Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2013 2:10:04 PM EDT
I am a(next month) 41 year old Type 1 Diabetic in reasonably good health otherwise.  Maybe a few pounds overweight (5'9" 190 pounds)

I am used to my extremities sometimes being a little numb.  Feet, if I sit on them for any length of time, fingers and toes occasionally.  

Today, as I am sitting at my desk at work, my right thigh (groin to knee) is completely numb.  All the way around.  Foot is fine, toes are feeling ok, but my thigh, it's like someone jabbed me with a big ass shot of novocain.  
To be honest, it's kinda got me freaked out a little.  

Am I gonna die?  Is there anything I should be concerned about this?
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 2:11:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Problem is in the wires not the plumbing
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 2:13:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Not a doc, but sounds more like a nerve issue than blood flow restriction.

Link Posted: 10/24/2013 2:17:34 PM EDT
[#3]

Without examining you or being able to obtain a history in person, my best guess is Meralgia Paraesthetica

It's a pinching of the Antero-lateral Femoral Cutaneous Nerve of the Thigh here:

The key to diagnosing it is the lack of weakness (that nerve supplies no muscles), the area that is affected can include the lateral thigh and anterior thigh but not the posterior or medial thigh, and the symptoms do not go below the knee.  The other possibilities include a pinched nerve in your back but that presents differently.

Diabetes and significant weight gain or being overweight are risk factors.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 2:24:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Without examining you or being able to obtain a history in person, my best guess is Meralgia Paraesthetica

It's a pinching of the Antero-lateral Femoral Cutaneous Nerve of the Thigh here:

http://www.wehealny.org/services/bi_nervecenter/images/meralgia_tunnel.jpg

The key to diagnosing it is the lack of weakness (that nerve supplies no muscles), the area that is affected can include the lateral thigh and anterior thigh but not the posterior or medial thigh, and the symptoms do not go below the knee.  The other possibilities include a pinched nerve in your back but that presents differently.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/images/image_popup/ans7_lateral_femoral.jpg

View Quote

That sounds about right.  I can walk, no problems.  I can put all my weight on it.  It's just like that segment of my leg isn't there.  Thanks.  

Should I go to my GP right away? Or will it dissipate on it's own?  
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 2:29:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I have p.a.d. And my legs are numb from the knees down. I had to have an aortic bypass or doc said I would lose my legs. Get it checked out. Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 2:30:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Are you fingers/toenails blue at all?

if you squeeze your toenail how soon does it his back from white to pink? Less than 2 sec is normal.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 2:38:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I am a(next month) 41 year old Type 1 Diabetic in reasonably good health otherwise.  Maybe a few pounds overweight (5'9" 190 pounds)

I am used to my extremities sometimes being a little numb.  Feet, if I sit on them for any length of time, fingers and toes occasionally.  

Today, as I am sitting at my desk at work, my right thigh (groin to knee) is completely numb.  All the way around.  Foot is fine, toes are feeling ok, but my thigh, it's like someone jabbed me with a big ass shot of novocain.  
To be honest, it's kinda got me freaked out a little.  

Am I gonna die?  Is there anything I should be concerned about this?
View Quote

I get that once in a while if I have my car keys in a front pocket. Weird but true
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 2:45:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That sounds about right.  I can walk, no problems.  I can put all my weight on it.  It's just like that segment of my leg isn't there.  Thanks.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would not consider this urgent but I have to leave it up to you to decide as I haven't examined you or seen you in person.  Are you overweight?  Fatty tissue from inside the pelvis/lower abdomen pushes the nerve against the inguinal ligament.  Weight loss can reduce that pressure.  Laying down can help relieve the pressure, but if you are going to sleep you can paradoxically feel more pain/numbness as your mind focuses on it and is not distracted like it is during the day.  

Another thing that can cause it but is less common is wearing a heavy belt that digs into the nerve from the outside.  

