Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2013 11:47:07 AM EDT

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. —

A central Florida body armor business is under investigation by the state because of sales made at gun shows.

Investigators with the Florida Department of Law Enforcement said they believe the owners of Alpha Sports in Ocoee produced and sold counterfeit body armor.

According to investigators, the armor was sold at gun shows across the state.

Channel 9 has learned that at an afternoon press conference Monday, FDLE agents will be announcing the arrest of former Ocoee
<del style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; white-space: normal; text-decoration: line-through; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: red;"></del>City Commissioner Scott Anderson and two of his business partners, Arami Rodriguez and Scott Williams.

Channel 9 was told the investigation started when someone who bought
<del style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; white-space: normal; text-decoration: line-through; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: red;"></del>bulletproof vests that were advertised as being made by Point Blank Body Armor became concerned about the vests' authenticity.

Authorities said Point Blank outfits 80 percent of the
<del style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; white-space: normal; text-decoration: line-through; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: red;"></del>law-enforcement agencies in the state.

A representative from Point Blank told Channel 9's Karla Ray that the company tested the suspect bulletproof vests at a lab in Pompano Beach and
<del style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; white-space: normal; text-decoration: line-through; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: red;"></del>bullets passed through the vests.

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/21/2013 11:48:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow counterfeit Vests.  That is fucking crazy.  

Link Posted: 10/21/2013 11:48:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Things will get very amusing when Alpha Sports turns over their buyer list so that the feds can inform them they've purchased counterfeit goods.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 11:49:18 AM EDT
[#3]
That's fucked up!
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 11:50:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Bright side: Maybe some of it made its way to the Cartel.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 11:58:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bright side: Maybe some of it made its way to the Cartel.
View Quote

Did they sell some to Eric Holder?
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 12:01:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow, that's fucked. How would you like to find out your vest was a fake after being shot.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 12:07:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Bumping for others.  I will check the hometown forum and make sure they know as well.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 12:14:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Your money back if it fails to work.  

Link Posted: 10/21/2013 12:27:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.switched.com/media/2007/10/daffy.jpg

View Quote

Why would you buy a vest at a gunshow?  Perusing FL laws, there are only restrictions for felons.  

I buy mine on clearance from Galls.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 12:31:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Or the feds want you to think it's fake so you turn it in.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:56:37 AM EDT
[#11]
The irony of this is LE doesn't even like the every-day citizen having body armor, yet they're going after the people selling fake stuff because it's a public health risk to the "consumers".

So are they protecting the people or commerce?

I could see if they were arresting these guys to protect their own... but what are the odds an LEO is dumb enough to buy cheap body armor at a gun show?

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 11:10:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The irony of this is LE doesn't even like the every-day citizen having body armor, yet they're going after the people selling fake stuff because it's a public health risk to the "consumers".

So are they protecting the people or commerce?

I could see if they were arresting these guys to protect their own... but what are the odds an LEO is dumb enough to buy cheap body armor at a gun show?

View Quote

Around here the odds are great. Bunch of Bubba's
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 11:11:44 AM EDT
[#13]
First I've heard of this and it's local to me. He was a City Commissioner for several years.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 11:22:50 AM EDT
[#14]
That was a ="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; white-space: normal; text-decoration: line-through; font-family: pain to read.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 11:23:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Why would you buy a vest at a gunshow?  Perusing FL laws, there are only restrictions for felons.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.switched.com/media/2007/10/daffy.jpg

This. Armor is on the list of things I'd NEVER buy from a gunshow.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top