Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2013 5:58:33 AM EDT
I am thinking of buying some Silver dollars and was wondering about those generic silver rounds that are widely available.
I know they have no collector value and since they have the same silver content as the silver eagles is their any other advantage of getting the government minted coins vs a generic of the same silver content??
I own some old silver coins my late mother left me that consist of dimes and a few 1922 peace dollars but other than that I am new to this.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 6:01:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I try to get the most silver for my money. Generic rounds are fine
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 6:01:30 AM EDT
[#2]
You will get better prices selling an Am. Eagle over a generic bullion round.  Plus they are just much cooler.  
In my opinion, stick with Am. Eagles and Morgan/Peace dollars.  You will be happier in the long run.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 6:03:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You will get better prices selling an Am. Eagle over a generic bullion round.  Plus they are just much cooler.  
In my opinion, stick with Am. Eagles and Morgan/Peace dollars.  You will be happier in the long run.
View Quote

Why exactly would you get more for the eagle than the generic if the silver content is the very same?
I could understand if it was a rare coin.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 6:04:00 AM EDT
[#4]
I like to stick with easily identifiable bullion.  Although anything can be counterfeited, when selling it is easier to move Eagles, and Canadian Maples.

Maples are available for a lower price over spot, so I think that's a better deal for the price sensitive.

Once/if you have a large amount of silver, you can start considering 10 and 100oz bars for the lowest acquisition price.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 6:04:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Why exactly would you get more for the eagle than the generic if the silver content is the very same?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because it has a higher level of authenticity, and has a much higher demand.  Supply and demand works in all areas of commerce.

To educate yourself - tulving posts their sell, and buy prices.

http://tulving.com/goldbull.html
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 6:07:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because people know what they are, and there is a little numismatic value to them as well.  People are less likely to question buying a .gov minted coin rather than something that could be made in a factory who knows where.  Nothing wrong with generic bullion and I started out with that as well.  
BUT, once you start collecting, if you have any interest in numismatics, you will wish you had AE's or Morgans.
But its not necessarily the right way to go either.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 6:11:49 AM EDT
[#7]
I buy silver purely for investing in silver, so I buy it in the cheapest form.  For me that seems to be silver bars.  It is true that coins will sell for more, however they cost more.  If the value of silver increases the increase will be relative to the cost of silver not its vehicle.  For example

1 oz silver bar = 23.64
1 oz silver coin  = 25.34
1 oz silver bullion = 23.54 (cheapest!)

If the price of silver goes up by $1.00 the price for all three goes up a $1.00 and thus not getting more for the coins.  This in quantity can mean that investing in coins can limit the amount of silver you buy and the amount of money you make.  

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 6:13:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I like to stick with easily identifiable bullion.  Although anything can be counterfeited, when selling it is easier to move Eagles, and Canadian Maples.

Maples are available for a lower price over spot, so I think that's a better deal for the price sensitive.

Once/if you have a large amount of silver, you can start considering 10 and 100oz bars for the lowest acquisition price.
View Quote

I will definitely check into those Maples.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 6:15:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Why are you buying the silver?  If its just for the sake of owning silver don't pay a premium for collector coins if you have no interest in that.  I have many coins that are made of precious metal, but they aren't in my pm collection, they are separate in my coin and money collection.  The silver and gold I have for investment are generic bars and rounds.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 6:15:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Just buy 10oz bars or larger. Silver is a pain literally to move around its to heavy. Gold is better, platinum is best but to volatile.  Unless you expect total collapse why pay the higher rate for actual coinage as opposed to bullion.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 6:15:43 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm going to confuse you even more. Some bars and rounds DO have collector value and sell for even more per ounce than silver eagles or maples. Way more.

Regarding platinum, platinum bullion or coins are NOT very liquid. It can be much harder to sell than gold or silver in any form.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 6:16:19 AM EDT
[#12]
ASEs and junk for me
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 6:19:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I buy silver purely for investing in silver, so I buy it in the cheapest form.  For me that seems to be silver bars.  It is true that coins will sell for more, however they cost more.  If the value of silver increases the increase will be relative to the cost of silver not its vehicle.  For example

1 oz silver bar = 23.64

If the price of silver goes up by $1.00 the price for all three goes up a $1.00 and thus not getting more for the coins.  This in quantity can mean that investing in coins can limit the amount of silver you buy and the amount of money you make.  

