Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/10/2013 6:53:34 PM EDT
I can`t remember how young I was when I first did that. It didn`t happen much.

Dad is not the spring chicken he used to be.

He won`t be there forever. He is physically fit for the most part but I am seeing his mind starting to slip. We are both older now and time seems to be accelerating as we get older. The beautiful thing about my Dad is that he still loves me very much and is still willing to do anything to help me.

Anyone here wish that they could make more memories of fun with their folks while they are still alive?

I will also add to this that you should always tell people around you that you love and care about, how much you  appreciate them.

One day that may not be possible.

Link Posted: 10/10/2013 6:58:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Very true.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 7:00:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I go shooting with him instead, it's more his speed.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 7:10:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Miss my dad heaps. I remember tossing a baseball with him as a kid. What I wouldn't give to be able to do it one more time.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 7:12:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

It`s the little things my friend.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 7:14:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Played catch with Dad about 3 years ago.  It was fun and we had some great laughs.

Wish he was able to do it now
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 7:17:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Miss my dad heaps. I remember tossing a baseball with him as a kid. What I wouldn't give to be able to do it one more time.
View Quote

I am sure that he feels the same way.

Link Posted: 10/10/2013 7:18:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Played catch with Dad about 3 years ago.  It was fun and we had some great laughs.

Wish he was able to do it now
View Quote

What happened?

Link Posted: 10/10/2013 7:27:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Me too!

Last weekend I made plans to go shooting with a couple friends on Sunday but Saturday night my dad texted me asking if I wanted to come over and go shoot with him Sunday.  Didn't take long to decide that I should take advantage of any time I get to spend with him.  My friends of course didn't mind me cancelling on them last minute.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 7:29:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's coming out in a few weeks, I'm hoping to fire off a few rounds with him.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 7:30:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Me too!

Last weekend I made plans to go shooting with a couple friends on Sunday but Saturday night my dad texted me asking if I wanted to come over and go shoot with him Sunday.  Didn't take long to decide that I should take advantage of any time I get to spend with him.  My friends of course didn't mind me cancelling on them last minute.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me too!

Your Dad is a great guy!

Link Posted: 10/10/2013 7:30:34 PM EDT
[#11]
After 8th grade I didn't get to toss the ball so to speak with my dad, but we found other things that made up for it. Now that I have a son I make sure to do all those things with him
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 7:32:26 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm going to a gun show with my old man on saturday.  He's only 65 and in great health and I see him quite a bit.  We've had our differences but I'm spending as much time as I can with him.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 7:32:37 PM EDT
[#13]
My Dad has been gone for five years. ( I'm 61 )

Lately it has occurred to me, that when he talked I listened.

Your kids will too.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 7:35:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
After 8th grade I didn't get to toss the ball so to speak with my dad, but we found other things that made up for it. Now that I have a son I make sure to do all those things with him
View Quote

It sounds like to me that your age has shown you much wisdom.

Your son won`t forget about the good times he had with you and from what he learned from you, will be passed on to his children.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 7:36:34 PM EDT
[#15]
I've been getting more and more greatful for the time I get to spend with my dad. He turns 70 in April and I turn 35, 11 days later. He will become a granddad for the third time with my and my wife's first child a daughter. I cannot wait to see him with her.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 7:37:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Two things I always keep in my truck, a football, and a deck of cards.  Dad and I toss the ball every time we're both outside and waiting for someone or something.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 7:37:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Yup.

Went down to visit (an hour away) two weekends ago.  Pops has been slowing but I figured it was normal progression (he's 75.)

He started shaking and getting cold.  Said it was nothing.  I eventually headed home.

I got most of the way home when Mom called.  "We need to take your dad to the ER."  

A week later, a biopsy and CAT scan later, we're looking at a lung melanoma and brain cancer.  

Radiation started a week ago, and we don't have a full prognosis yet, but I'm not counting on a miracle.

So I will be spending weekends with him... watching old movies that we both love.  John Wayne.  War movies.  I'm taking Blazing Saddles this weekend as it was the first 'risque' move he took me to see when I was 15.  When I brought that up he smiled, so I'm sure we'll enjoy the time together and Mom will get a break.

Fuck growing old... it blows.  Spend time with everyone that matters NOW.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 7:39:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 7:41:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Be glad your dad still cares about having a relationship with you.

