Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/13/2002 10:36:23 AM EDT
I know quite a few of us have enough ammo to supply a small army. I'm curently working on my stash, and was wondering where everybody's putting theres. I use to put my ammo cans in the safe with the guns, but I'm a little short on space so I have to get creative sometimes. (book shelves, closets, under night stands and beds, etc.) But the wife complains about it being tacky and taking up too much room. My garage is full so that's a no go. Any ideas?

Just tring to think of an efective storage area, with easy access, not too out in the open.

Another questions is what happens if my house, god forbid, catches fire? Should I tell the fire dept. about all the ammo before they rush into my house to try and put it out? Or is it a don't ask don't tell kinda thing?

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 11:04:23 AM EDT
[#1]
At the first inclination of ammo on the premise, the fire department steps back and gets everyone away from the expolsive hazard. They'll keep hoses and such trained on nearby structures to prevent the spreading of the fire, but yours they'll not get near. If someone gets injuried by the explosives, it'll be civil lawsuit time I'm sure.
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 11:38:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Jeez.  Almost EVERYONE has some ammo in their house.

Firefighters most certainly don't stand by and allow a house to burn to ashes.

Firefighters routinely fight house fires that contain:

Hairspray
Spray paint
LP tanks
Gasoline
Ammo
Paint thinner
Natural Gas lines
etc...

The notion that firefighters refuse to fight a fire if there is ammo inside is an old wives tale.  Studies have shown that ammo burning in a fire is far less dangerous to firemen than [b]BEING IN A BURNING HOUSE[/b].
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 11:41:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Make sure your ammo is stored cool and dry.

Heat and moisture will eat away at the components.

I use Rubbermaid, dessicant and a dehumidifier.

BTW - If my house ever starts on fire, I would NEVER tell a fireman [b]anything[/b] about items stored therein.  Only sleeping children and pets.

If the fire isn't that bad, I'd fight it myself, and my wife would haul valuables.
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 11:53:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Guys,

while at BlackFox's house for a shoot last year, we threw handfulls of 8mm rounds into the bonfire.

Just just go pop.

Without a chamber to contain the round, the head just pops off at low speed.  No risk.

Don't buy into the hype.
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 12:15:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh Please, I didn't mean that they do all houses that way. My brother the fire chief has videoed plenty of house fires and there are instances where the popping from ammo has created plenty of pucker factor for the guys. If one or more are in the chambers of firearms it still is a risk they would rather avoid.

Just because these guys are willing to risk their lives for others, I'm sure they still want to be as safe as possible, you think?

Would you sit around a camp fire and let someone toss a shotgun shell in it?
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 12:54:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sure.  I wouldnt be too worried about it, if I was wearing firefighters clothing.

Regardless, your main point was that if you stock ammo, firefighters will let your house burn.  I call bull.
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 1:04:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Guys,

while at BlackFox's house for a shoot last year, we threw handfulls of 8mm rounds into the bonfire.

Just just go pop.

Without a chamber to contain the round, the head just pops off at low speed.  No risk.

Don't buy into the hype.
View Quote

Yep.  We did the same thing in Iraq when we were pulling out.  We had to slit, dump, and burn all the sandbags.  While the fire was at full roar, we decided to toss in handfulls and bandoleers full of 7.62x39 ammo with the same results.
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 1:32:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Uh, yes.

Did you read my post?  I wasn't the only one tossing spare rounds in the fire.
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 1:41:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Why, thats easy, I safely store all my ammo in my firearms, where else?

j/k

I have it all in a few ammo cans stacked in a back room. Speaking of which, Im low on ammo, need to stock up again.
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 2:49:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Uh, yes.

Did you read my post?  I wasn't the only one tossing spare rounds in the fire.
View Quote

The 22lr rounds made the loudest bangs if I remember correctly.  8mm's were nothing.  Pass the popcorn. [:D]  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top