Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/19/2013 9:23:57 PM EDT
Just curious as to how yall deal with burnout.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 9:27:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Booze
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 9:27:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Alcohol.

I had a 2 year project that was so stressful and I had multiple nervous breakdowns on, now everything seems easy in comparison, 4 years later on.  I have not taken vacation since the Bush administration, I don't need or want one.  Everything is so easy in comparison.  I have a much better job now in the same company, more money, more interesting work, more fun, better boss and none of the stress.

Link Posted: 10/19/2013 9:28:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Find a new job.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 9:28:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Drink more.

I work in a career field that is soul sucking- healthcare.

It has it's rewards but holy shit it can be a drain.

But in all honesty I work out more and just got an electric guitar to start playing as yet another outlet.

Find something enjoyable to do after work.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 9:29:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Every time someone burns us out we just rebuild and start all over.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 9:31:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I have 5 acres to dick around on all day long on my time away from the ER, a huge garden and a motorcycle. Don't take life to seriously else itll get ya. I learned long ago to not sweat the small stuff and enjoy every minute above ground, cause it can end in a heartbeat or less. other than that BOOZE
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 9:33:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Find a new job.
View Quote

I like my job. I've just overextended myself and since I'm working at a level beyond my level of experience everything takes 110% I'm burning myself out. I've put everything I've got into getting ahead. I'm impressing all the right people and on my way up, so I can't back down, but fuck I'm tired. I can't even drink as much as I'd like since I need to be on my game continuously.

Just need to whinge and get it out of my system I guess.

Link Posted: 10/19/2013 9:33:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Depends on your situation.  How bad does your employer want to keep you.  Sometimes they will work with you.  Sometimes, burnout is how you know it's time to move on (or at least time to take the longest vacation you can get away with).

If you don't make time to exercise regularly, do it.  IMO it's the best thing for stress.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 9:34:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Homemade apfelwein. Lots of it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 9:38:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Couple days off to recharge?
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 9:42:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I like my job. I've just overextended myself and since I'm working at a level beyond my level of experience everything takes 110% I'm burning myself out. I've put everything I've got into getting ahead. I'm impressing all the right people and on my way up, so I can't back down, but fuck I'm tired. I can't even drink as much as I'd like since I need to be on my game continuously.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Find a new job.

How much vacation time do you have?

Ever taken an trip outside the US? Try some place crazy.

Great way to "recharge".
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 9:43:34 PM EDT
[#12]
it's called "vacation"

Take one
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 9:43:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Booze
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/19/2013 9:45:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Sleep

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 9:46:10 PM EDT
[#15]
I came to the realization that it doesn't matter what I do for work so long as I agree with the paycheck. There was a time when I would get frustrated with policy, coworkers, clients, and what my bosses told me to do but now I realize that none of that crap matters. I put in my time, work as hard as I can, and happily cash my paycheck. The details beyond that are irrelevant. It isn't my business that is on the line. I don't make policy. What other workers do has zero impact on my paycheck. If my boss decided I would serve the company better by cleaning the carpets with a toothbrush while wearing nothing but a manthong I would have zero complaints so long as my pay remained what it is now or better.

When I was growing up I heard that I should find work that makes me happy. The truth is all work is work. When I worked outside with my hands I spent my free time hacking away at a computer for entertainment. Now that I ride a desk in front of a computer all day I love getting my hands dirty in my free time. I don't think any work is enjoyable to the point that you want to do it without getting paid for it so it is better to focus on the compensation than it is to focus on the work. If you aren't happy with the pay then start learning something new that will increase your value so that you can earn more.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 9:58:37 PM EDT
[#16]
I wipe all of the rubber off the 1/4 panels and put on a new pair of rear tires.

What really works for me is to take a look on the other side of the fence. The grass isn't usually greener, when it is, I hop over.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 10:04:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Call out and enjoy the day.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 10:09:24 PM EDT
[#18]
I jerk off alot at work and I teabag everyones phones/coffeemugs...it is the little things that get me thru the day...
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 10:10:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Booze
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/19/2013 10:11:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Kill a hobo with a hammer.