Mine never wanted to hang out, much less toss a ball.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 7:42:23 PM EDT
[#20]
enjoy him while you can. my dad passed 20 years ago and i still miss him. i cannot remember ever playing catch with my dad, ever.  he worked so often i really didn't see much of him until he retired, and he died soon after that.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 7:42:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Damn, now I wanna throw a ball with my dad....think I will ask him next time we visit. A few years ago I won an auction to have a batting practice session at the local AA baseball park. Dad, my uncle and a few others went with me. While I was batting my dad was giving me pointers, just like when he coached me in little league, I was almost 30 the day we went to the AA park. I went home that night reflecting on the day and that was the best part.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 7:45:29 PM EDT
[#22]
If mine was still here I would love to
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 7:49:16 PM EDT
[#23]
My Dad is coming over for the end of the month.  Maybe I'll dig up the gloves and ball and see if he's up to it.  He'll be 83.  Might be fun!  His great grandson might want to play catch with him too!  Then again, it may turn into dodgeball!
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 7:54:42 PM EDT
[#24]
I just lost mine January of this year. I have few regrets in my life but not spending more time with dad while he was still with us is one of them. Take the time, make the time and enjoy his company.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 7:55:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 7:56:35 PM EDT
[#26]
I miss my dad every single day. I wish I could go fishing with him and just shoot the shit one last time.

Link Posted: 10/10/2013 7:59:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Mine is a shitbag drunk, NEVER got toplay catch or shoot the shit without his bullshit.

Fuck him and seriously hope he dies alone.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 8:02:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I've been getting more and more greatful for the time I get to spend with my dad. He turns 70 in April and I turn 35, 11 days later. He will become a granddad for the third time with my and my wife's first child a daughter. I cannot wait to see him with her.
View Quote

My dad is approaching 80.

I thank God every day that he is still around.

Mom isn`t.

I always told her that I loved her every time that I saw her. For that, I have no regrets.

She was a short woman of stature but always was a good hugger.

The day she died, I had actually thought about going by to see my folks. I was nearby to them too.

I guess speculating on what could have happened is pointless now.

Link Posted: 10/10/2013 8:03:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
My Dad is coming over for the end of the month.  Maybe I'll dig up the gloves and ball and see if he's up to it.  He'll be 83.  Might be fun!  His great grandson might want to play catch with him too!  Then again, it may turn into dodgeball!
View Quote

LOL!

Link Posted: 10/10/2013 8:03:58 PM EDT
[#30]
I was working on the Jeep today that I pick up from an Uncle ( moms side ) and feelin a bit sad about not having the old man around anymore,  we used to wrench on stuff together all the time,  built many cars.  

Anyway the Jeep has a stuck intake valve and when I picked it up my uncle mentioned that he had a spare 360 for it,  called him up to tell him I needed it and he let me know that the 360 was another uncles ( dads side ) who my dad practically raised and was killed at a young age ( back in 78 )  My dad always missed his little brother ( I have his race leathers and helmets,  speedway racer ).  

Reminiscing isn't nearly as good as the real thing,  spend the time if you still can.

Pic of my dad,  his older brother,  younger brother, and my grandfather.   Uncle Rich had just won the Speedway championship for California.

Link Posted: 10/10/2013 8:05:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I miss my dad every single day. I wish I could go fishing with him and just shoot the shit one last time.
View Quote

How long has he been gone?

Was it unexpected?

Link Posted: 10/10/2013 8:05:49 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Was it unexpected?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Was it unexpected?

About three years. Completely unexpected.

Link Posted: 10/10/2013 8:06:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Yup.

Went down to visit (an hour away) two weekends ago.  Pops has been slowing but I figured it was normal progression (he's 75.)
He started shaking and getting cold.  Said it was nothing.  I eventually headed home.

I got most of the way home when Mom called.  "We need to take your dad to the ER."  

A week later, a biopsy and CAT scan later, we're looking at a lung melanoma and brain cancer.  

Radiation started a week ago, and we don't have a full prognosis yet, but I'm not counting on a miracle.

So I will be spending weekends with him... watching old movies that we both love.  John Wayne.  War movies.  I'm taking Blazing Saddles this weekend as it was the first 'risque' move he took me to see when I was 15.  When I brought that up he smiled, so I'm sure we'll enjoy the time together and Mom will get a break.

Fuck growing old... it blows.  Spend time with everyone that matters NOW.
View Quote

Damn.

Link Posted: 10/10/2013 8:09:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I can`t remember how young I was when I first did that. It didn`t happen much.

Dad is not the spring chicken he used to be.

He won`t be there forever. He is physically fit for the most part but I am seeing his mind starting to slip. We are both older now and time seems to be accelerating as we get older. The beautiful thing about my Dad is that he still loves me very much and is still willing to do anything to help me.

Anyone here wish that they could make more memories of fun with their folks while they are still alive?

I will also add to this that you should always tell people around you that you love and care about, how much you  appreciate them.

One day that may not be possible.

View Quote

Very much so.  1000 miles away and it kills me.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 8:10:58 PM EDT
[#35]
By the time it's immenent, it's too late. After that it's forced and Dad is being nice.  It's possible that Dad feels the same, but not automatic.

Make it good early or learn to deal with the life you've been given.