View Quote

Thanks.
That was enlightening.
I plan on spending around $500 to get started.
Where do you guys buy.
Local?
I am a little ill at ease to have that kind of stuff shipped.
I know I should'nt as after all I have bought many firearms that had to be shipped but they went to my ffl and not directly to the house.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 6:21:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Ampex is great to buy from. I also bought silver mint sets at below spot . Some years are not very collectible. I own a little of everything . Diversity works.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 6:21:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
ASEs and junk for me
View Quote

I buy whatever comes through the door at my pawnshop. Silver Eagles, Maples, U.S. and Canadian junk silver, broken jewelry, flatware . . . just about any silver other than industrial silver electrical contacts . . . I like silver . . .

My favorites are probably the Silver Eagles, though. They're pretty.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 6:23:54 AM EDT
[#16]
check this...
https://comparesilverprices.com/

I tend to buy from http://www.jmbullion.com/

keep shipping costs in mind.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 6:25:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Thanks.
That was enlightening.
Where do you guys buy.
Local?
I know I should'nt as after all I have bought many firearms that had to be shipped but they went to my ffl and not directly to the house.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1 oz silver bar = 23.64

Thanks.
That was enlightening.
Where do you guys buy.
Local?

Provident Metals   or   APMEX

I've had MANY orders with both over the years,  never had any issues.  Provident  has  better  shipping  rates,
and usually a little cheaper spot pricing.

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 6:27:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Post 1 nailed it. Personally I prefer to get well-known mints, like Sunshine Mint.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 6:30:02 AM EDT
[#19]
I like all kinds, but I think the Panda's have more collector value over time and will command more on sale than just the silver content.
I also like the Kookaburra as They are very nice coins.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 6:31:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Where do you guys buy.
View Quote

My top 4 favorite places to order from, in order:

JMBullion.com
ProvidentMetals.com
GainesvilleCoins.com
AMPEX.com
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 6:32:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

JMBullion.com
ProvidentMetals.com
GainesvilleCoins.com
AMPEX.com
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where do you guys buy.

JMBullion.com
ProvidentMetals.com
GainesvilleCoins.com
AMPEX.com

These and
Silvertowne , Goldmart ,and the Precious metals section of the EE.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 6:37:28 AM EDT
[#22]
apmex or bullion direct online.  I too generally stick to whatever is the cheapest I can get, but I do have some American Eagles, Philharmonics, and Maples to add some variety.  You need to identify why you are buying silver.  If it is to wait for it to go up a bit, then sell, you will get spot price plus a small premium for the Maples, Eagles, etc. for generic rounds you will be lucky to get a dealer to offer you spot.  If you are keeping silver a hedge against inflation, give to your grandchildren, or melt down into bullets for warewolf control you are better off with generic rounds.

Back in 1964 a gallon of gas was $  .30.  You could buy a gallon of gas for a quarter.  Today that same 1964 quarter which is 90% silver is worth $4.10.  Enough to buy that same gallon of gas.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 7:03:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
apmex or bullion direct online.  I too generally stick to whatever is the cheapest I can get, but I do have some American Eagles, Philharmonics, and Maples to add some variety.  You need to identify why you are buying silver.  If it is to wait for it to go up a bit, then sell, you will get spot price plus a small premium for the Maples, Eagles, etc. for generic rounds you will be lucky to get a dealer to offer you spot.  If you are keeping silver a hedge against inflation, give to your grandchildren, or melt down into bullets for warewolf control you are better off with generic rounds.

