Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2002 1:29:38 AM EDT
Time for another installment of Barney Fife on the job.  Somehow I don't this boy will be living in a trailer for very much longer.  Several million in settlement will buy a nice house.

[url]http://www.forsythnews.com/main_pages/news.shtml[/url]

November 10, 2002
Sheriff's office drops charge against sleeping 62-year-old

By Steven H. Pollak, Staff Writer

After being shot at in his home by a DeKalb County policeman and spending a night in the Forsyth County Adult Detention Center, 62-year-old James Cecil Sosebee has learned that he will not be charged after all.

Law enforcement officers from Forsyth and DeKalb counties early Wednesday entered Sosebee's trailer in search of someone else — Adam Carlan, who was wanted in DeKalb County for aggravated assault. Carlan, as it turns out, resided in another nearby trailer on Millwood Road.

According to the sheriff's office, the two DeKalb officers and one local deputy identified themselves prior to mistakenly entering Sosebee's home. But Sosebee, who was asleep, became startled by the intruders and picked up a rifle that he keeps by his bed, pointing it in their direction.

One of the DeKalb officers shot at least five rounds at Sosebee, who then put down his rifle but was arrested and charged with aggravated assault. He spent the rest of the night in jail.

Two hours later, the law enforcement officers returned to Millwood Road and located Carlan, arresting him without incident.

Forsyth County Sheriff Ted Paxton said in an interview Thursday that all charges against Sosebee have been dropped.

“Mr. Sosebee was sound asleep in his home when the officers went in,” Paxton said. “He did not immediately realize who it was. There was some miscommunication.”

Paxton said he consulted with the district attorney’s office before dropping the charges.

“One of the elements in any crime is that there must be intent, and Mr. Sosebee had no intent to assault any police officers,” he said. “Once he realized it was police officers, he dropped the gun. There was never any intent on his part to assault anybody.”

The Dekalb County Police Department’s Internal Affairs Division has opened up an investigation into the shooting but has declined to comment on it.

Melanie Sosebee, a niece by marriage who lives next door, said she has been contacting attorneys about possible legal action.

She said her uncle works as a heating and air conditioning repairman and drinks six to eight beers each evening before turning in around 9 p.m.

The sheriff’s office incident report said James Cecil Sosebee had a strong odor of alcohol about him when he was arrested.

Melanie Sosebee added that her uncle keeps an old German Mauser rifle next to his bed because he’s been robbed twice in the trailer.

When the law enforcement officers entered the trailer, she said, he was in a “drunken stupor” and thought he was being robbed.

“It’s just totally unprofessional and unacceptable the way they went about this,” she said. “I just want to see that the officers who are responsible for putting Cecil in this frame of mind do not do this to another citizen of the state of Georgia.”
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/13/2002 1:46:09 AM EDT
[#1]

Melanie Sosebee added that her uncle keeps an old German Mauser rifle next to his bed because he’s been robbed twice in the trailer.

View Quote

A k98? That rifle would fire through about 6 or 7 trailer homes. Shit.
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 1:52:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

[b]and your point is????[/b]
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 4:14:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Morons in blue.

Ever heard of "recon", boys?[rolleyes]

And of course, guess who gets to pay for their stupidity? We do, probably several hundred thousand dollars worth, if not more.

Yes, Mr Sosebee is very lucky to be alive, in more ways than one. He deserves compensation for his mistreatment, if for no other reason, than to serve as a costly warning to PDs that stupidity could co$t them their jobs. Another casualty of the drug war, which gave us "no-knock" warrants.

I hope The Gang That Couldn't Shoot Straight is pushing brooms someplace, really soon.....

In Massachusetts, nothing would have happened to these guys, unless the victim was a minority. (Rev Accelyne Williams case, 1990s- big $ettlement with his widow after he suffered a heart attack when cops bust in and hog-tied her retired clergyman husband, thinking he was a drug dealer....)

Link Posted: 11/13/2002 4:17:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

Probably all he could afford....

But- where were the police to protect him during those two robberies?....[rolleyes]

Moral of the article for the AJC's readers: Thank goodness you all don't have to live in trailer parks- see what happens?
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 4:27:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Time for another installment of Barney Fife on the job.

She said her uncle works as a heating and air conditioning repairman and [red]drinks six to eight beers each evening before turning in around 9 p.m.[/red]
View Quote

View Quote

So the fuck what?

Scott
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 5:35:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

She said her uncle works as a heating and air conditioning repairman and [red]drinks six to eight beers each evening before turning in around 9 p.m.[/red]
View Quote

View Quote

So the fuck what?

Scott
View Quote

I think the fact that he had several drinks is very important. It clearly shows that a HVAC repairman with alcohol in his system and being abrubtly awoken in the early morning is still able to execute better judgement than the officers that entered.

The officers probably have chief moose as a role model.
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 5:54:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

So the fuck what?

Scott
View Quote

I think the fact that he had several drinks is very important. It clearly shows that a HVAC repairman with alcohol in his system and being abrubtly awoken in the early morning is still able to execute better judgement than the officers that entered.

View Quote

Oh SNAP! [bounce]
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 5:58:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

So the fuck what?

Scott
View Quote

View Quote

Oh SNAP! [bounce]
View Quote

He owns a Mauser too, that makes him an ok guy in my book.
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 6:06:08 AM EDT
[#9]
What do you think would have happened if he killed an officer?  I betcha he'd be working on HVAC's in prison, even though he was legally defending his property.  

Definately a Mooseizm
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 6:13:31 AM EDT
[#10]
"One of the DeKalb officers shot at least five rounds at Sosebee, who then put down his rifle but was arrested and charged with aggravated assault. He spent the rest of the night in jail."

What's wrong w/this picture?...  Sounds like the barney fifes should be charged with aggravated assault to me.  They're lucky they didn't do that to someone more 'prepared' to defend themselves.
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 6:33:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Looks like old Jimmy's getting a new trailer!

[Jeffersons]"Well we're movin' on up ..."[/Jeffersons]
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 7:05:06 AM EDT
[#12]
pretty comical/lame (although very good for the innocent party here) that ol' barney fires off 5 rounds, doubtless somewhere between 5-15 feet away, and gets a clean miss all 5 times.  what a fuckin' goober!  sleep well, citizens, knowing your safety is in such capable hands.
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 8:39:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Whoever sent the cops to the wrong trailer is to blame.

Would the 62 year old have realized they were real cops sooner if he hadnt been in a "drunken stupor" as described by his own family?
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 8:53:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Whoever sent the cops to the wrong trailer is to blame.
View Quote

It's not a freaking Fire Mission.  Do you think that they're supposed to take the call, jock up and just find the first address that matches the dispatch.  What about recon?  How about verification and an entry plan?  You'd think they'd figure out they were at the wrong address after all the prep work they should be doing.

Would the 62 year old have realized they were real cops sooner if he hadnt been in a "drunken stupor" as described by his own family?
View Quote

Catch me on a Saturday night, when I'll be exercising my God-given rights to be in a " drunken stupor" on my own property, IN MY OWN BED!  I don't care if he was naked, lotion in hand, watching "Back Door Sluts #9".  When people UNLAWFULLY break into your home, what you were doing at the time is irrelevant.

Next time this happens, anywhere, I hope the Ninja-wannabees get the ass-whoopin they so deserve.
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 9:00:47 AM EDT
[#15]
I dunno how well it would help in a trailer, but this is another argument for having a dog in the house that knows how to bark.

If my 100 lb dog encounters an intruder, it is going to get loud, and I will at least be awake and ready before they can get past him.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top