For me it all came too late. Made lemonaide as best I could. It is what it is.

Link Posted: 10/10/2013 8:20:33 PM EDT
[#36]
live way too far from my dad......

I'm definitely going to free up my schedule to see him in 2 weeks now though now.... thanks

I'd love to just go out and throw a ball - sure he would too but he can't anymore.... sitting around smoking cigars and drinking beer is good also though
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 8:23:42 PM EDT
[#37]
One piece of advice I give to someone whether they are 14 or 40 is enjoy everyday you have someone and never leave on a bad note, I lost my dad a few years ago when I was 17 and can still remember that day, told him I loved him and gave him a hug before I left for school while he sat in his room ( couldn't walk around too much by that point)  and three hours later i was called out of class to go home to EMS and police that wouldn't be needed, it was surreal saying goodbye to someone who was no longer there when only hours before they told you they loved you too. Don't wait until it's too late to tell someone how you feel because there may come a time when you no longer can.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 8:23:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Funny thing you should mention this.  I was sitting in the blind today and was thinking how great it would be if I could hunt with my dad just one more time  
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 8:24:36 PM EDT
[#39]
I envy some of you. The 1 year anniversary of my dads passing is next weekend
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 8:29:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Mine is a shitbag drunk, NEVER got toplay catch or shoot the shit without his bullshit.

Fuck him and seriously hope he dies alone.
View Quote

Doc,

Was there ever a time before his alcoholism that you remember?

Do you know what might have triggered it?

Link Posted: 10/10/2013 8:31:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Saigaman,

Talk to me about some of your funniest memories of your Dad.

What stands out the most in your mind about his character.

Link Posted: 10/10/2013 8:35:48 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Saigaman,

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Saigaman,

Well one thing he learned was don't say inappropriate things around your young son because he will most likely repeat them.

Fond memories of my dad was the holidays. He'd be up at 6AM making breakfast and putting on music. That's how we knew Christmas was here.

Last shooting day with my dad when he came down to TX.

Link Posted: 10/10/2013 8:40:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Folks, sorry if I haven`t responded to everyone in this post.

I am getting tired but to all who have responded in my topic, I only want to say this. Sounds like to me that your Dad`s for the most part, were terrific examples and good influences in your lives. Pass on to your children what you have learned from your folks. I was never eloquent in trying to get my point across.

I just know a few simple words.

To my Dad and others around me that are important.......

I love you.

Link Posted: 10/10/2013 8:44:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Well one thing he learned was don't say inappropriate things around your young son because he will most likely repeat them.  

Fond memories of my dad was the holidays. He'd be up at 6AM making breakfast and putting on music. That's how we knew Christmas was here.

http://youtu.be/UGuC7I7f_Y8

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Saigaman,

http://youtu.be/UGuC7I7f_Y8

My neighbors probably heard me laughing through the walls over that one! ( The blue quote )

Link Posted: 10/10/2013 8:48:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

My neighbors probably heard me laughing through the walls over that one! ( The blue quote )

View Quote

dad always said he was a role model - he showed me exactly what not to do
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 8:50:45 PM EDT
[#46]
My upbringing was very much like the song Cats in a Cradle.  Neither of my parents were really around much as far back as I can remember.  They were not far away, hell, we lived in a pretty damn nice double-wide behind the family business. So Im talking 100' away.  However as far back as I can remember grandma and grandpa pretty much raised us.  I dont recall ever getting to play catch with my dad. And grandpa was blind so I suppose that was out, but I really think he would have at least made the time for it.

Had parent teacher conferences today.  I played catch with my son the whole time, he's 4,  while my ex talked about her worries about him having ADD.  Thats a whole other thread in itself.

Link Posted: 10/10/2013 8:52:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hope that most examples didn`t start off with " hold my beer and watch this"!

My comment was only in good natured ribbing.

I did grasp what thoughts you were trying to convey!

Link Posted: 10/10/2013 8:57:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Moved back home (to a blue state, no less) because I realized exactly what OP did. Family is important, and I am really trying to cherish the time that he and I have left together. I never got a chance to know my Grandfather, as he died from a brain tumor before I was born. Needless to say I am terrified that my father might meet the same fate. Hell, the way he smokes cigars now he may yet have a shot at lung cancer.

It's going to be a rough day when he's gone.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 9:00:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Dad is almost seventy. Im thirty one. We live less than a mils apart and we help each other with projects, split wood, go fishing, etc, all the time. I am very lucky to have awesome parents.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 9:02:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Dad is almost seventy. Im thirty one. We live less than a mils apart and we help each other with projects, split wood, go fishing, etc, all the time. I am very lucky to have awesome parents.
View Quote

about same split but he's 4 hours away half the year - 4 hours flying away the rest....

I miss the days growing up when it'd be both dad and my grandfather at work.....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top