Back in 1964 a gallon of gas was $  .30.  You could buy a gallon of gas for a quarter.  Today that same 1964 quarter which is 90% silver is worth $4.10.  Enough to buy that same gallon of gas.
View Quote

All very valid points.
I am buying just to have something that will hopefully go up in value and to hand down to my daughter when I check out of motel earth.
I have the money for sure as well as plenty of guns and ammo.
Speaking of which a fair amount of .22 LR.
Just wanted something of value to place away.
I seriously doubt I will lose money on it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 7:13:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

FPNI
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 7:58:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

This.

FPNI
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

FPNI

+1
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:56:24 AM EDT
[#26]
I want to thank you guys for getting back with your suggestions.
I went to a local place yesterday that was selling for the month of October only those NTR rounds for $1.75 over spot and after looking at the comparesilverprices site and figuring in the shipping I paid just a couple of bucks more to just go through these guys.
Spent a total of $490 for a roll of twenty.
Wouldn't you know I walked in there to buy right at yesterdays peak price of silver.
There was a guy just completing a transaction for 400 of those rounds.
What a wad of money that was sitting on the counter!!
I am thinking if the prices don't go crazy I will buy a roll of twenty of the Eagles next.
Damn gold is high!!
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:59:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Verifiable things tend to bring higher prices from a (rightly) paranoid market. I'd always preferred serialed Engelhard bars for that reason. Anyone can confirm with Engelhard that it is, in fact, real.

There are SO freaking many Chinese fakes out there.

Quoted:
I like all kinds, but I think the Panda's have more collector value over time and will command more on sale than just the silver content.
View Quote

While the Chinese fake everything from our Morgans to Peace dollars complete with fake slabs and fake holograms, they turn out fake Pandas by the hundreds of thousands. I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole. I assume they're alloy, period.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:03:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Bullion for me.

Have been having excellent luck with Silvertowne, free shipping!
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:08:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Verifiable things tend to bring higher prices from a (rightly) paranoid market. I'd always preferred serialed Engelhard bars for that reason. Anyone can confirm with Engelhard that it is, in fact, real.

While the Chinese fake everything from our Morgans to Peace dollars complete with fake slabs and fake holograms, they turn out fake Pandas by the hundreds of thousands. I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole. I assume they're alloy, period.

http://www.pandacollector.com/1999-10Y-silver-cf-comp.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep. Most people who LOVE Pandas have never tried to sell them. Many LCS won't buy them at all. And if you are planning to sell to Apmex, etc. be prepared to wait several weeks for your check while they get authenticated.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:11:18 AM EDT
[#30]
I stack 90% coins for bulk  because I can buy them by the roll locally with cash for spot or just a hair over spot. I collect world government silver and gold coins.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:35:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. Plus I have a few 10 & 1oz bars and some junk silver. A small ammo can will hold 24 tubes for rounds or junk, 6x10oz bars and 18x1oz bars. A full can is heavy (appx 35lbs) but still easily portable. I've had excellent results w/Provident.
Tomac
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:29:51 AM EDT
[#32]
What are you investing in silver for. If the crap really hits the fan
you can forget about collector value. I would and do only invest in junk
silver coins minted by the US mint. Nothing over .25 face value
because you will pay more for .50 and 1.00 coins. If you like purty
shiny things then go ahead and buy the high dollar silver. If you just
want to speculate in the market buy plain bars or rounds.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:45:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
What are you investing in silver for. If the crap really hits the fan
you can forget about collector value. I would and do only invest in junk
silver coins minted by the US mint. Nothing over .25 face value
because you will pay more for .50 and 1.00 coins. If you like purty
shiny things then go ahead and buy the high dollar silver. If you just
want to speculate in the market buy plain bars or rounds.
View Quote

To be honest with you I sort of like the look of the Eagle and intend to give at least four away in those nice velvet type coin holders for Christmas.
The rest I will keep.
I doubt I will give serious thought about buying only Eagles.
Generic for me at least is the best price for the silver.
Quick question for you guys that buy the bulk bagged silver change.
When you get it do you actually count it to see if you got what you paid for??
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:49:55 AM EDT
[#34]
I buy junk silver from a local shop.
He has been doing around $17-18 per face $1 when spot is around $22.
I can get 10 dimes, 4 quarters or 2 half or any combo and I can pick them and choose the year, mint mark or condidtion.
And I can pay cash.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:59:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Yep. Most people who LOVE Pandas have never tried to sell them. Many LCS won't buy them at all. And if you are planning to sell to Apmex, etc. be prepared to wait several weeks for your check while they get authenticated.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

That has always been my fear of them.  That's probably why I have only one: A half-ounce Panda.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:06:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Pandas as close to spot price as you can get from a solid dealer.  

