User Panel

Posted: 11/11/2002 6:28:36 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 6:36:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 6:42:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 6:57:25 AM EDT
[#3]
It was inevitible.  The "war on drugs" was a front for an attack on our liberties.  Soon, people, and foreign countries got wise to that.  The "D" word was no longer enough to open bank records or start investigations.  Something had to replace it. Here it is.  I'm not saying that the 9/11 attack wasn't real or should be shrugged off.  But, it is obvious that it is beiong co opted for other uses.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 11:34:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Moot point, ya'll. The NSA (No Such Agency) has been doing this for years.

And do ya'll actually think anyone at the Pentagon would be capable of actually pulling this off? They're still buying $300 hammers.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 11:49:47 AM EDT
[#5]
sure the NSA has been doing it for years but previously the resources of the NSA (I will suggest, without having any actual knowledge) have been deemed too valuable to invade our liberties and inflame the people for "small time" stuff.

On the other hand, if the Feds can use this technology legally, such that it not only helps them pick targets for investigation but allows them to collect evidence not subject to suppression in an "above board" trial, that's a quantum leap. Furthermore, if they can pull it off, it may then be legitimately legal and not merely an illicit governmental activity. The legitimization of such activity would certainly make some citizens feel better about it. While I would strongly suggest upon initial impression that such a system would clearly violate traditional search and seizure doctrine, the Constitution has been so perverted that something like this might be legitimized on the grounds that it is necessary to protect against terrosrist threats (or whatever BS reason they can think up to extend the degree of federal control).

In short, while the Feds may have been doing it for years, it hasn't been quite kosher and has therefore been limited in application to say, detecting and locating spies, foiling international espionage, identifying very serious threats to international security and other types of "big" things. Using this technology against the everyday American citizen in an open manner, I would argue, is a big step forward (or backward depending on how you look at it).

edited to add: While your point about the hammers is well-taken (i.e. they can't possibly get that much info together to make much sense of it), I have no doubts in the abilities of law enforcement, coupled with advancements in technology to make sense of anything they think is criminal. While administrative agencies are often so bad they can screw up a one man parade, law enforcement has an uncanny ability to find crime (sometimes even where there is none). In short, this stuff scares the hell outta me.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 12:01:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Here's a hint:  Whenever the government says "it's planning" on doing anything, that means they've already done it and have been doing it for years.  They just got caught and somebody is about to release the details to the press.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 12:19:08 PM EDT
[#7]
ok, Im getting a kick-ass firewall.

not because I do anything wrong, I just believe in privacy.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 1:07:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Big Brother is watching. Strap on the foil hats and get into the bread line.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 1:10:41 PM EDT
[#9]
This will be good for us. Most of the world lives in a police state, so they must be right?
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 1:14:07 PM EDT
[#10]
PGP anyone?
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 1:26:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Moot point, ya'll. The NSA (No Such Agency) has been doing this for years.

And do ya'll actually think anyone at the Pentagon would be capable of actually pulling this off? They're still buying $300 hammers.
View Quote

That's why I love America.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 1:27:12 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't like it either, but it's been going on for quite some time..

Look up 'echelon' some time, you'll probably find some stuff that will scare the crap out of you, even if you aren't in the tinfoil hat crowd...
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 2:02:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
PGP anyone?
View Quote

Looks like PGP Freeware is back!!! I guess another company bought it from NA!

PGP FREEWARE

PGP Freeware 8.0 will be [b][red]available in Q4 2002.[/red][/b]

We will continue PGP's tradition of offering a freeware version of PGP Mail for non-commercial use.

PGP Freeware is a single-user product that includes the same core PGP Mail software that can be found in our PGP Desktop packages. PGP Mail encrypts electronic mail, files, and instant messages, and also provides the ability to create and manage PGP keys.

PGP Freeware is licensed solely to individual users for non-commercial use. Freeware may NOT be used for any commercial interactions. Users in commercial settings must immediately license PGP commercial products.

I wonder if they will continue to distribute the source and if they still have the freeware version of the Mobile Desktop & vault????

Anyone have the commercial versions of PGP Desktop or PGP Mobile Desktop?
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 2:05:14 PM EDT
[#14]
i bet the company that bought pgp freware is a company owned by the n s a boys.  comes withs its very own back door.

TXLEWIS
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 2:06:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Echelon = holly shit!!!!!

[url]http://archive.aclu.org/echelonwatch/faq.html[/url]
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 2:26:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
i bet the company that bought pgp freware is a company owned by the n s a boys.  comes withs its very own back door.

TXLEWIS
View Quote

I think (although I'm not sure since I'm not a computer genius) that releasing the source code would ensure that this is not the case.  

If you're really that worried, I think I still have PGP 2.6.3 around here somewhere if you're into using command lines. [;)]
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 2:40:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Yankee--

what version of PGP are you running?

Also, McAfee/NA never released the source of the current version through MIT, so you never know if there is a backdoor, even if they release the source later since they can just remove the backdoor before they release the source [;)]...

Link Posted: 11/11/2002 2:46:03 PM EDT
[#18]
PGP and other encrypted messages are the first things reviewed by parsers. You want to be monitored?- send everything encrypted.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 4:19:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Energizer,

I haven't used PGP in a while, but when I was involved with the ipl and cd image groups on usenet, I think the latest version I personally used was 2.6.3.

I'm guessing that version was safe since PGP hadn't been sold to Network Associates at that point.  Interesting that the source wouldn't show a backdoor in the software, but like I said, I don't know much about the "innards" of software.  

If they did release the source code for the latest version, couldn't somebody use that to make a "safe" build of PGP?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top