Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/14/2002 10:16:36 AM EDT
I will be interviewing with a Cardiology group in Yuma. Im from West Texas, live in South Texas so the summer heat is no big deal to me.
Is it a decent place to live?
Anybody been there?
Lebrew
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 10:37:26 AM EDT
[#1]
The hottest place outside Death Valley.
Learn to love dust.
Stolen car capitol of Arizona.

It aint too bad.
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 10:43:46 AM EDT
[#2]
To tell you the truth the best thing about Yuma is that San Diego is only a 2-3 hour drive. Other than that it's a small, hot, boring town. The main attraction is the Colorado River. Great boating and the Dunes are close. You need a good ATV or Rail, a boat and a good woman.
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 10:48:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Say hi to Nick Poppajorgio when ya get there.  He is a old pal of mine.[:D]
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 11:20:41 AM EDT
[#4]
How is the hunting down there--javelina, whitetail deer?
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 11:42:31 AM EDT
[#5]
It's a great place if you like watching fighter jets flying around. But then again, it's fun up by Miramar too, and the weather is a LOT better!

Yuma is hot, dry and well, that's about it.
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 11:46:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I live there (here).

Lumpy is right.

az_larry is correct.

No hunting javelina here. Just too hot for them. There are some desert deer, but they are few and far between, although a serious hunter could have fun with them. I prefer to hunt in the forest.

Devils advocate got it right.

Hot. Dusty. Border town.

There wont be a shortage of work for a cardiologist. The population doubles in winter with snowbirds, as do traffic accidents.
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 11:47:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 11:56:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Heck of a mix, Marine aviators from the MCAS, snowbirds all winter, loud noises from Yuma Proving Ground, etc. Prices jump for the snowbirds of course. Chretin's still there??
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 2:48:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
To tell you the truth the best thing about Yuma is that San Diego is only a 2-3 hour drive. Other than that it's a small, hot, boring town. The main attraction is the Colorado River. Great boating and the Dunes are close. You need a good ATV or Rail, a boat and a good woman.
View Quote

I used to spend all of my little breaks from college there when my brother lived there. I had more fun running around in dune buggies than just about anything else I ever did!!!  We even found an old movie camera that the wind exposed from the sand that was apparently used in the filming of the "Rat Patrol" tv series.
Too damn hot for me in summer though.

Do they still have the 4th of July River Float event?  Did that back in 1975 when I was visiting - fealt pretty damn smart for bringing sun protection!
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 8:08:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Yuma is like Hell with less interesting people.

You'll be okay there if you're an alcoholic or are willing to learn.
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 8:26:16 PM EDT
[#11]
My son has been stationed at MCAS Yuma since 1995.  Seems like the only way he can get away from the place for any length of time is to go on deployments!

Hey lebrew.  If you make it to Yuma, pick a nice, warm July afternoon and go out to the old territorial prison and take a look at the white wall.  No fair wearing sunglasses!-TR
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 1:15:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yuma is like Hell with less interesting people.

You'll be okay there if you're an alcoholic or are willing to learn.
View Quote
[stick]

Chretins is still here. Neighborhood still sucks though.
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 3:45:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Lets not forget that Yuma is also a place known for people exiting an aircraft at altitudes much higher than 1250 feet, and said people also not having the common decency to use a static line :-)
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 4:32:20 AM EDT
[#14]
... two words
shithole
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 5:54:19 AM EDT
[#15]
The one big draw other than retirees are some huge sand dunes outside of town that go for miles, alot of people bring their ATV's and Dune Buggies out there and go nuts jumping over dunes, or riding up and down them at ridiculous angles.

There is alot of neat wilderness an hour north, east, or west outside of town- but as others have said- it is frigging hot!
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 7:44:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Gila Bend is the armpit of AZ and Yuma is the a$$hole. The only thing to do there is riding ATVs in the dunes during the winter.
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 9:54:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
... two words
shithole
View Quote

Uh, thats one word.
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 9:58:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Yuma aint that bad.

Let's see, theres one of them there FREE rifle/psitol ranges a short drive from town, a couple of good gun stores, and best of all, it aint in KALIFORNIA! What else does one need?
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 10:13:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Buy yourself a jet-ski like I did...and lose all kinds of mney on it when you move and have to sell it[:D] It's the best place for one.  
There is also  a few cliff diving spots there on the Colrado...

It's hot as balls, and not a whole lot to do.

They have a (s)mall with a SEARS in it, a radio shack, and pennies....that's about it.

A Big-Kmart, a small Walmart...

The best thing about the town is "Burgers and Beers" restraunt....they have great burgers, and will server beer in a "fishbowl"

Other than that....cheap golf...damn near free in the summer...

It is close ot San Diego...

They have a few cosinos in the area...

There is a bar called "Johnnys" its like 2 bars in one, a "club" and a "country bar" or used ot be that way...STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE!!!!!It has a VERY bad reputation for VD or STDs or whatever you wanna call it.

I thought it was boring and sucked, but others liked it, woudl imagine its not too different than west Tx....it'll be what you make of it, hell my wife would probably be bored in NY city[:d]

OH!! if you go near MCAS, be careful!!!  There may be dropping Hariers all around!  Seen em crash into the perimiter fence a few times...Hell they fly some of them Jets close enough to MAKE SHADOWS on the hood of your car when you're driving down the road!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top