In ten years from now you will thank me.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:14:33 AM EDT
[#37]
I'm not a bullion collector, I'm a coin collector.
I have some silver, but it's all in pre-65 U.S. Coins.
For me, it's as much my enjoyment of having pieces of history as it is having a PM.

I like old dollars and halves...they will always have numismatic value, they are still legal tender, and they are 90% silver.

Nothing wrong with bullion bars and rounds, just not my thing.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:15:13 AM EDT
[#38]
After you start picking up new Pandas you will want to end up going for more unique ones

The 98 1/10 and the ANA and the Munich medal were bought for just over spot for the guys that know about them
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:18:55 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I am thinking of buying some Silver dollars and was wondering about those generic silver rounds that are widely available.
I know they have no collector value and since they have the same silver content as the silver eagles is their any other advantage of getting the government minted coins vs a generic of the same silver content??
I own some old silver coins my late mother left me that consist of dimes and a few 1922 peace dollars but other than that I am new to this.
View Quote

Govt minted coins have a higher premium but are easier to sell. Generics have a lower premium but fetch below spot from coin stores if you sell. Semi numismatics like Pandas, Kooks, Lunars, Elephants, and low mintage series gain collectors value as well. Look for sales and free shipping deals. What may seem like a good price may not be when you factor in cc fees and shipping. Provident and APmex are both top notch.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:32:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
After you start picking up new Pandas you will want to end up going for more unique ones

http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j330/Austinfarrell/2011-08-23_19-43-14_514.jpg
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g44/stpeteaustin/20130923_185634_zps466c13b8.jpg
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g44/stpeteaustin/medal2.jpg

The 98 1/10 and the ANA and the Munich medal were bought for just over spot for the guys that know about them
View Quote

But , But , They might be counterfit !!!!!  
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:47:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Get both. I have some generic and some name brand (maples and american eagles)
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:47:18 AM EDT
[#42]
I have bought and sold a good number of Pandas and other CMC over the last four years and I have only ended up buying one "Bad Bear".  It went down to NGC and when I took it to the shop I bought it from I got a full refund.  

Yes there are fakes out there but if you start out buying from Panda America or Gainesville coins you should be ok.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:55:25 AM EDT
[#43]
Just never touch Sovereigns!

Way too many fakes around (aka, don't buy the ones I want)

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:28:21 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I have bought and sold a good number of Pandas and other CMC over the last four years and I have only ended up buying one "Bad Bear".  It went down to NGC and when I took it to the shop I bought it from I got a full refund.  

Yes there are fakes out there but if you start out buying from Panda America or Gainesville coins you should be ok.
View Quote

And sell to whom?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:33:06 AM EDT
[#45]
I like bullion as its easily identifiable and you can gouge when you resell assuming you're reselling without beingdesp erate
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:41:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

And sell to whom?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And sell to whom?

I have sold on Ebay, at coin shows
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:47:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Because it has a higher level of authenticity, and has a much higher demand.  Supply and demand works in all areas of commerce.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:52:56 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Just buy 10oz bars or larger. Silver is a pain literally to move around its to heavy. Gold is better, platinum is best but to volatile.  Unless you expect total collapse why pay the higher rate for actual coinage as opposed to bullion.
View Quote
Eagles are very easy to sell locally if you need to raise a bit of cash.  Offhand, I don't know of anyplace locally that buys 10 oz bars.  Also, 10 lbs of silver is worth over $3000; I don't think of that as being a pain to move.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:58:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Also, 10 lbs of silver is worth over $3000; I don't think of that as being a pain to move.

View Quote

It is when You can have 20, 1/10 gold coins for the same cost / value.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top