Yet another even less common cause is an actual blockage of a tiny blood vessel in the nerve itself causing an infarct of the nerve.  This is usually painful but can resolve over time.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 4:25:05 PM EDT
[#9]
More than a few.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:17:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I would not consider this urgent but I have to leave it up to you to decide as I haven't examined you or seen you in person.  Are you overweight?  Fatty tissue from inside the pelvis/lower abdomen pushes the nerve against the inguinal ligament.  Weight loss can reduce that pressure.  Laying down can help relieve the pressure, but if you are going to sleep you can paradoxically feel more pain/numbness as your mind focuses on it and is not distracted like it is during the day.  

Another thing that can cause it but is less common is wearing a heavy belt that digs into the nerve from the outside.  

Yet another even less common cause is an actual blockage of a tiny blood vessel in the nerve itself causing an infarct of the nerve.  This is usually painful but can resolve over time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I could stand to lose a few pounds, but I would not consider myself overweight per se.  5'9" 185-190
It's funny you mention a heavy belt.  I just started wearing a new concealed carry leather belt a few weeks ago.  I'll try to loosen it a little.  
So far, it hasn't occured again.  At least not today.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:11:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I could stand to lose a few pounds, but I would not consider myself overweight per se.  5'9" 185-190
It's funny you mention a heavy belt.  I just started wearing a new concealed carry leather belt a few weeks ago.  I'll try to loosen it a little.  
View Quote

No disrespect, but Horseshit!

I am 6'0" tall and if I weighed 190, I would be "overweight", i.e. fat.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 11:38:35 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm 6'0" also and if I weighed under 200, I would look anorexic.

Not everyone is built the same, blame it on Neanderthal genes if you want, but some people are just built different.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 11:45:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 12:37:04 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  

I'm 6'0" also and if I weighed under 200, I would look anorexic.

Not everyone is built the same, blame it on Neanderthal genes if you want, but some people are just built different.

Sorry, I'm with Him.  I'm sure you wouldn't look anorexic at 185, but it's easier to justify what you're holding on to that way.  The OP is more than few lbs overweight unless he's all solid BB.com muscle.  A lean 5'9" would probably be in the 160s.

Bracing myself for the backlash of super-buff guys and "could stand to lose 10lbs (but really 30)" guys alike.

No doubt, plenty of people delude themselves, but calling someone fat without knowing their build is a tad out of line.

He could be 10 pounds over or he could be 30 over, without a BF% we don't know.

And when we don't know the man's build but we do know there are people who are built with more muscle and larger frames, it is quite obnoxious to ASSume they are fat.

As to your opinion, for me to get down to 185 without losing muscle it would take a negative BF%, I'm just that muscular.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 4:20:31 PM EDT
[#15]
I love it when a 2.5 sigma individual shows up and says that the rest of the curve is bullshit.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 4:42:37 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I love it when a 2.5 sigma individual shows up and says that the rest of the curve is bullshit.
View Quote

I love it when people have to resort to an ad hominem attack combined with a strawman fallacy because they lack the capability to dispute the fact that it is obnoxious to call someone fat without knowledge of that person's actual physical condition or the character to admit the conduct was obnoxious whether accurate or not.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 4:54:26 PM EDT
[#17]
5'10" 140lbs.  Yup I look anorexic.   Lost 8 pounds after my back surgery due to the pain patch I was on, took away my appetite,, just cant gain it back.  Pisses the wife off
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:22:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I love it when people have to resort to an ad hominem attack combined with a strawman fallacy because they lack the capability to dispute the fact that it is obnoxious to call someone fat without knowledge of that person's actual physical condition or the character to admit the conduct was obnoxious whether accurate or not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you read the post, I said "........ I would be "overweight" i.e. fat.

I was careful not to say that the OP was (is?) fat."
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:47:35 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you were to read YOUR post carefully you would observe that you said "No disrespect, but Horseshit!"

If you did not mean to call the OP fat when you stated "No disrespect, but Horseshit!" then you have my sincerest apologies.

But I do not think that is the case so to your reply I say, no disrespect, but horseshit!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top