Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/12/2002 5:10:53 PM EDT
Who the hell decides to put these things on public streets? Apparently not the neighborhood residents, if my experience is any indication. About a year ago, several of them suddenly appeared on the street that serves my subdivision. Nobody asked anyone in my homeowner's association about it — the city trucks just came one day and put them in. Man, if I ever find the Nazi that's responsible for them, I'll personally give him a rear admiral/swirley combination the likes of which he hasn't seen since back in junior high gym class!

Then, this week, they tore the speed bumps out and replaced 'em with even bigger versions. These new ones are basically like curbs — you drive over them at anything above 5 MPH and you'll bottom out your axles. Hit 'em at the speed limit (30 MPH), and you'll bend a rim.

Anyone have any suggestions for getting rid of this pestilence?
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 5:21:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Rent a Bobcat(skid steer loader) and they can disapear overnite.[:D]
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 5:25:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 5:36:41 PM EDT
[#3]
If they are asphalt or blacktop, you don't even need the Bobcat.  Get a 5-gallon jerrican of gasoline and some shovels.  Get a couple helpers.  Done in a couple hours without all the engine noise - and cheaper too!

FFZ
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 5:50:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I thought of the gas and shovels. But I'm just lazy and I could get a bobcat from work. If I would do something like that[:D]
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 6:10:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Rancho shocks!!!

speed bumps at 30mph feel like glass.
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 6:26:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Ask around and you will find out that some busybody in your neighborhood didn't like how fast some people were driving through there so they and a coalition of "concerned citizens" petitioned the town (or whatever) to install the "traffic calming devices."  

People in this country have so little to worry about that they actually have to make up shit to fill up their time.  If that inconveniences other people, well, fuck you, you are insensitive to their needs!  Then they wonder why someone flips and starts randomly shooting folks!

The speed bump craze is big wherever there is a residential street where motorists like to cut through as a shortcut.  Pretty soon the residents are up in arms because they "feel" they have a right to live on a quiet street where no one except them is allowed to drive.  I've seen this all over the place.  Our taxes pay for the fucking streets, but forget about your right to drive on them!  

The best ones are when the town refuses to install the damn bumps so the residents put up signs condemning drivers for their sin of driving, or put out orange cones while their kids play.  I've seen it all and it appears to be a spreading disease in suburban America.  Foolishness knows no boundaries and respects no rationality!

Did you ever ride into a neighborhood where all the kids are wearing helmets?  Did you find it disturbing at all?
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 6:45:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I've often fantasized about finding out where [b][orange][size=4]THE GUY in charge of ORANGE CONES[/size=4][/orange][/b] lives, then placing said cones from his house around the block to his house...[;D]

As for speed bumps, I had a run-in with one last Saturday!
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=154295[/url]
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 6:48:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Did you ever ride into a neighborhood where all the kids are wearing helmets?  Did you find it disturbing at all?
View Quote

...you know ... Now that you mention it, yeah.
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 7:06:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Speed bumps should be outlawed.
So should 4 way stop signs. I hate those.
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 7:09:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Who the hell decides to put these things on public streets? Apparently not the neighborhood residents, if my experience is any indication. About a year ago, several of them suddenly appeared on the street that serves my subdivision. Nobody asked anyone in my homeowner's association about it — the city trucks just came one day and put them in. Man, if I ever find the Nazi that's responsible for them, I'll personally give him a rear admiral/swirley combination the likes of which he hasn't seen since back in junior high gym class!

Then, this week, they tore the speed bumps out and replaced 'em with even bigger versions. These new ones are basically like curbs — you drive over them at anything above 5 MPH and you'll bottom out your axles. Hit 'em at the speed limit (30 MPH), and you'll bend a rim.

Anyone have any suggestions for getting rid of this pestilence?
View Quote

Speed Bumps.. upgraded to Speed Humps...

as someone once said "There is no problem that cannot be solved, through the proper application of high explosives"

i too hate bumps and make it a point to blow over them.. and PAST the friking 2mph grannys going over them, when it is safe to do so. (no oncoming cars, peds, ect)

HUMPS i hate even more because you cant blow over them in anything less then a mudboggers/4wd truck

Link Posted: 11/12/2002 7:12:56 PM EDT
[#11]
In College Station we had a group of well connected citizens that managed to convince the City Council to close their street to through traffic.  The fire department and the police department protested it because it increased response times considerably to a elementary school in the neighborhood.  

People in the neighborhood who were against the closure started a petition to put in on the next ballot.  The voter turnout for that election was the highest in a long time.  Needless to say the road was reopened.  Got to love democracy in action.[:)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top