groups. there is a reason 99% of firearms do not use barrel bands.

i had a ruger 10/22 international, with the full length stock, the stock on it, contacts the end of the barrel by the muzzle, and that gun was terrible at holding groups. next time you go shooting, try a few groups with the band on...... and then with it off. there will be a difference.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

Barrel harmonics can be a bitch, even on a .22 rifle.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 12:25:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Can you give specs on your top rifle.

Looks like a Hogue stock, Green barrel, tech sites?

I like your build and am looking to build something similar.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 12:37:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have the same except the front tech sight. I have the green heavy barrel but my front tech sight is for the stock ruger barrel.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 12:37:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had a Iver Johnson M1 carbine. I loved that little gun. Fun as hell to shoot but the barrel band gave me nothing but headaches. It kept working loose no matter what I did. I vowed to never own another banded rifle.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 12:50:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Barrel band removal:
I like the look of my barrel band. If it contacts the barrel, just remove it, and sand out the underside of the aluminum band. In 15 minutes your band won't touch the barrel. I did the same to take up the extra space that the sling swivel added to the barrel band - sand it down till I had a snug fit.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 12:54:14 PM EDT
[#31]
KIDD is all you need to know. I have one and it rocks!
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 12:59:48 PM EDT
[#32]
... spend all you want, the economy needs it.

But, this will do JUST fine for your 10/22: http://www.eabco.com/store/ruger-10/22-accessories/ruger-10/22-hammer-and-sear-pkg/

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top