Seriously though, that's a tough one. I think you go through stages, until you either just get up and split, thus ensuring the cycle happens all over again at your new job, or else you resign yourself to the fact that working, in general, sucks. I've always found it helpful to put my situation into perspective, as in; there's always someone who would gladly trade places with me.

Link Posted: 10/19/2013 10:13:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Sometimes you just gotta say What Da Fuck and just move on.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 10:14:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Enlisted army=lots of alcohol and a good wife.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 10:19:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I came to the realization that it doesn't matter what I do for work so long as I agree with the paycheck. There was a time when I would get frustrated with policy, coworkers, clients, and what my bosses told me to do but now I realize that none of that crap matters. I put in my time, work as hard as I can, and happily cash my paycheck. The details beyond that are irrelevant. It isn't my business that is on the line. I don't make policy. What other workers do has zero impact on my paycheck. If my boss decided I would serve the company better by cleaning the carpets with a toothbrush while wearing nothing but a manthong I would have zero complaints so long as my pay remained what it is now or better.

When I was growing up I heard that I should find work that makes me happy. The truth is all work is work. When I worked outside with my hands I spent my free time hacking away at a computer for entertainment. Now that I ride a desk in front of a computer all day I love getting my hands dirty in my free time. I don't think any work is enjoyable to the point that you want to do it without getting paid for it so it is better to focus on the compensation than it is to focus on the work. If you aren't happy with the pay then start learning something new that will increase your value so that you can earn more.
View Quote

Pretty much this I'm not super in love with my job butt the money is ok I go in work hard and when it's time to go I bail and forget about it till the next. Wtvr drama bullshit is going on I stay out of and just do my job.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 10:46:24 PM EDT
[#24]
take a long break, go to a strip club.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 10:46:59 PM EDT
[#25]
alcohol, and then some more alcohol..
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 11:10:40 PM EDT
[#26]
drinking or time off.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 11:15:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Ever seen a motorcycle at a therapist's office?
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 11:26:27 PM EDT
[#28]
I've been trying to get myself fired for a few years, it hasn't worked so I hunt a lot to keep me sane.

I'm beyond burnt out and just go in, work and leave. I don't exert myself anymore, barely talk to any of my coworkers and basically hate everyone.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 11:52:00 PM EDT
[#29]
I put it down for a while and go have a smoke.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 12:07:46 AM EDT
[#30]
On that 30 minute drive home from work, I shut it off. Wipe my mind clean of all the BS at the office and focus on home. Get home, and do stuff for myself. Alcohol helps too. While at the job? Haven't figured that one out. Matter of fact I am about to jump ship to another department because the ever repeating stupidity has gotten unbearable.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 12:10:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Fire, and then more fire.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 12:17:23 AM EDT
[#32]
vacation

The worst part about my job is even if i take some days off, I still end up working at least 32hrs, But I usually work 4 days before then take 3 days on the first pay period, the don't work the first 3 of the next, and end up with 6 days off, while still working 70-80hrs in two weeks.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 12:30:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Find a new job.

It helps me to know that my career is going great.  If I want a job that pays less with less stress, I know I can get one anytime I want.  Perspective is a great thing, when I was in the military, I couldn't quit if I got fed up.  Knowing that I can walk away if it ever gets bad enough makes everything a lot easier.

Exercise is great if you have time.  Scotch is great when you don't
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 12:47:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Recognize that it happens and its frequency.
I generally find myself burnt out twice a year.
When I was in the military going away for a couple of weeks for AT would get me back into the mood for work by the time I'd be back home.
Otherwise I'd go to one or two schools a year
I don't take much vacation time; a couple of days off and I'd rather be at work
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 12:48:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Hookers and blow
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 1:08:51 AM EDT
[#36]
mag dumps
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 1:14:27 AM EDT
[#37]
Marlboro Reds always worked wonders for me.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 2:15:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Exercise, but more often than you think.  When shit used to piss me off at work I would lock myself in the bathroom and do pushups until failure.  It sounds really dumb, and I would never admit it to people I work with, but my mood changed immediately.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 2:48:33 AM EDT
[#39]
I work 2 months on 2 months off, it's great. I work in a high stress demanding job that's fraught with danger, and I fucking love it and feel lucky to have this job.

