Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/15/2002 6:43:22 PM EDT
I read on another board that there were 58000 Canadians who served in the US forces in Vietnam.....

This I knew to be a fact...

They also said that some 5000 died there and are on the memorial wall..

Is this a fact??

If so it amazes me....
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 7:12:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Last night on the Canadian History Television channel they had a great show on Canadians in Vietnam, very informative and heart warming. Did you catch it Stormbringer2? The numbers they flew around were 40000+ serving and around 150 KIA. But still good to know more of us went there to fight, then draft dodgers came this way.
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 7:14:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 7:15:18 PM EDT
[#3]
There's a Canadian Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Windsor, apparantly.

[url=http://www.glanmore.org/cdncas/northwall2002.html]Here are the names inscribed on it[/url].

I think the numbers you've read are greatly exagerated.  Canada only fielded some 26 thousands in the Korean War, and I doubt more than twice that number would move to the states to enlist.  Now, if you mean they were born in Canada, but became naturalized citizens of the US, then I can buy the figures.  Otherwise, no.

~EDIT:  After some admittedly cursory research, I found the figure 1200 served, 80 KIA, which is in line with the number of names on the memorial.
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 5:46:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Now, if you mean they were born in Canada, but became naturalized citizens of the US, then I can buy the figures. Otherwise, no.
View Quote

I knew at least two Canadian citizens that served in units with me in the Army in the 60's.  They were both draftees, were immigrant aliens and still Canadian citizens.
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 5:48:56 AM EDT
[#5]
I also ran across the fact that there were British soldiers in 'Nam, too. Don't know how many though, or any other details.
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 5:51:00 AM EDT
[#6]
The actual numbers given on the Canadian history channel show the other night were 40,000 (est) served.
110 confirmed dead, 7 MIA.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top