Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/11/2002 12:13:48 PM EDT
South Los Angeles.....

[url]http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20021111/ap_on_en_tv/actor_killed_4[/url]

Scott

Link Posted: 11/11/2002 12:26:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Why do some famous actors still feel the need to sit in parked cars in South Central LA at 2:30 am?

If I was rich and famous, I would find somthing far more constructive to do.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 12:28:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Why do some famous actors still feel the need to sit in parked cars in South Central LA at 2:30 am?

View Quote

That's what I was thinking.....

Scott

Link Posted: 11/11/2002 12:30:12 PM EDT
[#3]
[img]http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20021110/capt.1036968052.actor_killed_xmjc101.jpg[/img]

Nuff said ?
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 12:33:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I never liked Romeo... or Bullethead.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 12:46:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Rich and Famous? Never heard of him.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 12:56:34 PM EDT
[#6]
His bio page from IMDb:

[url]http://us.imdb.com/Name?Santana,+Merlin[/url]

Mostly a supporting player.....

Scott

Link Posted: 11/11/2002 1:34:36 PM EDT
[#7]
W H O  ?
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 1:36:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Who the Hell was he?? I have never heard of him or seen him before.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 1:41:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Ok. And this was brought to our attention because???
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 1:42:25 PM EDT
[#10]
W H O  ?
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 1:44:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

If he was simply sitting in his car, then it should make little difference where he chose to do this. South Central LA still has the best weather in all of Los Angeles. Too bad it suffered from a tremendous "white flight" in the late 50s. Nonetheless, you're blaming the victim.

On the other hand, if he was in South Central to take advantage of some illicit activity... well then, he understood the risks.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 1:44:55 PM EDT
[#12]
So?
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 2:39:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Saw it on the news.

Never heard of him.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 2:40:44 PM EDT
[#14]
It was the way he was wearing his ball cap, don't cha'know....
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 5:46:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If he was simply sitting in his car, then it should make little difference where he chose to do this. South Central LA still has the best weather in all of Los Angeles. Too bad it suffered from a tremendous "white flight" in the late 50s. Nonetheless, you're blaming the victim.

On the other hand, if he was in South Central to take advantage of some illicit activity... well then, he understood the risks.
View Quote

Despite your obfuscation, the fact remains that a man who is relatively successful is behaving is ways that place him on the level of any other street thug.  He chose live dangerously, and now he's dead.

Blame it on whitey if you will.  In my opinion, the absence of white people doesn't cause crime.  Your apparent disrespect of blacks is truely disturbing.  I have lived in communities where the black to white ratio is very high, and never seen crime.
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 10:12:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Despite your obfuscation, the fact remains that a man who is relatively successful is behaving is ways that place him on the level of any other street thug.  He chose live dangerously, and now he's dead.

Blame it on whitey if you will.  In my opinion, the absence of white people doesn't cause crime.  Your apparent disrespect of blacks is truely disturbing.  I have lived in communities where the black to white ratio is very high, and never seen crime.
View Quote

I wasn't trying to obscure anything. First, my I only was pointing out that the article gave no reason for him to be in South Central. He could have had family there or was dropping off a friend. We don't know. In such a situation, I find it illogical to first blame the victim (I'm hoping you also put some blame on the perpetrator).

Second, I show no disrespect for the black community. Your comment that you lived in a community with a high black:white ratio is interesting. I grew up in Watts. That's in the heart of South Central Los Angeles. So, I also grew-up in a community with a high black:white ratio, and I also have the edge in knowledge of the actual locale. Believe me, it was a nice area to grow-up in. It had the best weather, was nicely located, and had lot sizes that were quite decent, for being so close to an urban area.