When I am home I do a lot of things to recharge myself

I shoot a lot , go to tons of handgun and rifle classes. I've been known to travel to the other side of the country just to take a 3 day class, because it's fun and a bit of an adventure.
I play guitar, both acoustic and electric for stress relief I also do some running and crossfit and some lifting three or four times a week to stay in shape.
I like to grill out for friends on my bare bones 10 year old weber grill, I've almost mastered that thing.
I hunt and fish when I can depending on my schedule.
And I travel to different states to visit friends and family.
I also just bought a dog for the family and boy is he awesome, the GF works and the boy is at daycare so it's me and the dog a lot, we go for walks, play fetch run around the back yard and fish.
Also a decent cigar and a glass of bourbon once in a while are very relaxing as the sun is going down and everything is really calm and quiet outside.
Life is good, even when it's tough because your ticker ticks and your pecker pecks.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 2:51:59 AM EDT
[#40]

I remind myself that it beats the alternative.

Link Posted: 10/20/2013 2:52:09 AM EDT
[#41]
I just think about sleeping on a park bench.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 3:00:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Shoot dags and trample peoples rights

I get lots of range and time on the mats teaching. It levels me out.

(edit for shit typing skills)
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 3:07:40 AM EDT
[#43]
I currently get 4 vacations a year, and 5 d days. I space them out and use them all. When I'm on vacation I shut that soul crushing pit of unionized hell completely out of my mind untill the Sunday before I report back. Motorcycle trips really help too. I can use a d day and get a good 3 day  ride in a couple times a year.

I used to get frustrated with all the "what do I do" calls I would get while out but after a couple years I simply took to ignoring them. Place is still there when I get back.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 3:09:31 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Marlboro Reds always worked wonders for me.
View Quote
And fishing.

Link Posted: 10/20/2013 3:18:02 AM EDT
[#45]
Make your life a little bit less about work.  I know that's kind of an oversimplification. but it works.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 3:37:59 AM EDT
[#46]
Post the phone numbers of the people that piss me off on craig list
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 3:43:46 AM EDT
[#47]
Liking what you do is the primary step...and it sounds like you do, so your foundation isn't the problem.
I have an incredibly stressful job (at least I think I do) but I really enjoy what i do and I'm not even interested in looking for another job.
Some of the things I do to keep myself from self destructing.....

Take vacations...and truly get away.

Spend time with family and friends....and not talk about work when you are with them.

Get outdoors....hike, camp, fish, hunt....experience nature...it puts things in perspective.

Pray....if you have religion...use it. Again, this can really put things in perspective, and remind us about our real goals in life.

Genuinely think about others....there are folks who (through no fault of their own) have it much worse off than us. A bad day at work pales in comparison to a young friend with terminal cancer, or a hong vet coming back from the sandbox without all the body parts he took there with him. Some folks have some real crap to deal with, and regardless of how stressed out I get at work, or why....it doesn't take much time to look around and find someone else who would trade places with you in a heartbeat,

Exercise and eat well...feeling good gets your head it the right place easier than one might think.

Treat yourself.....we can easily get caught up in our responsibilities. Don't forget to take care of yourself...even if it's just stopping for a good cup of coffee on hue he way in to work, or blocking out some time on  a seeking to call an old friend....make time for you.

It's not rocket science.....just be good to yourself and to those around you....the rest will sort itself out
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 7:21:58 AM EDT
[#48]
I retired.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 7:24:33 AM EDT
[#49]
I usually try not to hire burnouts...

Seriously. Take some time off of work. Even if its just a short vacation, take one. When you get back, dont take every offering of OT the boss offers.

You always seem to be working, whenever you post about work on here. You cant do that all the time and expect to not get burned out.

Less work, more life.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 7:25:53 AM EDT
[#50]
1. Nail some of the how womenz at work
2. piss on the bosses leg to establish dominance
3...???
4.  Profit
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top