Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/13/2001 4:06:50 PM EDT
Need a pair of good work boots.  Must be very comfortable for walking around on 12 hour shifts.  Must be steel toed, for kicking in doors and  skulls.  (just kidding about the last two, but they do need to be steel toed).
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 4:10:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 4:18:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I have always used Red Wing.  They have an excellent choice of steel toed boots.  Check them out.

[URL]www.redwingshoes.com[/URL]
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 4:20:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Wolverine are good also.......[pistol]
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 4:53:01 PM EDT
[#4]
The words "comfortable" and "steel toed" don't go together very well.

I have had good luck with Lehigh boots.  Worked in three different sawmills with them.  Saved my foot once.

Select the sole type carefully.  If you are on solid floors, don't buy a lug sole.  Same thing if you will deal with dirt and mud surfaces, don't use a smooth sole.
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 5:05:13 PM EDT
[#5]
 I would suggest Matterhorn, or if you are indoors all of the time, Corcoran field boots, they are both made by Cove Shoe Co, in Martinsburg, Pa.  They do have a website, do a search on Cove Shoe.  The Corcorans in particular, have a Sorbothane heel pad which is great on hard floors, and an exceptionally roomy toe, due to their Munson Last. They also have an outlet store.
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 5:22:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Wolverine Dura-Shocks
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 6:10:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I wear steel toes at work everyday.  I've tried many to find some that fit and don't dig into your toes.  I've finally settled on two brands.

For winter, I wear Matterhorns with the Kevlar toe (ANSI 75 rated is all that's required).  They're warm, waterproof, and the Kevlar toe doesn't conduct cold like steel will.  Get them bigger so you can wear thick socks without constricting your feet.  The whole key to warmth is circulation.

For the rest of the year, I wear Hi-Techs.  I wear the Midnite ST Magnum.  They are light, cool and comfortable.  The biggest thing is they fit without digging into my toes.  It's pretty easy to get that toe cap digging into your toes if they don't fit right.  They last me about two years of total wear (about 10mos per year).  

Hi-Techs are not the longest wearing brand.  Once they start wearing, they wear out fast.  They don't cost too much though, and I'm pretty hard on my shoes at work.  The boot allowance pretty much covers them, so no biggie.

Ross
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 6:16:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have always used Red Wing.  They have an excellent choice of steel toed boots.  Check them out.

[URL]www.redwingshoes.com[/URL]
View Quote

Agree 100%

Aviator
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 6:21:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm a police officer and an infantry scout in the L,.natn guard. my preference is for the Belleville 700 tls. Has an athletic shoe feel.
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 6:27:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Danner
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 8:17:40 PM EDT
[#11]
deffinitely danners, but I'm not sure if they make a steel toe
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 8:22:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/14/2001 7:01:55 AM EDT
[#13]
The Danner Ft Lewis boots are probably the best boot ever made, but they are not available with a steel toe for those of us who are required to wear steel toed boots at work. Yes, there is a "safety" toe version of the Danner available, but it is not approved by my employer, who subsidizes my work boot purchases.

I wear Redwing 4423s at work. Actually, I wear them almost all of the time because they are so inexpensive for me to buy. I have a pair for everyday casual wear, a pair for work, and at least 2-3 new pairs in storage. These are mid-heigth boots with a Gore-Tex lining. They also have a good sole that absorbs a lot of the impacts from being on my feet in rail switchyard and around railroad equipment all day. They are very comfortable year around and have never allowed my feet to get wet, even here in the rainy Pacific Northwest. The fact that they only cost me $38 a pair is the icing on the cake.
Link Posted: 4/14/2001 7:44:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/14/2001 5:56:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the feedback, I'm going to go shop for some Monday.  I'll check out the brands you guys mentioned.
Link Posted: 4/14/2001 6:03:56 PM EDT
[#16]
TREETOP's feet + Hi-Tec boots = Happy Feet.[:)]

They're light weight enough, but still feel rugged enough.
Link Posted: 4/15/2001 8:00:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Rockies.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top