Third, I witnessed the "white flight" back in the 50s and 60s. This left South Central economically blighted, since many of these people were "middle class" and professionals. My feeling is that this left the area susceptible to criminals, especially the gangs (Crips and Bloods) which surfaced shortly thereafter. I have no data to back me up, but my point was only that South Central is a nice location geographically, but awful with respect to it's economy. If you tend to take offense to my observation of the white flight back in the 50s-60s, I'm sorry. It was just my observation, as anecdotal as it may be.
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 10:20:10 AM EDT
[#17]
He was that cute little kid on the Cosby Show that was after always after little Rudy.  "Heyyyyy Buuud!"
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 11:22:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Never heard of him.
I thought you were referring to somebody else.
This rates a big "0" on my Concern-O-Meter!
Another dip-wad dead in LA......big deal..NOT!
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 11:40:20 AM EDT
[#19]
His film bio says he was in an episode of "JAG."  That alone should've gotten him "capped."
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 11:48:13 AM EDT
[#20]
i saw this on the news last night also, SURPRISINGLY the neighborhood he was shot in looked pretty DECENT, and yes there are pockets of nice neighborhoods in south central.
he wasnt a gangster or scum bag, contrary to popular belief on this forum, and it looks more like a pre-meditated attack VS random gangster shit.
he acted on the steve harvey show, and steve harvey was on the radio yesterday BLASTING GANGSTER RAP for helping to create a culture of violence for young black men, and that gangster rappers should take some blame for the death of this man.
my opinion of steve harvey has just gone up a few notchs.
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 1:58:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Listen, I'm not placing any "blame" on Whatshisface, I was merely commenting that it is amazing how successful people stay involved in crap even while they are making millions.  Couldn't he do somthing far more constructive with his free time?

Whatever the reason was for his murder, he placed himself in considerable risk by his actions, associations, habits, old friends, or whatever.

"White Flight" is a term that social liberals use to guilt people who decide to leave an area due to an increase in crime, or a decrease in property values.

Who made up some stupid law saying that once blacks and whites are equal in a neighborhood, no one is allowed to leave.  It pisses me off the blame these people place on folks who are simply trying to better their lives.

I have this idiotic sister-in-law who blames all the inner cities problems on "White-flight".  As if a neighborhoods problems can be blamed on "who isn't there anymore".  I hate the notion that black neighborhoods need white people to be nice.  It's a racist notion.

You aren't racist obviously.  I am glad you have had the opportunity to live in diverse areas.  I just get real upset when societies problems are blamed on white people and where they chose to live and not to live.
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 3:31:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Listen, I'm not placing any "blame" on Whatshisface, I was merely commenting that it is amazing how successful people stay involved in crap even while they are making millions.  Couldn't he do somthing far more constructive with his free time?

Whatever the reason was for his murder, he placed himself in considerable risk by his actions, associations, habits, old friends, or whatever.

"White Flight" is a term that social liberals use to guilt people who decide to leave an area due to an increase in crime, or a decrease in property values.

Who made up some stupid law saying that once blacks and whites are equal in a neighborhood, no one is allowed to leave.  It pisses me off the blame these people place on folks who are simply trying to better their lives.

I have this idiotic sister-in-law who blames all the inner cities problems on "White-flight".  As if a neighborhoods problems can be blamed on "who isn't there anymore".  I hate the notion that black neighborhoods need white people to be nice.  It's a racist notion.

You aren't racist obviously.  I am glad you have had the opportunity to live in diverse areas.  I just get real upset when societies problems are blamed on white people and where they chose to live and not to live.
View Quote

I'm not saying anyone needs to stay anywhere, I'm just stating what occurred within a period of two, maybe three years. You are correct about the inflammatory and racist nature of the term "White Flight" -- but I was only trying to point-out why the economics in the area took a nose-dive. I apologize deeply for using this term, I never thought it through, completely. Frankly, I should have said "Middle-Class Flight," because it wasn't only the whites who abandoned South Central. I don't know whether anyone would have understood that made-up term, though.

But actually, if your sister-in-law uses the term "white flight," you may try my term "middle-class flight," and see what she does. I know it's not just the whites who worry about their hard earned money draining into worthless property.

Finally, I've argued against racism on another forum. In that case, it was the institutional racism of affirmative action. I'm against all forms of racism that don't permit the best people to get the job; ie., I strongly believe in equal opportunity (competition not based on race).
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 3:47:30 PM EDT
[#23]
He must have felt guilty about all his $$$$$. He wanted to get back to his roots and hang with the homies (SP?) !!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 4:09:47 PM EDT
[#24]

HOMIES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 4:37:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Is that Buckwheat?......[@:D]
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 4:41:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well it ain't Fat Albert [;D]
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 5:03:44 PM EDT
[#27]
He [s]is[/s] was a great actor. I liked the Steve Harvey Show where he played Romeo Santana. Him and Bullethead were always getting into hillarious situations.
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 10:17:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Well it ain't Fat Albert [;D]
View Quote

It was Stymie![@:D]
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 10:25:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Morbidly funny;  When I clicked on the link in the first post I got a pop-up for term life insurance.
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 11:30:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Now, if it was CARLOS Santana, I might shed a tear. I have no idea who this guy was... Wrong place at the wrong time I guess...
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 12:11:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Annal nathrak oothfas bethard dokhail dienvay.
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 12:18:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top