Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/11/2002 10:50:49 PM EDT
I dive the cold waters of New England.  Though my 7mil wetsuit was worked fine, alot of people are telling me to make the leap to a drysuit.  Not only is it warmer, they say, but it's more comfortable and it'll extend the dive season.

One concern of mine is: will I have to replace any of my other gear--like my BC--as well?  And is it really worth the considerable expense and effort?

Are there any opinions on this?    

Link Posted: 11/12/2002 2:08:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I used to dive here in the Puget Sound (very cold water) and have even done so while it was snowing (water temp was 38 deg.F) with my drysuit.   The biggest advantage is when your done diving, your not all cold and wet trying to change into dry clothes.  As for other equipment...its the same as a wetsuit except for an extra air hose coming out of your primary reg to the fill valve in your suit.  Also, you'll need a lot more weight.
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 2:54:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Not really.

You will need an extra low-pressure port on your 1st stage regulator for an extra hose to inflate the dry suit.  So it is possible you may have to replace your 1st stage.

Most folks also readjust their weight belt and almost everyone I know also uses ankle weights.

If you purchase a dry suit, make sure you get some practice in a pool before trying open water and learn to love maintaining all those o-rings seals.
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 5:28:26 AM EDT
[#3]
WHEN I GO DIVING (april-oct), I WANT TO GET WET![:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top