[url]http://patriotnetwork.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5737[/url]
[img]http://patriotnetwork.net/attachment.php?s=&postid=39197[/img]
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 11:14:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 11:32:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 2:20:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Another home-made mag-pul can easily be made from an old bicycle inner tube.  Use a mountain bike tube, cut off 1/2-3/4' slices, slide off bottom plates, and put in the loop of tube.
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 2:21:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Forest had some good comments about these he emailed me:

From Forest:

That is an old trick and it has 2 problems you should be aware of:
1) the empty sheating isn't stiff enough to keep its loop when in the magainze pouches - thus it won't really help much with magazine removal like the Mag Puls do.

2) Pulling on a fully loaded (1.1 lbs) magazine by a piece of string attached to the baseplate MAY pull the baseplate off and/or damage the tabs holding the baseplate on.  (that is why some USGI magazines have taped bottoms - sombody used this trick and damaged the pull tabs.)

There are alternative ideas and here they are:

1a) use the sheath method but insert a zip tie into it - that makes the loop stiff and it will 'pop up' when the mag pouch is opened.

1b) Tape the 550 cord to the sides of the magazine near the bottom (still have a knot in the end of the 550 cord's sheath),

1c) alternatively you could use a 'range band' (a loop made froma  strip of bicycle innner tube) to hold the cord in place.

2) Rotate the Mag-Puls so the loop goes from front to rear instead of side to side.  This makes a lower profile and fits in the magazine pouches better (at a slight reduction in speed of removing the magazine since the loop is lower).

3) Using 2 ranger bands (see 1c) you can make your own 'Mag Puls.  Stand one up on the bottom of the magazine well and fit the other through it (like a '+') - the one going through the standing loop will go around the base of the magazine (it should be TIGHT).  This will produce a rubber loop that is more flexible than the Mag-Pul (to fit under the mag pouch better).  For the cost of a $3 inner tube (or a free damaged one from a bike shop) you could do ALOT of magazines this way.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 2:53:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Actually, this is what MagPuls were adapted from. This has been done for probably as long as there have been mags, pouches and paracord.
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 3:28:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I covered several field expedient "quick pulls" versions on page two of the Magpul manual- Yep they were around long before I produced the Magpul, I just got fed up with scraping duct tape off my mags and having to spend an hour to para cord 10 mags.

Zip-Ties covered with gutted 550 cord are probably the best handmade magazine pulls that I tried while in the Military.

Just a few pointers though-
1. Don't use the zip ties with the metal locking tooth. These are stronger than regular zip ties but the metal rusts and they will fail suddenly.

2. Once you have the loop sized to you liking, duct tape the zip tie forward of the lock so that it will not click smaller and smaller during usage.

3. Use black zip ties- trust me the white is very bright under some lighting conditions.

4. Try and get the zip tie to be sandwiched between the floorplate and the mag-spring. This stops the shifting of the loop and ensures that the ziptie does not interfere with the spring operation.

5. The floorplate should be able to take the stress of the pull as shown in jrzy's example. But as I point out in the Magpul manual, looping from front to back through the drainage hold has been known to pull the whole floorplate off.

If used with a compatible pouch the Magpul is far more versatile IMHO. But then again I am biased. ;-)

[img]http://www.magpul.com/pictures/magpul556_2_195w.jpg[/img]

The Magpul can be installed in under 30 seconds and moved just as quickly from Mag to Mag.

Each loop is in the exact same place and length from mag to mag promoting reflex training and the recessed rough texturing allows for more positive control when wet.

The Magpul offers more protection to the magazine when dropped and does not use glue or tape to attach.

The Magpul can also be color coded to id ammunition type and modified for identification by touch only (tracer light v.s. tracer heavy)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top